Importing airguns into India

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Importing airguns into India

Post by mundaire » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:35 pm

This is probably the most frequently asked question on the forum and even though we have 2 "sticky" threads covering each method of import, most people don't seem to be ready to search through the many posts on those threads to find the information that they seek.

Before I start off, everything contained herein is ALSO covered in the following threads in the Airguns forum here:

Airgun import experiences - via personal baggage route

Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

This article is merely an attempt to condense the main points into a single page for easy reference.

What airguns can be legally held in India without a license (is there a power restriction on airguns in India)?

While most airguns have been exempted from the provisions of the Arms Act vide Item No. 1(3) of Schedule (ii) OF GSR 991 of the Indian Arms Act 1959, there is INDEED a "power limit" on these airguns. This power limit is checked via an antiquated "deal wood test". In the test a pellet is shot at a 1" thick block of deal wood (soft wood lumber, mostly fir or pine wood) from a distance of 5 feet. If the pellet penetrates through the 1" block of deal wood and exits from the other side, the airgun is considered to have "failed" the test and would be REQUIRED to be entered onto an Arms License like any other firearm.

Now onto the import of airguns. As you would have figured out from the links to the two threads mentioned above, there are basically ONLY TWO ways in which an airgun can be legally imported into India. In both cases import is allowed ONLY FOR PERSONAL use and NO COMMERCIAL IMPORTS ARE CURRENTLY ALLOWED.

SCENARIO 1 - IMPORT VIA COURIER/ POST

The Dept. Of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Govt. of India vide it's Notification No. 12 (RE-2005)/2004-09 Dated 04 July 2005 ALLOWED the import of .177 calibre airguns/ air-pistols by shooters registered with Rifle Clubs or District/ State/ National Rifle Association(s). A scanned copy of this notification is attached along with this post as is a copy of the rule exempting the levy of any import duty.

Please note the conditions for importing via this route:

1. The importer MUST be a current member of a Rifle Club/ Shooting Association as mentioned above.

2. The airguns/ air-pistols imported can ONLY be in .177 calibre

3. So far an import duty of ~ 35% was being charged on the CIF (Cost+Insurance+Freight) value of the goods imported. However, this duty has now been reduced to ZERO. However, customs officials are likely to wait for an official notification (maybe sometime early next month), BEFORE they begin to waive of import duties on these items. UPDATE - the zero duty regime is now a reality :)

4. Needless to say, the imported airguns/ air-pistols must be able to pass the deal wood test mentioned above.

5. Currently there is NO CLARITY on the imports of pellets/ BBs via this route, therefore they are likely to be confiscated. UPDATE - The imports of .177 cal pellets has now been allowed, I will try and attach the relevant notification here sometime soon.

SCENARIO 2 - IMPORT AS PERSONAL BAGGAGE

Anyone returning from overseas may carry back an airgun/ air-pistol with him/ her. The following conditions would apply:

1. There is NO RESTRICTION on calibre as such using this route therefore import of .22 calibre airguns should not be a problem.

2. There is NO REQUIREMENT of the returning passenger being a member of a Rifle Club/ Shooting Association.

3. Duty charged should be ~ 35% but this is highly dependant on the interpretation of the customs officer on duty, I have heard of a case wherein someone was charged 100% import duty! :shock:

4. Baggage rules leave a lot of room for the discretion/ judgement of the customs officer on duty. Therefore while a club membership is not required, having one may help your case in certain circumstances.

5. How things work out varies widely, in some cases the customs officer charges duty on the airgun and releases the baggage immediately. In others, the airgun is impounded and one must then go to the firearms branch of the local police to have it verified as being an airgun (and not a firearm) before they will release the airgun. Therefore having an immediate onward connection is not a good idea, factor in a day or maybe two towards possible customs hassles. Not saying that it will happen, but it CAN - so best to be prepared.

6. PLEASE check with your airline well in advance to your departure as to their requirements for checking in an airgun in your baggage. Some airlines are helpful, others are not. Airguns are classified as "dangerous goods" as per all airlines and you should contact the airlines "dangerous goods" department for this information. There may be additional requirements (for e.g. packing it in a TSA certified gun case) depending on where you would be boarding. Please arrive at the airport EARLY to take care of any last minute delays due to the hassle of checking in the airgun.

7. One may carry back 2000 pellets per returning passenger, however this is not always enforced to the "T" and the customs officer may confiscate a larger or even lesser quantity than this number. It's entirely on your luck.

8. As per TSA regulations while checking in gas canisters for PCP/ CO2 airguns while boarding a flight, the the pressure vessel MUST be empty AND disassembled so that the TSA official on duty can make a visual inspection of the INSIDE of the container to verify that it is indeed empty. While this is not always strictly enforced, please do keep this in mind if boarding a flight in USA. May be a good idea to ship the (empty) cylinder/ cannister via post/ courier separately.

9. Needless to say, the imported airguns/ air-pistols must be able to pass the deal wood test mentioned above.

Telescopes

While the import of telescopes is allowed, a scope if presented along with a gun whether mounted or not is a restricted item and will most probably be confiscated. Therefore attempting to import a telescope along with your airgun via post/ courier is NOT RECOMMENDED and if you are carrying it back with you as baggage while returning from overseas MAKE SURE you pack it in a separate case and NOT along with the airgun. Most airport security/ airlines WILL NOT allow you to carry a rifle scope as cabin (hand) baggage so you will need to pack it with your check in baggage.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mundaire on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:16 pm

I would like some information on this matter as well. I have a friend in India who is a NRAI member and wants to import an airgun. I understand it will have to be a .177.

What are the other details though? Are there any forms online? How much duty? In other words, how does one go about doing this?

panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

hi conty

Post by panks » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:31 pm

hi, im sorry to say but seems you only get professors around here to talk theory and trying to guide people. Nobody seems to have live experience, except one guy Devjyoti barooah, speak to him and he will let you know details

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: hi conty

Post by Sujay » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:33 pm

panks wrote:hi, im sorry to say but seems you only get professors around here to talk theory and trying to guide people.

The bait is not taken 8)
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:03 pm

panks wrote:hi, im sorry to say but seems you only get professors around here to talk theory and trying to guide people. Nobody seems to have live experience, except one guy Devjyoti barooah, speak to him and he will let you know details

I agree.... it seems people were more into this when we were on the yahoogroups... now, they just stick to the 'threads' they are interested in!! :?

panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

hi sujoy

Post by panks » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:21 pm

hi sujoy, that comment is not meant specifically for u buddy, its a general statement as many ppl comment on the imports and infact they havent got it themselves. No offence meant and nothing personal here for you or against u.

rahul567
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

some help

Post by rahul567 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:16 pm

there is this arms dealer in delhi (kashmiri gate) called singhs armoury who is an authorized dealer for diana. u need to hv NRAI or affiliated clubs membership proof and he will import it for u.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: some help

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:25 pm

rahul567 wrote:there is this arms dealer in delhi (kashmiri gate) called singhs armoury who is an authorized dealer for diana. u need to hv NRAI or affiliated clubs membership proof and he will import it for u.
And how much will he charge for that service?

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

how much will he charge?

Post by dev » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:38 pm

Not much just an arm or leg :roll:

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:45 pm

panks wrote:hi, im sorry to say but seems you only get professors around here to talk theory and trying to guide people. Nobody seems to have live experience, except one guy Devjyoti barooah, speak to him and he will let you know details
Panks,

Pretty much everyone here seems to be driven by a desire to help out fellow shooters... no one is being paid for the advice they give - and it is pretty much upto the person asking for advice/ other readers to decide for themselves the value of the advice being given!

Such comments are unwelcome to say the least and you are requested to keep such negative comments to yourself in future... they are unhelpful and create needless friction on the board.

If you/ anyone else is unhappy with the advice being given by fellow members, you are free to hire a lawyer/ get other professional assistance.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

rahul567
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

hi

Post by rahul567 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:00 am

hi inder,
as far as i cld understand from my conversation with the guy, he gives the price from the diana price list and since he is a dealer , diana gives him his margin. and oh 1 major thingh i forgot there is a custom duty of 37.5 %
rahul

denzilmatthew
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Air rifle and air pistol imports

Post by denzilmatthew » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm

hi I am Denzil Matthew I also want to know who r the dealer dealing in AIR GUN. I want to purchase .177 Diana Air gun

mehulkamdar

Re: Air rifle and air pistol imports

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:35 pm

Denzil,

You should post this query on the Guns Wanted section, not here. Also check the dealers' list and find a dealer close to you. Please post on the appropriate forums.

Welcome to Indians For Guns.

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Air pistol in your check-in luggage?

Post by conty1 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:00 am

Folks,

I am flying to India later this month. Since I wont be able to compromise a full bag for a case for a Air Rifle, can I carry the Crosman Classic that I have with me inside one of the bags? Does anyone know if this can be done? Has anyone actually done something like this?

Thanks,
Amit

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Air pistol in your check-in luggage?

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:11 am

Amit,

That’s depending upon the air-line you flying with. Like in case of Ranjeet Emirates allowed him to carry a rifle in his bag whereas Lufthansa insists upon a separate airline approved bag. Best to check with the airline you flying with, I don't think you will have much problem with the customs for Crossman pistol.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...