Help needed - Info on my old hammer gun-W.J. Jeffery(Pics)

Posts related to shotguns.
herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Help needed - Info on my old hammer gun-W.J. Jeffery(Pics)

Post by herb » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi Guys,

Old hammer guns are making a come back and I started researching one of mine. Any information about this gun/value or history will be appreciated. I know some of you have have hammer Jefferey's and it will be appreciated if you can post some pictures....

I have posted on a few other forums and will share if anything interesting comes up. I have learnt that its made around 1898-1901 so that makes this lady about 110 years old.

Thanks
Herbert
Last edited by herb on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
doc_brar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Help needed - Info on my old hammer gun-W.J. Jeffery(Pics)

Post by doc_brar » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:16 pm

these types are available in punjab for around Rs 15000/-to 30000/- depending on the condition we call it ' bahar ghode wali 'in punjabi .

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi Herb,

funny thing, I just finished 'restoring'.... rather rescuing a thoroughly buggered up WJ Jeffreys No.1 Farmers Gun ... not too different from yours. Hammer gun, 32 inch SxS...and somewhat unusually -3" Chambers.

From the proofs (If my proof reading isn't too off) it seems to have been made not earlier than 1904.

As for info and value of your gun, you could try asking Grumpy.

Nice sturdy gun.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:06 pm

doc_brar wrote:these types are available in punjab for around Rs 15000/-to 30000/- depending on the condition we call it ' bahar ghode wali 'in punjabi .
Dr. Brar,

I would love to own one of these "bahar ghode wali s " . Can you give me a lead as to where in Punjab are they available ?

best,

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:58 pm

Cottage_c - Can you post a few photos of the restored gun.

There is a renewed interest in hammer guns... so if you have a good hammer gun, take care of it.

http://www.shotgunlife.com/Shotguns/the ... r-gun.html

AYA has come out with a new hammer gun with a price tag of $20000...http://www.aya-fineguns.com/shotguns_2. ... ria=&id=73

Many more manufacturers will be offering hammer guns including Purdey and they will be expensive because of the work involved in making them.

Herb

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:58 am

Herb,

A very nice gun indeed. I am sure I must have posted a picture of a similar W.J. Jeffery hammer gun on IFG.Let me check. Grumpy definitely had one and I handled it and took pictures of it.If you could PM
El Grumposaurus and get him see this post, he should be able to throw some light on it.Also, Tworivers.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:14 am

herb

Thats a sweat gun and as Vikram suggested ping Grumpy maybe this will lure him back. I am saving monies to buy such a 'English' s' shotty one of these days unless I fall for Connecticut shotgun.

Best

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:15 am

Will send Grumpy & TR a PM.

Cottage_cheese - You mentioned that the gun you restored had 3in chambers. Did you measure the chambers or was it engraved some where on the gun ? If yes, a picture of this will be highly appreciated.

Herb

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:27 am

herb wrote:Will send Grumpy & TR a PM.

Cottage_cheese - You mentioned that the gun you restored had 3in chambers. Did you measure the chambers or was it engraved some where on the gun ? If yes, a picture of this will be highly appreciated.

Herb
Hi Herb,

Please don't tag it as a "restoration" as I mentioned, it would be more correct to call it a rescue! :)
...and add to that a rather stingy customer with some peculiar tastes.... thus a lot of limitations to work on.

The 3" chambers are specified on the proof marks.

Also a small correction...since I'm still learning proofs... it would be a date no earlier than 1902 - not 1904. As per its general characteristics and serial range Grumpy tells me it would be of 1920's vintage.

It is a wild-fowler btw.

Don't laugh at the images... I'm a poor photographer.... :)

Regards,
cc

Image[/quote]
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

doc_brar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by doc_brar » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:53 am

The Doc wrote:
doc_brar wrote:these types are available in punjab for around Rs 15000/-to 30000/- depending on the condition we call it ' bahar ghode wali 'in punjabi .
Dr. Brar,

I would love to own one of these "bahar ghode wali s " . Can you give me a lead as to where in Punjab are they available ?

best,

Rp.
i saw these in punjab gun house muktsar .i was sitting there and one fellow came to sell his gun and was offered 15000/-. when he asked the dealer if he could get him another one for the same price the dealer put two in front of him . i then picked up one gun and dry fired it and the hammer broke!! the dealer told me no problem and not to worry. he then told me that all such guns are 100 to 150 year old pieces of junk and have no reliabilty only good for keeping in the show window.

arshad_ahmad48
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by arshad_ahmad48 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:57 am

Dear Herb,

Please checkout this link to know your gun better.

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad10 ... 48/jef.jpg

Thanks n regards,
Arshad
In business, being the first doesn't mean anything. Getting it right is the recipe that defines everything.

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:08 pm

a_a48 -Thanks for the picture, old catalog entries are very interesting. The gun is exactly same as cottage_c's.

Cottage_c - Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. Does this gun have a recoil pad or is it like mine ? Is the proof 12 C in a diamond or 12 LC. My gun has "2 3/4 case" engraved on the underside of the barrel does yours have "3 Case"?

coltpython
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by coltpython » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:18 pm

Thats a really nice gun there herb. :D

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:00 pm

herb wrote: Cottage_c - Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. Does this gun have a recoil pad or is it like mine ? Is the proof 12 C in a diamond or 12 LC. My gun has "2 3/4 case" engraved on the underside of the barrel does yours have "3 Case"?
Hi Herb,

The gun in question had its original stock replaced years ago by another gunsmith so its not an original. As such the wood while pretty sturdy is coarse. I had difficulty cutting 20LPI checkering because of the fibrous grain. As of now it sports a cheapish plastic butt pad.

Since I'm pretty much a washout with photography, I'm attaching instead, a photoshop representation of the proofs on the gun.

regards,
cc

kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kragiesardar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:19 am

That's one awesome gun!