Some info for the ISSF = Formula 1 crowd

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:45 pm

Mehul,

Rapid Fire is now shot with .22lr only. Not that it would be much preparation for medium to large bore pistol hunting.

10 metre air-pistol is far cheaper than 10 metre air-rifle. Is Dave Schrank a rifle coach only?

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:07 am

Mack The Knife,

Dave coaches rimfire and centerfire pistol, 50 m rifle, 10m air rifle and air pistol events. He doesn't coach 300m rifle and shotgun events. Dave is a very nice guy and Deepak wanted to get coached by him but finally dropped his plans as he decided to buy his air rifle in Europe instead of the USA.

Are you planning to send someone for coaching here? I would be hapopy to take them there and introduce them to Dave if you want me to.

Cheers,

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:08 am

mehulkamdar wrote:Are you planning to send someone for coaching here?
No, Mehul. Was curious that's all.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:31 am

Yeah Mehul, I am also looking for a 10m home range and a decent air rifle or pistol, to 'keep my eye in' and get the wife into shooting a bit-the inlaws have a bit of land-mango orchards etc and have a few guns-which I'm supposed to see this winter at the annual family gathering at the native village-several 12's, an Evan 'of purdey' 16 s/s :P and a 300 savage and a few other un ID'd ones.Lets see if I can pull off a Dev and get meself a 'decent' 177 airpistol by mail??!!
But in heart of hearts would want to pop off a something thunderous, at about 300m(even if at a tree stump...)the bigger the better!Ah, the smell of cordite :wink:
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:06 pm

Asif,

The next time you make it to the US if you have a couple of days to spare we could drive from Chicago to St Louis or to Appleton - in both places I have very goodf riends with large gun collections and hopefully, I shall also be getting there with a slowly increasing collection of my own.

Speaking of the "really big stuff" I have been offered a 50 BMG rifle though I am not sure what I would do with it if I bought it, though the price is very reasonable for the one I am talking about. I just might buy it to shoot a little and then trade/sell it for a profit if I decide to. There are quite a few big rifles here though the best time to come would be during one or another of the BGRC matches where the members are always generous to a fault and you wuld get to shoot more really big rifles than you probably could anywhere else in the world except in Australia where the BGRC is headquartered.

I am thinking seriously about buying the Gamo for myself - it looks like a fun little gun to shoot and should be superb on rabbits and doves next year. Otherwise air rifles are simply too expensive in this country.

As far as SWMBO is concerned, I don't want her to do any air rifle shooting as I simply cannot see the point of it. Presuming that she agrees to rough it out and hunt with me at a later stage, the silly 10 m matches would do her no good at all. The fixed distance 50 and 300 metre matches are also not much better overall as far as field shooting experience is concerned, but the longer distances are more practical than the ridiculous 10 metre distance is. Anyway, I must stop criticising the ISSF sports before someone protests that I am biased against them to an incurable degree despite my wanting to get my wife involved in them. :lol:

Cheers,

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:15 pm

the ridiculous 10 metre distance is.
Nothing ridiculous about it. Hit the 10 ten times out of ten with any air-rifle/pistol and associated equipment of your choice and I will buy you that NRA Gamo. You have a month to prepare for it. Fair enough? :wink:

Mehul, if you want Preethi (hope I got it right?) to accompany you in the field and get a shooting based scholarship, then your only options are trap or skeet or any other non-static shooting sport that the scholarship recognises. Static shooting will never prepare her fully for the field and you know that.

Come on, open those purse strings you so-and-so. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:02 pm

Mack The Knife,

No idea about hitting the 10m 10 ring ten times with an air rifle but I am game for a go with either my 8 mm Mauser or my 22 lr Marlin. Let's see if I could organise it and post pics here - this is a particularly busy month and we have a major shipment due in three weeks time. I will get round to it shortly, though, just to show that what the air rifles can do, forearms can do much more easily. :lol:

The problem with buying a competitive shotgun would be the huge cost - a Holloway and Naughton would cost as much as my house :lol: and a top of the line Ljutic or Kolar as much as my car if not more. If I were spending that much money on guns, don't you think I should spend it on something for myself? :lol:

Anyway, Preethi will be going to visit s very good friend early next week, a friend whose daughter and son in law have a huge collection of guns. I shall ask them to take her shooting at my old club and she could decide what she is comfortable with. I agree with you that fixed distance matches are crap as far as real world shooting is concerned. Unfortunately, they are the easiest way to a scholarship as well.