Reloading Shotgun Cartridges

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Reloading Shotgun Cartridges

Post by snIPer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:48 pm

On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:18 pm

IS it allowed in India?
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

penpusher

Re: Reloading Shotgun Cartridges

Post by penpusher » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:24 pm

badshah0522";p="59732 wrote: IS it allowed in India?
For the last time YES!!!!! yes yes yes yes yes yes............ :roll:

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:06 pm

i think the only options would be to use black powder as smokeless powders are not available :)

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:43 pm

Apart from black powder i have also come across some sort of silvery granuals which i was told is good.
Some of the experts on shotguns here should give us a few tips into manual loading of shells.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:28 am

I haven't loaded nearly as many shotgun shells as I have metallic cartridges, but I've done a few.

One product which is not made anymore, is called a "Lee Loader" and they worked OK for what they are. I've loaded literally hundreds of 20 gauge shells with one of these, but also ditched it and never looked back at the first opportunity!

Here is what they look like:

link to an ebay auction, there are quite a few on sale there:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lee-Loader-12-guage ... 240%3A1318

Anyway, that is the simplest/cheapest way to get started and from there it can go to things costing more than the guns shooting the shells! I've fired a few blackpowder shells, they work fine other than the smoke and you need to clean the guns after shooting. The main issue is locating a source for primers, find those and the rest becomes affordable, or at least more affordable than many of the shells.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:46 am

Blackpowder is far safer for reloading shotshells, if you do not have the equipment, measures and scales, nor the information for those greyish granules. With the incorrect smokeless powder, and the wrong charge, things can get nasty very quickly. That is why our shotshell reloading data always cautions to use the data exatly as given; case, wads, primer, everything! Also, locally manufacture so called smokeless powders can be extremely corrosive, as I learned to my sorrow in Afghanistan many years ago. Cheers.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi TwoRivers,
What exactly happened in Afghanistan.
Please do tell.
We all would love to hear it?
Thanks
To Excellence through Diligence.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:56 am

Well, to begin with, while attending high school in Kabul, I was excused from some classes that were not taught in foreign language, such as Pashto, religion, history. Whenever I had a two hour block free I'd head for the bazaar where I had made friends with several gun sellers. One of them, in particular, was a quite an enterprising fellow, remanufacturing primers and ammunition, repairing and restoking guns, as well as producing his own version of "smokeless" powder. Working with a blacksmith this fellow would make resizing dies, reamers, wad punches,etc., with nothing but files, hacksaw, a hand drill, and a pair of plain calipers.

Whenever he got hold of a cartridge that had misfired, the bullet would be pulled and components salvaged. It all went into a metal olive oil can, regardless of whether it was pistol, shotgun, or rifle powder. Cordite was cut up with scissors into short length. Before use the can was well shaken. That was one source of powder, not for sale. More remarkable was the "smokeless" powder he made. It was granular, looking like a coarse grained black powder, but an off-white color. Very much like coarse cream-of-wheat, or grits. Its manufacture involved cooking grease in the final coating, and mice loved it, according to him.

Among other calibers I was reloading for my mom's little 28 gauge Sauer double at the time, and proceeded to do so, the powder to be used in equal measure as black. The loads seemed to work fine, giving a light brown smoke. I had planned to go duck hunting that evening, so did not clean the gun. But due to heavy rain we did not go, and again I waited with the cleaning. By the next afternoon both bores were totally rusty, leaving shallow pitting despite my best scrubbing efforts.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:44 am

I had a Lee Loader as well Timmy* ..... and found it THE most tedious business reloading with it. The guy in the video has got it down to a fine art .... although making-up maximum pistol loads with a measure is a recipe for disaster - a measure cannot be used for any `hot` load, rifle or pistol. One thing that is for certain is that I didn`t make hundreds of rounds with the Lee Loader because I lost patience very quickly and bought a progressive press.
The economics of shotshell reloading in the UK are nominal so hardly anyone bothers.
Black powder residue is extraordinarily hygroscopic - it`ll suck moisture out of desert air.
( *Oops. Sorry Mark. )
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:33 am

Actually, I do have two inexpensive Lee Presses for shotgun: one in 12 gauge, and one in 16 gauge. This is what they look like:

Mine are older ones without the primer feed, and so I have to load each primer by hand. They work more or less like more expensive presses, except that everything is plastic, except for a metal ring that is pushed down to resize the brass base. These are not presses to be used for the heavy user: for that, you should get a sturdier, more expensive piece of equipment. But for casual reloading, they are great and a huge improvement over "one at a time" solutions.

I must echo 100% what Two Rivers says: you can't fool around with shotgun reloading, like you can with rifles and handguns. Changing just one component: a primer, a wad, powder, or a hull, can lead to disaster! Don't do it? You can, however, go with black powder and use the old dram measurements.

My cartridge reloading setup is the very common RCBS Rockchucker:

They are a good strong press that really are best suited to rifles. I wanted something that would reload for 300 H&H, which I did not get until after buying the press. A Rockchucker works well for long cartridges like these. They are strong and very durable. One should never wear out.

For handgun cartridges, it is tedious to use. They are too big and one wastes a lot of motion and time operating it for tiny 38 Specials and 45 ACPs.

My plan has been to get a little Lyman turret press. These haven't been made for a long time, but are small and handy. They work fine for small cases that don't require a lot of power. Their negative point is that they take small dies used in the old Lyman 310 "Tong Tool." However, there is a guy in Pennsylvania who makes a six station turret that is bored for the common 7/8" dies, and since I want at least five stations, that is what I want to do.

For handgun cartridges, I like to seat the bullet in one stage and taper (not roll) crimp it in another stage. This requires 4 dies and then I want another station for the powder measure.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:35 am

Timmy this is what you need for your handguns ammo.You can reload about 750 to 800 rounds in hrs.In this press i had a five stations,only i have to do is place the bullet on the case everything else is auto.

I am using this for 9MM,40S&W,38Spl.and .223Rem.

Here is my Dillon 650XL.
Here is my Lee four hole turret press for my 300 Win. Mag. and 7MM Rem.Mag.
Here is both press on my reloading table.

I do have a press for shotgun as well but i am not reloading anymore ammo for my shotgun.My shotgun press sites in my garage and collecting dust.It's on sale now but FREE for IFG members, keep in mind that there is some parts are missing.I will post the pictures tomorrow.

Baljit

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:29 am

Baljit, a Dillon press is the top of the line! Very nice! I am envious.

The Lee Turret Press is good, too, as you can get 4 stations out of it and it is long enough for rifle work. However, back in the antediluvian days when I bought the Rockchucker, Lee did not have those nice, reasonably priced tools available. I have, however, bought Lee carbide sizer dies for all handgun cartridges, which saves a lot of work and time.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:05 am

Very nice press Baljit.

Tim,
I also use Lee Carbide resizing dies for my handgun reloading. Saves a lot of hassle.
I don't load enough to justify more than a single stage press. I just have a simple Lee breech lock Challenger.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:02 pm

I will take that shotgun press if thats okay with you.
:)
To Excellence through Diligence.