Why wasn't I warned that skeet can be addictive?

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Why wasn't I warned that skeet can be addictive?

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:22 pm

I have enough expenses without adding another to the list! :evil:

But what the hell, it was FUN! :mrgreen:

This morning two friends and I drove down to the range and there met another friend who has just joined. So the four of us sign for the guns, 25 rounds each (that is all we get per week) and a box of 150 birds and head off to the trap and skeet range.

Off the four, I last shot a shotgun in December 2003 and I was absolutely new to it then, whilst another friend, Shankar, had never even shot a shotgun in his life. The other two had a reasonable amount of experience.

Unfortunately for me, my last foray in 2003 had yielded a score of 2 hits from 20 shots, so it was with a very trepidating heart that I entered the range. Shankar must have felt the same and I guess neither of us wanted to look a fool in front of the other two. So after a bit of "you first", "no, no, you first" I decided to get on with it.

Took position directly under the high house. "PULL!" BANG! Bloody miss! Stay at the same station and ask for a bird from the low house next. "PULL!" BANG. HIT! From then on all inhibitions were cast to the wind and by the end of the complete circuit I had seven hits from twenty five shots and a nice big smile. Yes, I know it's a pathetic score but it was fun and that's all that matters....at this stage. ;)

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Re: Why wasn't I warned that skeet can be addictive?

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:59 pm

Hey, good, buddy! Now you're truly and well addicted to shotgunning! The next step is to take up Trap and Sporting matches. Just move over to the US or Canada - I know where you can get B&P target 12 bore ammunition for less than $ 3.50 a box of 25. :wink: Feed your addiction and have a great time!

Cheers,

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:15 pm

Mehul,

It's a fun discipline, the atmosphere also seems to be less constricting or stuffy compared to the rifle and pistol events, barring 300m big bore, which I am told is also shot in a fun environment.

However, I wont fool myself into believing that I can achieve much in the shotgunning disciplines - it's just too expensive for me. I'd be more than content to shoot 25 to 50 rounds per month. Learn the basics and keep my eye in. That will have to suffice under the present circumstances.

How much do you pay for a box of 150 clays? We paid Rs.710.00 for a box today.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:22 pm

I think that it`s the repitition and predictability of Skeet that is so addictive - when you mess up a shot you know that the next time you shoot a round you can try again as the clays always come in the set order on the various stations. The really annoying thing is the ones that you miss from about six feet. The Trap disciplines aren`t as much fun and English/FITASC Sporting layouts change every shoot.
What I want to try are those `whirlybirds` - never done that.
Glad you had a good time Dodger.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:53 pm

I think that it`s the repitition and predictability of Skeet that is so addictive.
Hi Grumpy,

Perhaps I am an exception to the rule as I tire of repetition. Used to practice almost everyday when I was shooting 10m air-pistol and that literally burnt me out. I am pretty sure what I want out of this new discipline - to learn a new skill and keep it fun. Not that I would refuse shooting a hundred rounds a day, if I could.

What exactly are these whirlybirds? You aren't cross at helicopters by any chance, are you? :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:27 am

Mack The Knife,

Never bought a box of clays myself, but a game of 5 tower clays at Amit's club costs about $ 6 including a box of 25 shells. As a non member I have to pay $ 6 a day to shoot there, though there is no restriction on the number of games I shoot in. I'll check with Fleet Farm and let you know what the prices are here, or, Mark may know.

Cheers,

Mehul

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:05 am

Dodger, you have to admit that shooting 10m targets for hours a day bears little relation to shooting a round of Skeet. I`m not suggesting that you do it for hours a day, every day though......that would bore me solid as well. Couldn`t handle putting little holes in paper at 10m for very long - shooting 25m .22 pistol once a week used to bore me.
I have to admit that I enjoy sighting rifles in @ 100 and 200 metres. Isn`t competitive but is fun - especially if I take a selection. I think that maybe I`ve had enough of competitive shooting - including the clay disciplines - I do hardly any nowadays and the prospect doesn`t excite me. BOF I guess.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:07 am

Sorry - `whirlybirds`= Helice.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:44 am

BOF I guess.
You got me....again. BOF?

Just Googled Helice... http://itishooting.com/Helice.asp Novice or not, I wouldn't mind a round or two of that.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:15 pm

Yup, supposedly rather difficult.....but looks quite entertaining.
`BOF` - `Boring Ole Fart`.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:03 pm

Ah! I am not sure if the BOF tag applies to you but my wife is of the opinion that I was the founding father but what does she know.... ;)

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:52 pm

Does your Missus know mine ? Seems like they have something in common. I wonder if the term `old Buffer` should really be `old Boffer` ?