Scope import experiences - via post/ courier route

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Zafar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Scope import experiences - via post/ courier route

Post by Zafar » Sun May 04, 2008 2:33 pm

We hear conflicting reports about scope , some say it is legal and others say its illegal even to sell or own one. but we have seen many a scope deals on this board. People have brought back scope with them from overseas , albeit one thing which seems to be undisputed is that it should not be mounted on a rifle.have anybody imported a scope via post/ courier ? what was the result?
please share your knowledge on this one
providing links to rules or notifications will be much helpful
Thanks

shukriya
-
Zafar
Ignore the Ignorance of the Ignorant
-
Zafar

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Post by shahid » Sun May 04, 2008 4:48 pm

No idea, people do own it, it is sold in India in the grey market mostly, custom officials ( some not all ) claim it is banned and mostly it passes unchecked in personal baggage, that's the synopsis I have no idea of the official line on this.

IOF .22 comes with a scope rail.

IOF .315 has attachments developed in India for scopes.

No riflescope is made in India.

So all this development is to attach which scope ?

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun May 04, 2008 9:34 pm

i think i read somewhere on the forum by sid who did some detail work on scopes in palika bazzar.

as i recollect there was a mentioned something like that to sell a scope one needed to do a sell deed or something like this. but is not banned item.

i would check it out but being Sunday i am feeling a bit lazy.

regards

Zafar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Zafar » Wed May 07, 2008 6:38 pm

thanks Shahid bhai and Naga

-
Zafar
Ignore the Ignorance of the Ignorant
-
Zafar

penpusher

Re: Scope import experiences - via post/ courier route

Post by penpusher » Mon May 12, 2008 4:38 pm

A rifle scope is considered to be part of a firearm when mounted on one.The chapter on the import of firearms clearly points out that it excludes scopes unless mounted on a firearm.It also excludes article of general use of base metal.
Last edited by penpusher on Mon May 12, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Mon May 12, 2008 4:45 pm

This sunday, Palika shopkeepers spooked on the mention of a rifle scope and pointed everytime to gun-shops for getting one.

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue May 13, 2008 12:06 am

Forget about Palika Bazaar or optics dealer, ask someone to carry it for you from Dubai or Bangkok.

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:43 am

yash3_great";p="43688 wrote: This sunday, Palika shopkeepers spooked on the mention of a rifle scope and pointed everytime to gun-shops for getting one.
Go to one of the stores that sell cameras/other lenses, and ask them if they have a scope. I have in person seen them carrying scopes and also took pictures of em. they must be on the forums somewhere. the only Duck up is they had plastic mounts. But yes the scope was a 3-9 nikko one.

Cheers
Siddharth

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue May 13, 2008 9:50 pm

http://customsgujarat.nic.in/chap-93.pdf

Section XIX of the Exim Policy,Chapter 93,Arms and ammunition; parts and accessories thereof.

1. This Chapter does not cover:

(d) telescopic sights or other optical devices suitable for use with arms, unless mounted on a firearm or presented with the firearm on which they are designed to be mounted (Chapter 90);

http://customsgujarat.nic.in/chap-90.pdf

SECTION XVIII
OPTICAL, PHOTOGRAPHIC, CINEMATOGRAPHIC, MEASURING, CHECKING, PRECISION, MEDICAL OR SURGICAL INSTRUMENTS AND APPARATUS; CLOCKS AND WATCHES; MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; PARTS AND ACCESSORIES THEREOF
CHAPTER 90

Note.

4. Heading 9005 does not apply to telescopic sight for fitting to arms, periscopic telescopes for fitting to submarines or tanks, or to telescopes for machines, appliances, instruments or apparatus of this Chapter or Section XVI;such telescopic sights and telescopes are to be classified in heading 9013.

http://dgciskol.nic.in/pdfs/CHP_90.pdf

901310 - Telescopic sights for fitting to arms; periscopes;telescopes designed to form parts of machines,appliances, instruments or apparatus of
this Chapter or Section XVI:

90131010 --- Telescopic sights for fitting to arms

So the import of a telescopic sight,unless mounted on a firearm is not covered under the chapter governing the import of firearms and their accessories but by the chapter that deals with optical instruments and the rate of duty is 15%.

However the import of these is restricted http://dgft.delhi.nic.in/itchs2006.htm
Last edited by penpusher on Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Wed May 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi penpusher,

What rules apply then to import the scope?

-Tirtha

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed May 14, 2008 7:15 pm

tirths";p="43785 wrote: Hi penpusher,

What rules apply then to import the scope?

-Tirtha
:banghead:

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed May 14, 2008 9:44 pm

let me join u penpusher

ochh ochh :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: occh

Zafar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Zafar » Wed May 14, 2008 10:02 pm

A BIG thank you penpusher pai

-
Zafar

NB:this link is ging an error . Could you qoute the rule in it
However the import of these is restricted http://dgft.delhi.nic.in/det2006.asp
shukriya

OhGod424
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by OhGod424 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:58 am

I just imported a Desert Eagle CO2 blowback pistol WITH a Walther PS22 Electronic Point Sight from USA usinf FedEx, don't know if this qualifies as a scope or not but did not face any problem swith clearance or anything. BTW I do not have a shooting club membership as of now.

HTH

Akshat

Lawman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lawman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:28 am

OhGod424 wrote:I just imported a Desert Eagle CO2 blowback pistol WITH a Walther PS22 Electronic Point Sight from USA usinf FedEx, don't know if this qualifies as a scope or not but did not face any problem swith clearance or anything. BTW I do not have a shooting club membership as of now.

HTH

Akshat
Hi Akshat, from where you have bought the CO2 pistol ? Did you import the CO2 capsules by FedEx ? Please share the procedure in the forum. It will help us all.

Lawman