What should one look for when buying a used shotgun.....

Posts related to shotguns.
Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: What should one look for when buying a used shotgun.....

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:17 pm

Grumpy wrote: People invariably start shooting with chokes that are too tight - you`ll kill more with a barrel choked Cylinder than you`ll ever do with Full choke.
well, Grumpy is much more experienced than me and it has been a very informative post, While the statement is true in its absolute sense, but then I quite don't agree with this part of the post.

I am of the opinion (of course been taught and have learnt) that one can never be a good shotgun shooter if he uses Cyl barrels or a mod choke. You'll never know where you were pointing even when you chip the birds. It'll be hit and miss all the time..

If you start with full or extra full choke you will always know where you were pointing and then for competitions or game, you can shift to a full choke.

So the Multichokes are useful, if you have only one shotgun..

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:59 pm

Good point Mark - the sulphurous reek of cold blues is quite distictive and lasts for quite some time. It does dissipate eventually though.
Multichoking one barrel used to be quite common in Trap guns. The second barrel was left full choke and a multichoke fitted to the first.
I`m not a great fan of multichokes for the reasons previously given but there are times when they are useful - for instance when a gun has to be multi-purpose. An upland game gun choked 1/4 and 1/2 ( Improved and modified ) doesn`t have sufficiently tight chokes for Goose or Turkey hunting.
I`m no fan of `multi-purpose` guns either as they are always a compromise ( `Jack of all trades, master of none` ) but it is too easy to forget that not everyone - especially the majority of members of this forum - has easy access to a wide selection of ( comparitively ) inexpensive guns........Those same members are also very restricted as to the number of guns they can hold.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:45 pm

Ranjeet we`ll have to disagree as to to use of use of tight chokes - especially with their use in game guns where they are a liability. The only time tight chokes are of use in a game gun is when wildfowling - for Ducks and Geese - and for Turkey shooting. Both types of shooting are at longer than normal range and the tight chokes are necessary to allow for a significant pattern at those ranges. In the US the use of steel shot has necessitated ultra tight chokes because of the sheer ineffectiveness of steel shot. Turkey, it has has to be said, are tough old birds and take some stopping. With Driven Pheasant, Grouse and Partridge shooting one needs significantly looser chokes - 1/8 and 3/8 is usually more than adequate. I use slightly tighter chokes sometimes for Wood Pigeon and High Pheasant. Apart from anything else one wants to kill the bird - not turn it into an inedible sack of mush !
Tight chokes used to be `de rigeur` for Trap shooting but the improvement in cartridges - higher velocity, plastic wads,, harder shot - is responsible for much less tight chokes being used nowadays. Many World class Olympic Trap shooters now use 1/2 and 3/4 choke and I know of at least one who uses 1/2 and 1/2.
The idea that one doesn`t know where one is shooting with more open chokes is rubbish. The most significant improvement in patterning over Cylinder Choke is with the first application of minimal choke - say 1/8 choke. The improvement in patterning after that is progressively less significant.

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:25 pm

Hi Grumpy,

your points are very well taken. I've never taken a shot at a live bird, but I can see what you mean by inedible mush...

I come from a trap shooting point of view, and that too from a early learning stage and am being told that its rather important to 'dust' the target or have a clean miss..while practising...

And also I have seen that most guys have 7 & 10 or 3/4 & full chokes..

But I agree that distance and type of job at hand should dictate the chokes.

And thanks for giving the examples..always good to learn..

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:15 pm

Ranjeet, one should always attempt to `kill` the clay ( or bird ) in the centre of the pattern. A clean miss tells you nothing about the placement of your shot unless you have a coach looking over your shoulder whereas a `chippy` kill gives you some idea of where you are shooting.
Ideally one should `dust` every clay - but a clean miss scores nothing whilst a `chippy` kill scores the same as dusting the clay.
The idea that one should use very tight chokes for Trap shooting practice has merit but is pretty old fashioned. Cartridges are so much better nowadays than they used to be that looser chokes are MUCH more common.
It should also be remembered that competive clay shooting has little in common with game shooting which is one of the reasons that the Sporting Clays disciplines were introduced. I find Trap of little use for practice of game shooting - Sporting Clays ( or even Skeet ) are much more useful.

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:28 pm

Grumpy, Mark,
Thanks a lot dudes.
thats very helpful.
Monish

Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:20 pm

Most informative thread I have com across at IFG.
I have learnt a lot from it. Thanks, guys.
U.S Army Rifle Cal .30 M1917 Remington Bolt Action
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:20 pm

Grumpy, your "sack of inedible mush" is quite accurate.

I consider myself a rifle hunter primarily, learned by going out in the woods and hunting squirrels for the most part. For a while once I borrowed my younger brothers full choked 20 guage to see what hunting squirrels would be like and of course a body shot with a full choke just pulverizes them, it took me a while to learn to aim a bit over there heads and kill them that way.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:53 pm

Grumpy wrote: Ranjeet, one should always attempt to `kill` the clay ( or bird ) in the centre of the pattern. A clean miss tells you nothing about the placement of your shot unless you have a coach looking over your shoulder whereas a `chippy` kill gives you some idea of where you are shooting.
Yeah true, normally I think people just try to make the practise a little more harder by using more constriction. and then open the chokes a little for competitions..so that you get the center of the pattern on the clay and get lucky as well, if you are a bit off:) by chipping
Grumpy wrote: It should also be remembered that competitive clay shooting has little in common with game shooting which is one of the reasons that the Sporting Clays disciplines were introduced. I find Trap of little use for practice of game shooting - Sporting Clays ( or even Skeet ) are much more useful.
Couldn't be more true..in fact I found out that most pigeon shooters shoot with 20 or even 28 gauge shotguns....of course when you shoot 1000 shots a day, in Argentina perhaps, then 28 would be the ideal choice, no inedible mush...and no recoil..plain fun..

And I was of the opinion that Trap was to simulate, upland bird hunting which when flushed by Dog, or while you walk would fly away from you in various angles..of course you start with a pre-mounted position in trap...Is this completely incorrect?

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:38 am

I know what you mean Mark - I`ve always thought that it would make more sense to use a .22lr ( or even .17HMR ) for Turkey. I detest finding even one shot when eating a bird.....let alone a load of them.
Ranjeet,`Trap` shooting developed from Live Pigeon shooting. You`ll often see British SxS guns described as `Pigeon` guns. That should be `Live Pigeon`. The guns are an early form of Trap gun with 30 or 32 inch barrels, tight chokes, greater weight ( in the range of 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 lbs ) and re-enforced actions - usually with a third bite and side bolsters. Many of them had 2 3/4" chambers. The birds were released from a trap - hence the name - which was placed downrange. Obviously the birds tended to fly away from the gun - necessitating the need for a steady gun with tight chokes. The gun was pre-mounted as with current trap shooting disciplines because whilst you wouldn`t know in which direction it was going to fly, you knew where it was going to be released from.
`Live Pigeon` shooting was banned in the UK during the early 1920s and the form of clay shooting which replaced it became known as `Trap`.
Most shooting for Pigeons in the UK is done with a 12-Bore, although the 20-Bore is becoming more and more popular for all types of game shooting in the UK. That`s because the Pigeons we shoot - Wood Pigeons - are large, fast flying birds. In the Argentine the birds are Doves, considerably smaller and the use of 20 or even 28-Bore guns is sensible.
Very large bags of Wood Pigeon are quite common in the UK - in East Anglia 1,000 plus birds have been taken by parties in a day. My personal ( solo ) record here in the West Country is just over 100 birds. You`ld think that with such numbers the Wood Pigeon would be in decline but the opposite is the case. Mild winters and abundant food supplies mean that Wood Pigeon numbers continue to rise. The Wood Pigeon is considered to be vermin and as such there is no season for shooting them - they can be shot all-year round.

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:56 pm

Was browsing through the Remington site and found this relevant part for this topic- A general guide for buying used firearms

http://www.remington.com/library/reming ... ed_gun.asp

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:26 am

Wow! Grumpy,
This is a treasure trove of info.
God Bless you
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:21 am

You`re welcome Asif. We`re all here because of a mutual interest in guns and shooting. The exchange of information is, therefore, a `given. I`ve learned plenty here and passing on what I know is a pleasure.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:46 pm

Grumpy,

Is Brunner part of the CZ group?

I was leafing through an old Frankonia catalogue (2000/2001) when I came across the spitting image of the ZH-302 but under the Brunner banner. It is call ZH Skeet in the catalogue.

Not only is it available as a shotgun but also as a combination gun and double rifle.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:26 am

As far as I know CZ aren`t tied up with anyone. It amazes me that that shotgun was available new in 2001 - It looks so old fashioned. Perhaps Brunner were buying the gun from CZ and marketing it under their own name.
Or is `Brunner` a German form of Brno ? Perhaps that`s how the guns are marketed in Germany ?
I`m getting confused now - is the gun a CZ or a Brno ? I thought it was a Brno ?
Brno don`t have any other gunmaking subsidiaries either.
Contrary to popular opinion CZ and Brno are two entirely separate concerns and have been for several years.
Perhaps Mehul knows something about this ? He has a treasure trove of knowledge on obscure continental gunmakers.......gunmakers generally. Knows a lot more about them than I do.