Can a NRI apply for a Gun License

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Can a NRI apply for a Gun License

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:56 pm

I have a question, I want to apply for a 12 bore license(gun belongs to my uncle) - what reason do I state in my application form?. I am not a big time business man but still can I write self defence? I am not a member of the local shooting club and dont plan to become one because it costs Rs 1lakh plus. I would be greatful for guidance received.
Do you think only life of "big time businessmen" have value to have the right to defend their lives and lives of other people have no value? People acquire arms to defend themselves from any random act of violence. Also no need to be a member of shooting club to acquire an arms license for self defense. Self defense is a part of Right to Life, guaranteed by Constitution of India to all persons(please refer recent judgment of High Court at http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=15) What more better reason reason do you want other than self defense. It is your right, so go ahead and apply.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

For Advertising mail webmaster
drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by drifter » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:16 am

Dear goodboy_mentor,

Man thanks a ton, now I have better understanding on the matter. The reason I asked was since it is difficult getting a weapon license in our district the police and my lawyer said a reason like being a big businessman with lot of cash to carry or a politican is only considered valid by the sanctioning authority. Anyway I have paid the money in the treaury today and submitted the application hope it works out well.

reg drifter

sumitsingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by sumitsingh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:02 am

Hi guys,
My dad who owns two guns in india does not want to go through the hassle of license renewal every 3 years beause of his age. He want to sell them unless I can get a license and take the responsibility. I love both those guns ever since I was a child. Can, I, an NRI, apply for a license even though I stay in the US? Is there an easier way for my dad to tranfer the guns to me? Also, how long does it take to get a fresh license made? Any tips will be appreciated. Please note, I am talking about UP where things take their own course and time :-)

I appreciate any comments and tips.
Sumit Singh

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:14 am

Arms license is issued for self defense, which is a Constitutionally guaranteed fundamental right as per Article 21 to all persons in territory of India. Hence firearms license is based on residency of the individual. It can be issued to Indian citizens residing in India, foreign travelers on visit to India, foreign citizens residing in India. Since your status is NRI which means you are not residing in India, it will become difficult to prove your residency in India in order to get a firearms license. Alternately some other family member who is residing in India can apply for firearm license. Once you start living in India you can apply for firearm license.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

FlyingSoldier
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by FlyingSoldier » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:46 am

nagarifle wrote:hi GBM
does not the new policy state the OCI can not have arms licence for protection? (OCI are in a way foreign nationals, but they can for family heirloom). (if so, that is stupid law) also my reading regarding oci having arms licence is that only for protection they can not be issued a licence, but for family heirloom and sports they can.

what is your reading on that one?

mods please mere this thread with other one of the same nature
What about the NRIs and OCIs, who already own a handgun overseas and would like to import?

Thanks.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Please read "Rules Regarding Transfer of Residence"

Articles not allowed duty free, but at various rates of duty and/or under specific conditions :-

Firearms (may only be brought under TR) - Import of firearms is usually prohibited and import of Cartridges in excess of 50 is also prohibited, both being listed under Annexure-I of the Baggage Rules. However, persons bringing their effects on TR can bring one firearm of permissible bore on payment of a duty @153% ad-valorem, subject to the conditions that:-

(a) the same was in possession and use abroad by the passenger for a minimum period of one year and also subject to the condition that such firearm, after clearance, shall not be sold, loaned, transferred or otherwise parted with, for consideration or otherwise, during the lifetime of such person AND (b) the firearms can be allowed in such cases on payment of applicable duty provided the passenger has a valid arms licence from the local authorities.

Reference: http://mumbaicustoms3.gov.in/htmldocs/tr.htm

skarl69
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by skarl69 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:08 am

Hi
I have NRI Status for the last 20 years and planning to go back to India Permanent and last 20 years I want to apply for arms license in Mumbai I don't know what will be the result of application but my concern is I have not filed my IT returns for so many years so how do ideal with this documentation

Kindly advise

jit007
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by jit007 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:06 am

I am an Indian and a USA green card holder. I own a few guns in the USA. I am new to this forum and I have a few questions.
I am planning to return to India permanently in a few years. How can I bring my gun or guns with me? I own one .45 and two 9MM and one .357 handgun. I do not have an Indian firearms license. It would be great if someone can guide me with the steps so that I can plan accordingly.

The first step is getting an Indian firearms license in this step what bore I can apply for? Any response is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:52 am

One gun is allowed to person coming to India permanently. You should have owned that gun in USA for atleast one year. Your weapon will be kept here by authorities and later released to you when you get license.

Except 9mm,all other bores are allowed in pistols. Except 38/200 and .455 all other bores are allowed in revolvers. Center fire Semi auto rifles are not allowed.

In between .45 and .357, I would advice you .45 as ammo is cheaper.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.