Is Webley revolver safe for imported cartridges

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
ROHITMONA
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Is Webley revolver safe for imported cartridges

Post by ROHITMONA » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Friends please tell me that as proof mark of webley b series revolver is 3 tons equal to 6000psi. Can it handle imported Magtech round with 15000psi of pressure?

For Advertising mail webmaster
SARGE7402
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Is Webley revolver safe for imported cartridges

Post by SARGE7402 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:57 pm

First welcome. The pressure noted on the revolver and those listed by us companies often give folks cause for concern. What ought to be looked at is at the time of manufacture was the revolver safe for use with standard pressure cartridges. Some times the method for proofing and SAMMI testing don't necessarily describe the same testing procedures
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:01 am

ROHITMONA wrote:Friends please tell me that as proof mark of webley b series revolver is 3 tons equal to 6000psi. Can it handle imported Magtech round with 15000psi of pressure?

I will quote Grumpy, our very knowledgeable member, here:

15000 PSI in a revolver proof rated at 3 tons - 6,000 psi - ESPECIALLY a top break revolver is asking for major trouble.
I would add that it is always safe to use ammunition within the pressure limits for which a firearm if proofed. More so when it comes to older firearms.

I am glad that you asked this question. A lot of folks in India do not understand using correct loads and experiment without any precautions or knowledge. A lot of them survive because of pure luck and nothing else. Many end up destroying valuable firearms and losing a finger, an eye or a hand.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:24 am

ROHITMONA wrote:Friends please tell me that as proof mark of webley b series revolver is 3 tons equal to 6000psi. Can it handle imported Magtech round with 15000psi of pressure?
6,000 PSI is really very low for a .32 S&W Long revolver, unless I am mistaken even the .32 S&W cartridge (often erroneously called the .32 "short" in India) is rated for 9,500 PSI.

I'm guessing that the method used for calculating pressure is simply different.

In what year was the revolver manufactured (you should be able to figure that out by the serial no.)?
The British Ton = 2240 lbs, so 3 Tons = 6,720 lbs. As Larry said though the gun was proofed to a higher pressure & certified as proofed for 3 Ton pressure loads. The 3 ton reference was also a crusher pressure measurement & not the later PSI as obtained by use of Pieso-Electic crystals which will show a higher pressure than the crusher readings.
Conversion of radial crusher (CUP) to radial transducer (psi) measurement is well approximated by the following relation: psi = 9e-6 *CUP^2 + 0.7051 * CUP. Otherwise expressed as 9 times 10 to the -6 power times CUP. This conversion works well for most modern values of European and American pressure in firearms.....

Also note:

For the modern Piezo equipment ....1 British long ton = 2850 Piezo PSI.....
Therefore THREE (3) Long Tons would be 8550 PSI as measured by the modern Piezo equipment
The above from: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb ... ber=297079

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Stinger_22
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Stinger_22 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:34 pm

It's true that these old handguns can handle lower pressures than the modern ones (something that's present for 9x19mm Parabellum as well, the range I go to uses regular 9mm for most handguns but has to use weaker handloads for their Luger) bu 6500 psi IS ridiculously small.
I think it would be worth trying to ask on an American forum, they're quite fast to answer and have pretty much any weapon you can think about (as long as it's legal of course). Hell, some of them have miniguns or howitzers...