"SET" new spring

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

"SET" new spring

Post by tirths » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Many people asked me personally and on forum as well about how spring can be set.
This is how I do it. Insert the spring fully inside the tube. Tube ID should be little bigger than the OD of the spring. Insert another rod or tube (which has same OD size of spring) from both side of the tube or one side if other side is blocked like what you see in the picture. Now compress the spring almost fully. Suggested to keep 10% more than it's solid length. Keep the spring under compression under 30 mins. Once decompressed you will see your set spring has been reduced by almost 20% . It it now safe to use it in the gun.

Question, Suggestion welcome.
Last edited by tirths on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: "SET" new spring

Post by veejosh » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks Tirths. I think I will try this and let you know. This has come at the right time as " A Generous Friend" has gifted me with AN OX Spring and I intend using it in my IHP. Any more recomendations before I do so?

Regards,
Vikas

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:31 pm

veejosh wrote:Thanks Tirths. I think I will try this and let you know. This has come at the right time as " A Generous Friend" has gifted me with AN OX Spring and I intend using it in my IHP. Any more recomendations before I do so?

Regards,
Vikas
Hi Vikas, OX spring are unnecessarily hard and therefore it is not good for IHP. The extra tension will cutoff the sear engagement therefor accidental fire could be the result. It is highly recommended to SET it for till you get a reduction of 20%.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:06 am

My recent experience with Kolkata made ARs says that most of these Co.use hard springs to boost the power.
It seems ,they think that spring energy is directly proportional to velocity ,which is completely incorrect.
Every gun has its own optimum capacity and spring power has to match with that.
To 'set' the spring , it is not nessary to undergo above mentioned procedure.
A 1000 shots along with keeping the gun cocked for 4-6 hours is sufficient to 'set' the spring for its life time.
Cutting of spring is needed when gun loses its accuracy due to excessive vibration , hard trigger and tiring cocking effort .
It is adviced to cut only the 'set' spring .
A diana type kolkata gun behaves well with 28 cms free length of spring after 'set' .
I have not seen any spring which loses 20% of earlier length.But 6-8% is a regular matter.Once setting is done , spring's energy remain mostly constant.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

sagar 12345
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sagar 12345 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:17 pm

my huricaine air rifle gives more vibrations & rcoil .i punished the spring by keeping rifle cocked for 24 hours but no improvement seen also there is no reductuion in length of spring .so can i cut few coils from spring to improve performance of rifle .rifle is six month old & i shoot around 2000 pellets till date. experts please give your opinion.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:44 pm

This a old thread of Tirths.RIP.

Dear Sagar,
Not necessarily all springs will lose it initial length by big margin.
To reduce the vibes , you need to put sleeve in the piston.
Please get to Gunsmith section there complete details are given.

Basu

sagar 12345
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sagar 12345 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:22 pm

thank you basu sir is there any procidure to reduce loudness of huricaine air rifle & can i cut few coils from main spring for smoothness of gun please advice me.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:35 am

Dear Sagar,
Velocity & accuracy both are important for any gun.
The moot point is at what velocity it gives comfort & accuracy.
The 15 that i had fired , did not have much cocking effort yet could generate 11.5 fpe out of box in .22.
I suggest you to call the company and speak to technical head.
He would be in best position to advice you.
It is not worthwhile for me to advise you without any supporting data.

Basu

sagar 12345
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sagar 12345 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:10 pm

i call technician of huricaine but he is not able to answer my any question regarding barrel cutting , smoothness or accuracy or velocity.even they are not aware of using moly grease also. so there is no point in talking with them also they dont understnd my question.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:10 pm

sagar 12345 wrote:i call technician of huricaine but he is not able to answer my any question regarding barrel cutting , smoothness or accuracy or velocity.even they are not aware of using moly grease also. so there is no point in talking with them also they dont understnd my question.
Hurricane usually diesels for first few hundred shots.. That can cause the perceived loudness due to detonation of any remaining oil etc. I would suggest disassembling the action, degreasing with petrol/alcohol etc and relubing with moly.

Also, 177 guns will tend to be louder than 22 counterparts in same action due to the higher velocities reached with lighter pellets. The report of the gun will increase with the velocity of the projectile.