Prices of Imported Rifles

Posts related to rifles.
miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Prices of Imported Rifles

Post by miroflex » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Vikram wrote:My two paise worth.

Except for the .404 J, rest of all are probably worth very well under Rs.50K. Wall hangers and nothing else as Two Rivers already mentioned.

Have the .404 checked by a competent person and if he gives the green signal, haggle with the price. Another choice is to take very clear photos of the rifle, action, barrel etc and post them here so that some of our experienced members can give their assessment.

You might have seen the IOF .30-06 thread. With some little investment, it seems to do rather well.

Best-
Vikram
Hi Vikram,

Thanks for your advice and suggestions. I am also in touch with a fellow member who has seen several .404s and has very kindly agreed to pass on details of the vendors.

I had thought of making an offer of Rs. 80,000 for the .404. I am unlikely to go on safari in Africa but would like to own a suitable weapon should such a contingency arise.

I am in touch with dealers who have .458 Winchesters and .375 Magnums in Winchester Model 70 versions for sale but they are close to the Rs. 5,00,000 mark. Way beyond my budget.

Regards.
Last edited by miroflex on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

For Advertising mail webmaster
miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:11 pm

absinroy wrote:Hi !

No doubt imported rifles have better balance and workmanship. But you would be ill-advised to buy one, if the ammunition is not being manufactured currently...or is difficult to obtain. Never trust the dealers ammo stock (of outdated bores) ...as you can pull a trigger at a vital moment and find no answering explosion of the cartridge. Even with a wild boar, such a mishap can result in a fatal accident.
These handicaps would far outweigh the generic advantages of an imported firearm. So my sincere advice would be fo you to spread your search wider and go for an imported .30/06 rifle. it will be your best solution.
Hi Absinroy,

In continuation of my earlier post, some more reactions to your above post. I agree that popular bores for which fresh ammunition is available will come high in the list of preferred bores. No centre fire rifle cartridge is more popular in India than the .30-06 Springfield.

Nevertheless, I am a person who likes to swim against the tide. I did not care for Chevrolet Impalas when they were all the rage in India and everyone from Jawaharlal Nehru to popular film stars were driving or being driven in one. Similarly I do not share the craze for revolvers by Webley and Scott Ltd. Hence my aversion to the .30-06.

I also do not like the Ordnance Factory .315 bore rifle. Many medium bores like the 9 mm Mauser and Mannlicher have joined the list of obsolete cartridges. Other medium bore cartridges like the .300 Holland and Holland Magnum are very difficult to obtain. Among the lighter bores the 7x57 Mauser is still obtainable but at premium prices. Which leads one back to the .30-06!

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

anjani0786
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by anjani0786 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:45 am

In year 2018 there are many more options available in 30.06 calibre like Blaser r8,Browning Maral,merkel helix rx,steyr manlicher, titan,Tikka T3,Sako etc... but price tag will go high ranging from 10 lakhs to 18 lakhs.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm

I hope the Govt opens up to permit import of imported weapons as also permitting shikar in selected areas/conditions,both conditions which complement each other..no pt in importing a fancy hunting rifle when you cant hunt

rajputamarsingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rajputamarsingh » Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Want to know that can we import Ruggers American rimfire .22 rifle to India.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri May 25, 2018 6:04 pm

rajputamarsingh wrote:Want to know that can we import Ruggers American rimfire .22 rifle to India.
Import of fire arms has been restricted since 1985 or so. You can import one only during a residence transfer or if you are a renowned shot.

So getting in a Ruger 22 will be tough.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.