Buying Knives and other sharp n shiny objects in Rajasthan.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
gone_fishing
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Buying Knives and other sharp n shiny objects in Rajasth

Post by gone_fishing » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Has anyone got a knife manufactured by 'Fine Damascus Knives'?

I checked out their website, and the knives look great! I'm thinking of getting myself a folder.
Anyone know where I can find shops selling their knives? Or can it be ordered online? I didn't see anything on the website regarding this

For Advertising mail webmaster
anonymusneo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Buying Knives and other sharp n shiny objects in Rajasth

Post by anonymusneo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:42 pm

Katana wrote:Some time in the latter half 2011 I had ordered a blade to be made in Udaipur, an indication of which I had talked about to some fellow members (the blade mad guys!). I finally got it around Navratri of the past year. Lethargy and work got the better of me so I couldn't share it with everyone. Here's the story.

Talking to a known sakligar, I put up a suggestion that a kilij-talwar hybrid design be worked upon. For the uninitiated, the kilij is a sword with an almost extreme curvature with a thicker and broader blade than a shamsher, and a distal with edges on both sides, while a talwar has a mild curvature and is singularly edged. The reason I wished this is mainly due to the fact that I have to use a sword in certain ceremonies about 5-6 times a year and I now want to 'retire' some of the old family swords. This one I could be able to carry at will comfortably. So we talked it out with some workmen who could forge the blade (I wanted a 5 fold blade) and do some fullering on it to reduce weight. One person accepted the order, although I have never dealt with him earlier, but he seems to have done a decent job! Apart from the fact that he took a year to complete the blade I can't really fault him. I checked on him numerous times while he was working on it, even supplying him with the dark brew( the inebriating variety), but all he told me was, be patient! The sword is in 5 fold mechanical sakela and smooth to the touch. Took him a year to do it but here's the final result.
IMG_1755.JPG
IMG_1758.JPG
IMG_1759.JPG
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1757.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG
:shock: :shock: :shock: :clap: :clap: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

i love the work on that blade mmmm

SayajiSevak
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Buying Knives and other sharp n shiny objects in Rajasthan.

Post by SayajiSevak » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:26 am

So much knowledge shared here! I am enlightened to an amazing degree. I have not been able to gather as much knowledge from my internet research as i have now. I am a Gujarati but my ancestors were from Mewar. I have been on a quest to find real battle swords from the bygone era and this post has helped me tremendously. Thank you!

harry_x1
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by harry_x1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Katana,
the picture of the sword where you show those water patterns, is that genuine wutuz or fake. Looks fake to me.

thanks
Harjeet

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Dear harry_x1,

What Katanaji, is displaying is Patternn Welded Steel, its modern Damascus and NOT Wootz.

Its not fake, its just a different metal.

Most modern blades are Damascus (Pattern Welded) and not Traditional Wootz. Very few smiths have been able to re-create Wootz.

Unfortunately none of these smiths are in India.

Regards,
-P
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

er_krunal.patel
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by er_krunal.patel » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:33 pm

@Moinbhai,
First thank you all from the discussion for your valuable Info. I am traveling to Mt. Abu and then Sirohi shortly, as both are near. I want to buy a real authentic sword. I am martial arts & fitness enthusiast, so I also want to learn Swordsmanship with a real sword. So please tell me where can I get a fine quality, real & functional sword from Sirohi.

Regards,
Krunal P.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:16 pm

Mt. Abu...Hmm ..there is some shops in the main market trading with show piece Knives and sword as well few Air Guns. Not a good quality.. May be a show piece. In Sirohi, if you are going by road from mt. Abu. the road is bifurcated near ramdev dhaba. if you took the bypass (not the main road going inside the city) towards pali and jodhpur just a few KM from Ramdev dhaba there was at least 5/6 Huts of Lohar used to sale Traditional Rajasthani swords, Katar and other weapons. hammer forged and a decent finish. the quality of the metal is at least good. Last saw them this year apr. one more place is near govt hospital sirohi. One person was selling swords in a road side hut on that road. not a known dealer in proper sirohi though there is some art and craft dealer present in the market.
Regards

Shivaji

er_krunal.patel
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by er_krunal.patel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:04 am

@Shivaji.Dasguptaji,
Thank you, will check it out and revert later.

Regards,
Krunal P.

er_krunal.patel
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by er_krunal.patel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Hello Frnz,
Finally got my 2 original Sirohi swords and else as per picture for Rs. 10000/-. They are blunt as now, so I can practice and perform with them safely. I apologize for putting them down on floor, as it was necessary to have a white background for the picture.
As a warrior, they are my relics. _/|\_

Thank you all,
Krunal P.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Patel
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Patel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:52 am

Visited shirohi in year 2000 for a true sirohi sword saw some swords, but the maker said the steel they use is from Jeep and truck suspensions and at that time he was asking 8000 rupees. A friend has true old sirohi swords that were made for his father long time ago.

inquisite
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by inquisite » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:28 am

Katana ji,
I wish to get a patta made/commissioned you seem to have the best Sikligar that I've come across, Could you help me out, please.

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Inquisite,

Katanaji is not a Sikligar.

Katanaji however does know a lot of Sikligar's, who have worked for his family for generations, he will be able to help you.

Regards,
-P

inquisite
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by inquisite » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:27 am

pistolero wrote:Inquisite,

Katanaji is not a Sikligar.

Katanaji however does know a lot of Sikligar's, who have worked for his family for generations, he will be able to help you.

Regards,
-P
Sir,
I'm appreciating the work that Katanaji had commissioned and the information that he and all the member have shared on this forum, I'm a novice in this aspect regarding Blades and this post regarding buying swords has been immensely informative, I was hoping to get some help or driections Honestly.
P.S I never called or referred to Katanaji as a Sikligar.

Cheers.

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:50 pm

Inquisite,

Feel free to send me a PM.

Hopefully I will be able to help.

Regards,
-P