What should one look for when buying a used shotgun.....

Posts related to shotguns.
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:13 am

Another link to Field and Stream buying used guns

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/shoo ... 65,00.html

Cheers

For Advertising mail webmaster
jaz
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

HOW TO APPRAISE TRUE CONDITION OF SHOTGUN

Post by jaz » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:40 pm

AS POSTED EARLIER ABOUT 32 " IOF SXS DBBL ,EJECTORS.
SENIORS SHOULD TELL ME WHAT THINGS TO BE TAKEN CARE OF WHILE CHECKING OLD IOF SHOTGUN .

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: HOW TO APPRAISE TRUE CONDITION OF SHOTGUN

Post by mundaire » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:28 pm

a) Do NOT post in all capitals - it is considered as "shouting" on the Internet and looked upon as rude behaviour

b) Before you start a new thread, it is expected that you first search the forums to see if similar relevant information has been posted elsewhere. You can do this easily enough by using the search box found on the top right hand side on every page on this website.

Am merging this thread with an earlier one covering the same topic, please go through the previous posts on this thread, they should prove to be most helpful...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

trw999
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: What should one look for when buying a used shotgun.....

Post by trw999 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Grumpy, Ranjeet

I have been following your discussion on chokes with interest. Virtually all of my game shooting is driven pheasant or partridge, where of course the birds are being driven towards the guns. I thus have very open chokes, True and Improved cylinder, and I use UK size 7 shot with a 28 gram load (1930 Henry Clarke 12 BLE or 1898 Frederic Beesley 12 SLE). The guns are regulated to shoot that load too, an often overlooked process.

As you say Grumpy, most of us have to compromise with our choice of gun. On the rare occasions I find myself at a high bird shoot, or wild-fowling, my compromise is to use heavier loads of 32 grams with larger shot of UK size 5. The one thing I will not compromise is using Lylavale Express Supreme Game cartridges. I find them to be super quick, consistent and smooth. Additionally, and again an often overlooked factor, I have confidence in these cartridges and I believe that helps with my accuracy too.

With this set up I find that I can pull down the birds cleanly and am equally able to do so on birds crossing, going away as well as coming towards me. I suspect that I am not alone in finding the hardest shot being the high pigeon flying down the line, saluted by all guns and seldom hit!

Tim

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:58 pm

There is some discussion on the selection of chokes. I came across a nice article which explains all about it in detail and with data

http://www.wildfowlmag.com/tips_strateg ... un_062304/

quickdraw-Mcgraw
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by quickdraw-Mcgraw » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: What should one look for when buying a used shotgun..... ?

Ans- Ensure that no Indian gunsmith/dealer has touched it :)

especially gunsmiths from mumbai.

hornet
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet » Fri May 27, 2011 9:40 am

sir's my question is can we have ejectors ina sxs.which does not come with the gun .iam reffering to my ejectorless beauty of my father rarely used.it is a walter locke.

Prakshal
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Prakshal » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:45 am

Wanted to buy a trap gun... Need some advice on which should i get....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:54 am

The German name for Brno is Bruenn (don't have an "Umlaut" on my keyboard), so a gun from Brno would be a "Bruenner" gun. Not very specific, but all the Czech sporting guns exported originally came from the same factory in Brno, Bruenn.

wildhoghunter
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by wildhoghunter » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:27 am

I think why should I buy a used gun is another important question .for farmland use and home defence ,there is no need to buy a used imported shotgun. every licence holder want to buy a used imported shotgun instead of a new Indian made one.no one is thinking about their necessity. Most of the old imported guns are worn out and our gun smiths (not all) are just capable of cosmetic repair or crude repair work.they are intelligent at hiding the problems than correocting it. We are ready to pay the total amount of 6 or 10 Indian made guns for one used ,worn out shotgun just for its name.we are buying a permanent headache and danger.no one want to sell a perfect old imported brand guns. There are good old guns in the market,but not all old imported guns are good for that much money.i doubt any old imported gun remained in its originality.if the need is just for home defence and farmland use we do not necessarily require a imported brand name that cost the value of 2 or 3 acres of land.there are pretty good Indian made shotguns in the market.for example a visco 28 or 30 inch barrel gun is really beautiful and sturdy as a tank. I have several hundred shotguns in my neighbourineighbouring, and shot most of them too; old imported and New Indian made.my friend own a visco 12 gauge double 28,it is a real beauty except rib soldering visibility. Finishing comparable to foreign made old guns.i feel fit with that gun in hand aginest old imported ones.i have seen old imported guns dis assembled having major parts made in blacksmith sheds of india.so be careful about fakes and cosmètic makeup. And if you are a farmer like me or your gun is for average civilian use,just go for Indian made new one.

3:10
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by 3:10 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 am

Wow.. Grumpy, Mack and Mark ,thank you for the info folks. Helps me a lot.. hopefully I will find a good dbbl before this month is done... Abhijeet thanks for the link.

curriedpandhi
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by curriedpandhi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:08 am

3:10, have you checked with gun sellers locally ?

Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by 3:10 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Yes curriedpandhi, they don't have stock of the O/u non engraved versions, or decent Indian guns and the prices of European guns are a kidney and a half... Simpsons Bajpe was more reasonable, but prakash the owner was out of town... trying a find out if someone in the district wants to free one of his slots ..

curriedpandhi
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by curriedpandhi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Understandable, O/U shotguns aren't popular here. I assume you have tried Bhandary Guns (run by Prashanth) at Madikeri already.
Simson Gun House - Prakash was out of town and the girls were seeing stars? He badly needs to add a couple of staff who know guns.

Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by 3:10 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Lol.. we to be fair the girls did know enough to answer a few questions, but it's the pricing they were not sure of.. yep I did try Madikeri and somwarpet...