Market Demand for knives?

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Market Demand for knives?

Post by rommel43 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi there, fellow weapon enthusiasts!

If you remember, I had once posted a question regarding martial arts equipment, and some of you had been of great help to me. I am eternally thankful for that.
I have now decided to graduate to bladesmithingn(Knife making) as a primary business. I am also going to diversify into mountaineering gear and comic weapon replicas. I have already found a few interested parties in Singapore, who are both collectors and suppliers, and am in the process of negotiating with them and providing them with samples. And also have a workshop which I expect to be fully functional by March 2018, after which I plan to go into production. Am still working on my designs, parallel to pursuing a degree in Product Design.

I now would like to hear your insights on the following question - "Do you think an India-based version of Cold Steel will survive in the Indian market? Are there enough people buying knives in this country?"

For Advertising mail webmaster
pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Market Demand for knives?

Post by pistolero » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Dear Rommel 43,

I would like to commend you on your conviction to go ahead with Blade Smithing. I sincerely wish you the best of success.

Do let me know when you have your workshop operational, I have several crazy designs, which I want made and would be happy to work with you.

On your Question of Indian Version of Cold Steel, well, there are lot of Knives being sold and imported into India. If you are looking at only India as a market, you would need to look at the legal requirements and provide products around that, especially aimed at women as that would be a significant market. To my knowledge the Chinese knives are filling this EDC domain.

It will take time, effort, money & marketing to emulate the success of cold steel.

When you look at exports, you have Windlass Steel Crafts, Universal Swords etc, they have over the years established a market outside India. If you manufacture in India, you will export Dull Blades as replicas and depend on your dealer to sharpen them, owing to the law of the land.

When you look at small companies in blade making, you only need to look at Nepal and see what has been achived. Several small players are very successful in Nepal and in exports.

All the best, and if you need any inputs at anytime, feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

P
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:21 pm

A really amazing and innovative profession. After a long time I saw some one to go commercial ( I am not talking about the hobby freaks like us who just made one or two weapons on their own designs) with this sort of out of box ideas. please accept my wishes and I pray that your initiative will create a mark in terms of commercial aspects.
I have different sort of blade designs which i want to make and even discussed with few black smiths but due to lack of proper set up they are reluctant to take the job.
come with your project and I am sure from this forum only you will get a lot of custom blades requirements.

All the best and go ahead.

Regards
Regards

Shivaji

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:57 pm

A great idea, rommel43, and wish you all the best with your infrastructure, marketing, and most importantly, getting over the legal hassles in Mera Bharat Mahaan!

Will be glad to help if you wish to indulge in picking people's minds!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

goondasmani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by goondasmani » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:32 am

Make in India effect ? It's nice to see lot of people in to knife. First thing Rommel is legalities and licensing then comes marketing which we will do 8) . You should combine many things as outdoortravelgear from Bangalore does then combine your products in by that it will reach out. Secondly should make simple value for money knives for edc and kitchen by that you will get the Chinese knife makers market in India. All the best bro. Pm me if vacancy is in your company :roll: :D .

russianshooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by russianshooter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:45 am

I may be Investor!)

Added in 1 minute 8 seconds:
cold steel in India for indians cool)

rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rommel43 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

russianshooter wrote:I may be Investor!)

Hello, russianshooter
As of now, I am still working on my degree but will begin bladesmithing as soon as I get back to India, possibly have my setup running before march.
Please share with me, your contact details .if you would like to invest in my enterprise, we can stay in touch through mail and take it ahead from there.

Regards
Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Dear Rommel,

Congratulations on the decision you have taken to manufacturing knives for the Indian market. An indigenous brand should mean top quality and nothing less than the best.

Here's my free advice, for your consideration:

Think about producing 'cutlery' and not just knives. Most knife making houses also do this; it will give you a larger market base to capitalize on and will naturally be a more commercially viable venture. Indian cuisine does demand certain cutting and cooking instruments that are not necessarily manufactured by foreign brands. Also anything exclusive will give you an edge to market and build goodwill / reputation. Other metal cutlery also. Star Hotels and Celebrity Chefs would definitely consider using your products, or who knows - maybe someone would also be willing to endorse them for you. Heck you could piggy back on a celebrity chef and name a let him design a knife for you and then name it after him. the leverage would be invaluable. But, you need to do a thorough research beforehand and know your metals and smithing subjects well.

The 'workshop' must turn into a 'factory'.

Knives like Cold Steel could follow from the same production house and job-works for Military, Police (for different applications), farmers, electricians, etc can be developed keeping the Indian nuances in mind. Like a Swiss Army concept. Lastly, the same products should have an international appeal in order to cater to a growing international market. Mind you, no place for error, quality should be top grade.

While you are where ever you are pursuing your degree course, it would be an invaluable asset to your startup if you could try and get a job in any international company which is related to this business like Victorinox, CS, even Fontenille-Pataud and the likes to gain experience in the business; Learning the ropes on somebody else's expense is always better than burning your fingers in your own, where everything could be at stake and mistakes cannot be afforded.

Take your time. Stay focused. Happy trails!
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

russianshooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by russianshooter » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:53 pm

supershaji wrote:Dear Rommel,

Congratulations on the decision you have taken to manufacturing knives for the Indian market. An indigenous brand should mean top quality and nothing less than the best.

Here's my free advice, for your consideration:

Think about producing 'cutlery' and not just knives. Most knife making houses also do this; it will give you a larger market base to capitalize on and will naturally be a more commercially viable venture. Indian cuisine does demand certain cutting and cooking instruments that are not necessarily manufactured by foreign brands. Also anything exclusive will give you an edge to market and build goodwill / reputation. Other metal cutlery also. Star Hotels and Celebrity Chefs would definitely consider using your products, or who knows - maybe someone would also be willing to endorse them for you. Heck you could piggy back on a celebrity chef and name a let him design a knife for you and then name it after him. the leverage would be invaluable. But, you need to do a thorough research beforehand and know your metals and smithing subjects well.

The 'workshop' must turn into a 'factory'.

Knives like Cold Steel could follow from the same production house and job-works for Military, Police (for different applications), farmers, electricians, etc can be developed keeping the Indian nuances in mind. Like a Swiss Army concept. Lastly, the same products should have an international appeal in order to cater to a growing international market. Mind you, no place for error, quality should be top grade.

While you are where ever you are pursuing your degree course, it would be an invaluable asset to your startup if you could try and get a job in any international company which is related to this business like Victorinox, CS, even Fontenille-Pataud and the likes to gain experience in the business; Learning the ropes on somebody else's expense is always better than burning your fingers in your own, where everything could be at stake and mistakes cannot be afforded.

Take your time. Stay focused. Happy trails!
Sir "Cold steel" make knife for concept "stick for kill"
Any knife "Cold steel" can be stuck, and it will go on the handle
You can also cut sausage on a picnic with this knife

Added in 48 minutes 36 seconds:
rommel43 wrote:

Hello, russianshooter
As of now, I am still working on my degree but will begin bladesmithing as soon as I get back to India, possibly have my setup running before march.
Please share with me, your contact details .if you would like to invest in my enterprise, we can stay in touch through mail and take it ahead from there.

Regards
Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel
sir please send me pm with your e-mail

chetan4shooting
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chetan4shooting » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:24 am

Could I get a job as a product designer in your would be company??!! It's my only passion to design blade weapons ...!

rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rommel43 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:21 am

chetan4shooting wrote:Could I get a job as a product designer in your would be company??!! It's my only passion to design blade weapons ...!
Let me set up the company first, Chetan
That is, obviously, my ultimate goal, but I first need to earn money which I can then invest in the business. Once it has been set up, I will surely contact you. If you are still interested, you can work with me. I am catering to a large, yet niche market here. More, the merrier!

rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rommel43 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:24 am

Hello, Russian shooter

I cannot send messages on this forum, apparently. I haven't participated enough. Please send me a message and I will reply to you, or alternately I will post my email here.

rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rommel43 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Hello
Since this doesn't seem to be working out,

My Email Address

Please do not share your personal details or contacts on the public forum for your own safety.-Moderator

rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rommel43 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:10 am

Let me try posting my Behance link here. If allowed, you can message me through that
Search for FeldmarschallRommel on Behance to access my Portfolio

www.behance.net/FeldmarschallRommel

dhanoni l
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dhanoni l » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:50 am

rommel43 wrote:Hi there, fellow weapon enthusiasts!

If you remember, I had once posted a question regarding martial arts equipment, and some of you had been of great help to me. I am eternally thankful for that.
I have now decided to graduate to bladesmithingn(Knife making) as a primary business. I am also going to diversify into mountaineering gear and comic weapon replicas. I have already found a few interested parties in Singapore, who are both collectors and suppliers, and am in the process of negotiating with them and providing them with samples. And also have a workshop which I expect to be fully functional by March 2018, after which I plan to go into production. Am still working on my designs, parallel to pursuing a degree in Product Design.

I now would like to hear your insights on the following question - "Do you think an India-based version of Cold Steel will survive in the Indian market? Are there enough people buying knives in this country?"
...hello sir!!!
I would like to know if manufacturing/blacksmithing knives and swords requires a special kind of licence or permission from the government.......btw ....i am also an up and coming bladesmith and (possibly) ur future competitor......best of luck