The SDB ARTEMIS air rifle

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: The SDB ARTEMIS air rifle

Post by Vikram » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:15 pm

lover of guns wrote:Thanks vikram.
Do you think there are good scopes available in indian websites. If so could you plese suggest one for sdb artemis and precihole nx100. And could you please also mention the website. .
I am sorry. I have little idea about it.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
livelifekingsize
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by livelifekingsize » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Hello to everyone.....I am new to this forum and need advice regarding choosing my next air rifle as i have given up hope of importing a replica pistol as i am a govt. employee and dont want to get into trouble plus dont want to spend so much on my hobby.....after going through the net i have zeroed in on two air rifles 1. SDB Artemis 2. Hurricane 16 (AARMR) i am presently posted in salt lake, kolkata. Pls suggest among the two....my first priority is power and second priority is looks (pls keep in mind the after sales too as i am new to shooting and may not be able to change spring of the gun)

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:18 am

Artemis.....Or Precihole PCP....

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

targetpoint
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Tue May 30, 2017 12:25 am

Sorry sam47 for using your thread to express my views regarding Artemis.Though my views are quite similar to your findings.After lot of discussion with our respected Basu sir for nearly two months finally I bought Artemis,a real beauty,today.I used only 20 to 25 pellets roughly and really there are moments when 3 or 4 pellets passed through same hole.Now for construction means metal to wood fitting is not so excellent,metal parts are scratching the stock's hinge covering area while cocking.Dear Basu sir said it is quite common with all the models,so it is not a big problem.Front sight post is too fat,those who are habituated with thin front post may feel it uncomfortable. Anyway am going to change it with daws front sight if can be fited.Power is really awsome,though I have no chrony,but I can guess it as the pellet is passing through both sides of room freshener empty bottle made of tin.

Added in 15 minutes 15 seconds:
I must admit that my purchase is influenced by reading post of Sam47 sir,looking you tube video of veer Singh and his post in another forum,and lot of discussion with our respected Basu sir.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue May 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Very good decision....
You hunger for power will be met..... :mrgreen: you have chosen most powerful springer.
Wish to see some good fotos.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

targetpoint
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Tue May 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Sure Basu sir I will post some photos.

Added in 45 minutes 32 seconds:
Dear Sam 47,as you had already disassembled your Artemis to change the mainspring so you can say whether moly grease is used in factory to lubricate it or not?

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:45 pm

targetpoint wrote: Dear Sam 47,as you had already disassembled your Artemis to change the mainspring so you can say whether moly grease is used in factory to lubricate it or not?
Sir, the grease used might contain 2-5% moly at best compared to the 60% moly recommend for use in air rifles. 60% Moly grease is not used in lubrication of any mass produced airguns, else companies selling tuning products and lubes will be out of business.
Regarding the scratching you said, is it metal on metal or metal on wood? I have had metal on metal scratching, and apart from a screeching sound and some more resistance while closing the barrel it didn't hamper performance much. But the sound really was bugging me, so I marked down the contact points, filed them and applied PH moly, and it is perfectly silent and smooth now.
The fat rear sight had also bothered me when i moved from PH Scorpius to this rifle, but now I can use it with the same precision as the other one. But if the sights really bother you, there are four notches made in the rear sight. You might rotate the rear sight notch to the widest-U and see if it helps with sight picture before changing the sights.
The problem with changing front sight post is that it can be a real challenge to get the poa vs poi together, especially the elevation.
"Aim small, miss small."

targetpoint
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Wed May 31, 2017 12:13 am

Dear Sam47,it is having metal to wood friction,scratching the stock arms covering the hinge area.I will have to file it off.
So they are using 2-5% moly to lubricate the air rifles as they are manufacturing in huge mass really I stand educated regarding it.thanks.
which pellets are giving nice accuracy?

Added in 4 minutes 18 seconds:
And yes I will try the U notch.

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Wed May 31, 2017 11:20 am

Use piston sleeve for smooth operation.
With regards,
vsraja

targetpoint
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Wed May 31, 2017 11:55 pm

Dear VSRaja, till now I had merely shot 20- 25 pellets so I will disassemble it after more 500-600 pellets.If piston sleeve is needed then I will search for suitable mainspring having outer dia more than the stock spring and fabricate a tight fitting rear spring guide.Hope it will solve the problem.

targetpoint
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:09 pm

Dear Vidya007, hope you have shot several thousand pellets through your Artemis till now,I remember you was getting not so good groupings intially.I want to know how your Artemis is performing in terms of accuracy after break-in period?

targetpoint
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:43 pm

Dear Sam47,I too is facing the hard trigger problem so want to know whether your trigger wt reduced after thousands of shot?I know I am asking the next question too early but I am eager to know whether precihole piston seal fits in Artemis? Apart from master shot flat head which pellet is giving nice accuracy in your gun?After how many shots your Artemis break in?
Sorry for asking so many questions to you as you have used it and know it from top to bottom so you can help me out.
Thanks.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:26 pm

targetpoint wrote: too is facing the hard trigger problem so want to know whether your trigger wt reduced after thousands of shot?
Sir, The trigger weight can be reduced by fitting in a screw-driver through the hole in the end cap and turning the screw inwards. It can be brought down to as light as you want, and I request you to turn the screw only half of complete turn at a time and fire off a shot to see if the weight is right for you.
I know I am asking the next question too early but I am eager to know whether precihole piston seal fits in Artemis?
If only you had asked the question a little earlier!! I had disassembled the rifle today to change the spring.I think it should fit, but will let you know after I actually swap the seals. The piston seal of the Artemis is quite durable nonetheless. Mine showed little deficiencies in performance only after 10,000 shots and quite a few dieseling shots that broke the sound barrier with 7.7 grain pellets.
Apart from master shot flat head which pellet is giving nice accuracy in your gun?
United shot flathead gives comparable performanceof MSFH upto 25 meters., and that is my mainstay plinking pellet. The 9.9 grain united shot pointed head and 8.7 grain precihole domes gives satisfactory performance upto 50 meters( 1" ctc at 30 meters and 2"-2.5" at 50 on most days, standing,offhand open sights). You may try united shot round head also, but it doesn't work well in my gun.
After how many shots your Artemis break in?
I had emptied a tin of 500 MSFH pellets within a week or two of buying the gun, and the gun broke-in completely during that period.I managed to get consistent accuracy within 50 shots, but the complete power-plant started working smoothly only after 500 shots.From then to now , through the course of some 15-16k shots, it is still in good condition, requiring only spring and washer transplantations.
"Aim small, miss small."

targetpoint
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:55 pm

Dear Sam47,
Thanks for replying and addressing my queries.Till now I have shot 100-125 pellets through it and hope within few days I will complete 500 pellets.By the way I have tried the mastershot round head pellets it is totally useless.Will try united shot and precipell after break in.
Dear have you tried Excite pellets?
I must admit that you are gifted with nice eye sight and good physical strength as it is nearly impossible for me to aim at 6mm candle from 15 meters with open sights that too with standing off hand position.
Please let me know about the seal part after swapping.
Thanks.

Added in 9 minutes 13 seconds:
Dear Sam47,
As you have changed the mainspring of Artemis many times so please suggest which spring is most suitable for it.
Thanks.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:53 pm

targetpoint wrote: Please let me know about the seal part after swapping.
Opened up both my guns and found that the piston seal of PH is much wider than that of Artemis. The PH piston seal was almost new as not many shots had been fired through it after replacing it. The PH piston seal can be made to fit on the Artemis piston, after keeping it in hot water for 3 mins, but a lot of the seal sticks out(around 1 mm) from around the edges of the piston seal. Owing to this fact, the piston fitted with PH seal won't fit inside the compression chamber of the Artemis. A lot of filing may get it inside the chamber, but I don't think it is worth the effort, especially as there are chances of damaging the seal.
IMG_20170603_223527.jpg
IMG_20170603_223658.jpg
IMG_20170603_223911[1].jpg
IMG_20170603_220237[1].jpg
I have never used Excite pellets, but I have used master shot round head pellets and they are truly trash.
As you have changed the mainspring of Artemis many times so please suggest which spring is most suitable for it.
The factory spring, with the amount of shooting that I do, sags and looses power too soon. However finding a mainspring of suitable quality and measurements is a problem.I use Cherokee 35, & quoting Basuda , "they have no standard". The last 2 springs I used had 19.5 mm diameter at one end and generally wider at the other end.. The one I was trying to install yesterday had 20.2 mm diameter. However the other end of the spring measured 19.7mm. I had to cut out the thicker end, and then on trying to cock the gun I found out there were a few coils in the spring which were too wide to fit inside the piston.(4 of them).Had to file them too before it fit the gun.
However, the Cherokee 35 of 260-270 mm free length and proper diameter lasts around 5k-6k shots,( approx three months) before it breaks into pieces.It maintains generally good combo of power and accuracy after a 100-200 shot break-in during this period.I have no other option so use this. If you find any better spring that works well please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Aim small, miss small."