Weapons classification

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
martian_sniper
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Weapons classification

Post by martian_sniper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:41 am

Hi guys , i just want to have information i am going to attach some detail here please me know that it is correct , wrong or missing something it is about the weapon classification in India whether they are non prohibited bore (NPB) or prohibited bore (PB)
Please guys let me know it will help a lot

Thanks in advance
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Weapons classification

Post by mundaire » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:01 pm

This topic has been covered in great detail earlier as well, please see http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2780 .

As is clearly mentioned on the list posted by you, it is merely an "illustrative" list. The classification as PB or more accurately "restricted" calibre is based on a negative list, as mentioned in Schedule I of the Arms Rules. Only ownership of those calibres EXPLICITLY mentioned on that list (in Schedule I) are restricted and the competent authority to issue an Arms License for those calibre firearms is the Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India. ALL OTHER CALIBRES apart from those EXPLICITLY mentioned as restricted are to be considered as NPB or more accurately "permissible" calibres and licenses for those are issued by the local licensing authority.

There have been some changes in the new Arms Rules 2016, for e.g. now .45 ACP has been removed from the restricted list, 5.56 NATO has been added to that list etc.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

sathvik
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathvik » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:10 pm

What's the difference between .45 and 450 bore revolver ?
Regards sathvik

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Added in 3 minutes 3 seconds:
Re: RE: Re: Weapons classification
sathvik wrote:What's the difference between .45 and 450 bore revolver ?
Regards sathvik

It's 455

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 pm

They are entirely different cartridges. The .45 ACP (referenced above) is a rimless cartridge while the .455 Webley is a rimmed revolver cartridge which evolved out of the older (black powder only) .476 cartridge.

Of course simply saying .45 and .455 tells only part of the story, a .45 could be a .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt etc. all of them different from each other.

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

sathvik
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: RE: Re: Weapons classification

Post by sathvik » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:55 pm

mundaire wrote:They are entirely different cartridges. The .45 ACP (referenced above) is a rimless cartridge while the .455 Webley is a rimmed revolver cartridge which evolved out of the older (black powder only) .476 cartridge.

Of course simply saying .45 and .455 tells only part of the story, a .45 could be a .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt etc. all of them different from each other.
Thank you sir for clearing my doubt

Cosmicsid
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Cosmicsid » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:40 am

But the authorities (specifically haryana) are still clueless about .45 ACP?? Is there any notification or order made to clarify this issue? They simply are refusing as of now by stating it still is prohibited.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Go to viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24511 and download the new Arms Rules 2016, go to Schedule I of the Arms Rules 2016 and read the relevant entry regarding restricted calibres. When it is there in the Rules then where is the need for a separate notification/ order?

I personally know of AT LEAST one case in Hisar, Haryana, where the person had a .45 ACP entered on his NPB license with no problems (after the Arms Rules 2016 were notified).

www.gunowners.in

Cosmicsid
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Cosmicsid » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:22 pm

You are spot on sir. But unfortunately authorities are impervious to new rules except increasing fees. I myself is practicing law in d&scourts hisar. I myself showed and explained them every information regarding the matter but they just wont allow it. Rather they asked for other notifications etc. There only answer is it is still a PBore.
That is why sir i asked for any info about the other notifications/order/guidelines. They did make a case out of one application and sent it to the mha via state home dept.for (maargdarshan) and after that it is nothing but silence as no office including mha has responded.
In my knowledge sir it is untrue that some person has got .45 entered as NPB and that too without problems cause i myself is pursuing authorities for past 6 months.
Harrasement by babus is not news for us gun enthusiasts and that is the reason i asked for guidance/help from your goodself sir. It is indiansforguns since many years been constantly and correctly answering and helping people.
Regards

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:18 pm

In that case, best way forward would be to file an RTI with IS-II, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India asking the following questions:

1. Is it true that the Licensing authority for firearms of calibres/ bores which have been classified as "Restricted" is the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India?

2. What is the process to be followed while applying for Arms License for firearms of calibres/ bores which have been classified as "Restricted"? On what grounds would such an application be granted/ refused?

3. A list of calibres/ bores which have been classified as "Restricted" may be provided.

4. Is it true that calibres/ bores OTHER THAN THOSE which have been classified as "Restricted" are to be considered "permissible"? Specifically it may be clarified whether .45 (rimless) pistol is to be considered as "restricted" OR "permissible" bore?

5. Is it true that the Licensing authority for firearms of calibres/ bores OTHER THAN THOSE which have been classified as "Restricted" i.e. "permissible" is the District Magistrate/ Local licensing authority? On what grounds would such an application be granted/ refused?

www.gunowners.in

Cosmicsid
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Cosmicsid » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:49 pm

Thanks sir. I really appreciate the effort. Will definitely do the needful. (y)
Regards

Sam Kunal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Sam Kunal » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:50 pm

Cosmicsid , you are right to say that apart from increasing fees ,the authorities are not following the New Rules wholly. My application is moving very slowly even after one year.