Best dslr for wildlife photography . ......

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Best dslr for wildlife photography . ......

Post by Woods » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:06 pm

My two cents : Wildlife photography necessarily requires quick ( very quick) auto-focus , very high frame rate and still the equipment be as convenient as possible to use and handle . DSLR is big because of the mirror column of the viewfinder . Do give a look at Sony alpha6000 or alpha 6500 . Compare these two against a conventional DSLR , you'll be happy .Technology is changing definition of everything .
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

For Advertising mail webmaster
ibalajis
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Best dslr for wildlife photography . ......

Post by ibalajis » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:54 pm

"The best DSLR" is always a subject of debate... And the skill of the photographer plays a major role. I have attached a photograph I took with my Canon 1100D (a supposedly entry level DSLR) for everyone's viewing pleasure :) [img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201702 ... 0f24ec.jpg[/img]
Last edited by ibalajis on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Lately people have been talking much about Sony Rx 10 series. These cameras afford a wide focal range so you don't have to ' interchange' lenses as you do in a conventional DSLR . But on the other hand these cameras employ 1 inch sensors and not APS-C size sensors so much to the displeasure of puritans . Weatherproofing is one more factor which is offered by Sony alpha series . No Canon/Nikon seen with weatherproofing under 1lakh price AFAIK .

Added in 1 minute 22 seconds:
ibalajis , unable to see the picture bro

ibalajis
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ibalajis » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:22 am

Woods wrote:Lately people have been talking much about Sony Rx 10 series. These cameras afford a wide focal range so you don't have to ' interchange' lenses as you do in a conventional DSLR . But on the other hand these cameras employ 1 inch sensors and not APS-C size sensors so much to the displeasure of puritans . Weatherproofing is one more factor which is offered by Sony alpha series . No Canon/Nikon seen with weatherproofing under 1lakh price AFAIK .

Added in 1 minute 22 seconds:
ibalajis , unable to see the picture bro
I have uploaded again with less resolution bro... See if it works :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

snehasingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by snehasingh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:43 am

hi guys, its good post concerning media print, we all be aware of media is a wonderful
source of facts.

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 am

lucky96 wrote:
Ramandeep wrote:In my opinion both Nikon and Canon make good dslr it is generally the personal preference one exerts on these two brands, I am a Canon guy so I generally prefer and would advocate a Canon dslr but since you are saying you are beginner in wildlife photography I would suggest you IMHO the budget you have set of 35k you should go for Canon powershot SX60 which is actually not a dslr but a good advanced compact camera with good zoom features, you can polish your skills in it and then maybe keep it as backup camera and proceed for a dslr the reason I am suggesting you this cam is as in wildlife and two things are of utmost paramount is the distance of the subject and speed, distance can be countered with good zoom range and speed can be countered with a flexible ISO range which the Canon powershot SX60 can amply provide. If you wanna go for only dslr then I would suggest you expand your budget as for wildlife photography you would definitely need a telephoto zoom lens which would generally start say from upwards of 50k and to team up with a dslr you can go for Canon 1200D or Canon 600D for which you will have to stretch you budget say Upto 80-90k. Starting photography with an advanced compact camera is also a real good option.

Regards

Raman

I think "Canon EOS-1D X Mark II" is best for wildlife photography because of its AutoFocus point(61), Max Burst Rate of 170 and ISO range of 100–51,200 (409,600).
I think i replied to a post where a person wanted to start wildlife photography in a certain budget. Canon EOS-1d X Mark II is definitely top of the line but has a huge price tag on it around 4.5L and for wildlife photography to team up with that camera one needs a good super telephoto lens which is gonna go north of 7L and carbon fibre tripod upwards of 50k. Investing around 12L on photography equipment which someone is pursuing as a hobby would not be a wise decision IMHO, whereas if the hobby turns into a devoted passion and the person is willing to spend time on it then it would be actually a good investment or someone who has deep pockets wouldn't mind buying toys for 12-15L its a great buy.

Regards

Raman
1 shot 1 kill!

ibalajis
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: RE: Re: Best dslr for wildlife photography . ......

Post by ibalajis » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Ramandeep wrote:
lucky96 wrote:
Ramandeep wrote:In my opinion both Nikon and Canon make good dslr it is generally the personal preference one exerts on these two brands, I am a Canon guy so I generally prefer and would advocate a Canon dslr but since you are saying you are beginner in wildlife photography I would suggest you IMHO the budget you have set of 35k you should go for Canon powershot SX60 which is actually not a dslr but a good advanced compact camera with good zoom features, you can polish your skills in it and then maybe keep it as backup camera and proceed for a dslr the reason I am suggesting you this cam is as in wildlife and two things are of utmost paramount is the distance of the subject and speed, distance can be countered with good zoom range and speed can be countered with a flexible ISO range which the Canon powershot SX60 can amply provide. If you wanna go for only dslr then I would suggest you expand your budget as for wildlife photography you would definitely need a telephoto zoom lens which would generally start say from upwards of 50k and to team up with a dslr you can go for Canon 1200D or Canon 600D for which you will have to stretch you budget say Upto 80-90k. Starting photography with an advanced compact camera is also a real good option.

Regards

Raman

I think "Canon EOS-1D X Mark II" is best for wildlife photography because of its AutoFocus point(61), Max Burst Rate of 170 and ISO range of 100–51,200 (409,600).
I think i replied to a post where a person wanted to start wildlife photography in a certain budget. Canon EOS-1d X Mark II is definitely top of the line but has a huge price tag on it around 4.5L and for wildlife photography to team up with that camera one needs a good super telephoto lens which is gonna go north of 7L and carbon fibre tripod upwards of 50k. Investing around 12L on photography equipment which someone is pursuing as a hobby would not be a wise decision IMHO, whereas if the hobby turns into a devoted passion and the person is willing to spend time on it then it would be actually a good investment or someone who has deep pockets wouldn't mind buying toys for 12-15L its a great buy.

Regards

Raman
Agree, investing heavily on the first camera is not wise IMHO.

@OP, I have a Canon 1100D with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses which clicks pretty detailed and clear pictures. You can go for either Canon or Nikon entry level DSLRs and start clicking straightaway. You could consider investing on your hobby once you get a hang of it, my 2 cents.
Last edited by ibalajis on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:46 pm

I assume that by best DSLR you mean best system for wild life.Canon wins hands down for wildlife mainly due to its range of lenses which remain unmatched.Professionals marry into a system that provides maximum flexibility of quality glass.Canon has the best combination in the prime telephoto ranges, macro lenses, tilt and shift lenses(only canon has these), fast wide angle zoom and prime lenses for landscapes last but not the least they have good mid range L zooms.
recently Sony has DSLR sensors with mind bending capability the reason Nikon uses Sony sensors in its bodies eyes closed, Canon sensors are lagging a bit here but in real world one may not notice unless one is a die hard pixel peeper and you know what to look for.as far as a APS-C/full frame is concerned you are essentially looking at a Canon or a Nikon.
the other sensor formats like four-thirds and APS-C mirror-less are limiting for a purist.
trying to shoot wild life with anything less than a 300 prime/zoom in the wild is a good joke, believe me i find shooting tigers in Bandhavgarh or kanha national park with 300mm + 1.4 converter short sometimes.
I feel Canon 80D with Canon 100-400mm L USM IS is a decent mid level kit that covers all bases.then you can go for a canon 24-105mm F4 L,Canon 100m macro, Sigma 30mm f1.4 ART series...as needed.the Canon 18-55mm comes with the kit this lens may surprise you with its razor sharp images considering its a cheap kit lens.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Will quickly add my two cents from the little hands on experience i have had. All the gear i have is from Canon so i can only recommend stuff from their range.
For wildlife, i prefer using the APSC sensors for their added reach. So i would suggest picking you whatever best you can afford prioritising fps and weather sealing if possible. But between the body and lenses, I would strongly suggest spending/budgeting more for the lenses cause that is what makes all the difference. For wildlife i would recommend going with whichever fixed focal lens you can afford with the longest reach. But keep in mind weight and comfort too as lugging around something big and heavy is not fun, especially in the sun and if you have to trek along the way.

Heres a quick shot of what i carried during a short trip up north last month.
20170126_135347.jpg
Despite having the 500 F4L IS, i find myself carrying the 300 F4L IS fitted with a 1.4x converter most of the times for its ease of carry and use.
In my view, all the zoom lens in the telephoto range are crap and over rated. They come no where close to the performance of the fixed focal length lenses. I have a sigma 150-500 that I have designated for times when i am not sure my gear will be 100% safe i.e. for use during the monsoons...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41 am

I came across this article today ...says......the thing that struck me the most during the press event was the sheer number of Sony mirrorless camera users in the room. Not only that, but also the ratio of Sony mirrorless users to DSLR users.
While this is a bit of an anecdotal observation, we know that Sony just stepped into the second place position ahead of Nikon for the full-frame interchangeable lense camera sales in the US.
http://www.photographybay.com/2017/04/2 ... Ez0g3P62xu

Added in 9 minutes 40 seconds:
ibalajis wrote:"The best DSLR" is always a subject of debate... And the skill of the photographer plays a major role.
:agree:
Equipment is secondary .
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/12539828
Same person may take better photograph with better equipment though .
Tour season around . Time to clean up and prepare gear .

Added in 6 minutes 20 seconds:
ibalajis . The tiger pic is marvellous . The frame you chose , the light the chosen background and the perfect moment . If this pic was mine , it would be pure stroke of luck.

ibalajis
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ibalajis » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Woods wrote:I came across this article today ...says......the thing that struck me the most during the press event was the sheer number of Sony mirrorless camera users in the room. Not only that, but also the ratio of Sony mirrorless users to DSLR users.
While this is a bit of an anecdotal observation, we know that Sony just stepped into the second place position ahead of Nikon for the full-frame interchangeable lense camera sales in the US.
http://www.photographybay.com/2017/04/2 ... Ez0g3P62xu

Added in 9 minutes 40 seconds:
ibalajis wrote:"The best DSLR" is always a subject of debate... And the skill of the photographer plays a major role.
:agree:
Equipment is secondary .
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/12539828
Same person may take better photograph with better equipment though .
Tour season around . Time to clean up and prepare gear .

Added in 6 minutes 20 seconds:
ibalajis . The tiger pic is marvellous . The frame you chose , the light the chosen background and the perfect moment . If this pic was mine , it would be pure stroke of luck.
Thanks for the appreciation buddy, I was at the right place at the right time.

jamesmilner1337
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by jamesmilner1337 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:36 am

Good afternoon.
Thank you so much for useful tips. Hope to use it in my job.
Wish you good luck
James