Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
WilliamTell
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by WilliamTell » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:15 pm

Thank you hvj1 for your kind reply. I should have mentioned (my mistake - new to the group) I am from Pune, and the range manager (where I am a member) has my duly filled form and the money (some Rs. 2500 or so) but he told me that I cannot become a registered shooter unless and until I participate (and qualify) in some competition which is for this very purpose (for new shooter to qualify as shooters - the score required 350/400 - something like that). The next such competition is likely to be on March 2017 (so he said). So am I supposed to wait for the next such competition or go to Mumbai and register myself as a shooter (as you suggest)? By the way, shall you be in Pune for the Nationals? Thank you.

For Advertising mail webmaster
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:12 pm

WilliamTell wrote:he told me that I cannot become a registered shooter unless and until I participate (and qualify) in some competition
I am not sure if this is correct, to register with NRAI, you just need your form to be attested by your state rifle association, now state rifle association can play their own rules, but i became NRAI registered shooter without any participation

WilliamTell
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by WilliamTell » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:29 pm

Yes I am beginning to get a clearer picture - thanks to you and a couple of others who advised me to go ahead and register myself with the MRA/NRAI. (Unfortunately missed on the opportunity to participate in all the competitions held since this July :( ) Thanks again.

WilliamTell
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by WilliamTell » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:28 pm

Hello; would someone be kind enough to explain to me the following: when I practice AP at home the approximate distance (between me & the pellet trap) is 29-30 feet whereas at a range it is the standard 10m (approximately 33 feet) - so if I practice more at home, would this difference of 2-4 feet (and maybe the height of the pellet trap-stand - used at home as compared to the standard height at a range - maybe 2-4 inches variation from the standard) matter significantly in the long run? If yes, then what adjustments should I make at home to compensate for the variation in distance and height? Thank you - and wish you all a very happy new year!

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi ,

Agn sorry for being away bro. But haven't been shooting or competing for a while. Was a bad decision to sell the ap. Though I picked up an Ashani for all match purposes should have stuck to my Steyr.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

χάος
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by χάος » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:04 pm

WilliamTell wrote:Hello; would someone be kind enough to explain to me the following: when I practice AP at home the approximate distance (between me & the pellet trap) is 29-30 feet whereas at a range it is the standard 10m (approximately 33 feet) - so if I practice more at home, would this difference of 2-4 feet (and maybe the height of the pellet trap-stand - used at home as compared to the standard height at a range - maybe 2-4 inches variation from the standard) matter significantly in the long run? If yes, then what adjustments should I make at home to compensate for the variation in distance and height? Thank you - and wish you all a very happy new year!
Hi there,
It will not make big difference, only minor elevations clicks when on the range. However, the match environment at the range will make big difference. The noise, target rolling sound, other shooters' noise, other equpment sound, etc., these things matters a lot. At home, generally you are the boss, do things at your convenience, and likewise. At range, you are just a part of the population.
However, maybe week along practice at home and weekends over the range will do fine to keep you acclimatized to the range discipline and surroundings.
Also, dry practise matters the most in precision (pistol & rifle) shootings.
Adios'

V

Guns don't kill people - POLICIES DO
What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. what we can't understand we call nonsense. What we can't read we call gibberish.

bishu57
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by bishu57 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Back to the range after a long hiatus. Happy to update, qualified for west zone in centre fire pistol at the Capt Ezikiel this year [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri May 25, 2018 6:06 am

hvj1 wrote:
airgun_novice wrote: OK back to the Qn -

Q. Pellets and AP staying the same, can a change of cylinder lead to different placement of shots on the same target ?
NO
Actually it can but it depends on the pistol.

I used to have a FWB Mod.2 (CO2 pistol) that did exactly that.

Which air-pistol are you using?

prashraj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Shooting bug bites again.

Post by prashraj » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:07 am

Dear friends,
I have purchased Precihole SP60 airgun, and developed a 10 mt shooting range in my home. The last time I posted here in 2014, but this time I am serious( I have purchased Airgun ) to myself. I have started practice and reading online material regarding correcting my standing position,flinch and movement while pulling trigger. I am practicing since last 3 days, In the beginning my shots were way off target.I started with watching, how my gun moves while taking shot, movement of hands while aiming and pulling trigger. While searching for improving on these, I came across breathing control method. I have started implementing it and noticing follow through after the shot, come to know that though my hands are moving but there is some problem with rear sight the gun too. After reading online, I tried adjusting it. After some trial & error and adjustment I have started shooting close to the center(in and around 6, 7 , 8), still there is scope of windage and elevation adjustment. I want help in adjusting my rear sight, so that I can shoot confidentially. Can anyone comment on the accuracy of this airgun.

Regards
Prashant

VinayP
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by VinayP » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:44 pm

Hi everyone,
i have read about good 90 pages of this thread. A very useful, resourceful thread!! I am a beginner. Trying to learn shooting.

Couple of doubts. Someone please clarify.

1. What does "Figure 8" exercise mean? I read it multiple times. But never understood it fully. Could someone pls elaborate?

2. What exercises need to be done for shoulders ? I am experiencing severe pain above my elbows when I am trying to practice.

3. Which is a good beginners air pistol for practice at home?

Thanks and Regards
Vinay

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:35 pm

Hello Vinay,
You may visit my website www.foresightshooting.com
Regards
hvj1