AARMR Hurricane Model 15. First Impressions. Picture Heavy

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: AARMR Hurricane Model 15. First Impressions. Picture Heavy

Post by GNV » Sat May 21, 2016 2:57 pm

I am just admitting a mistake I made friend. I saw this flyer when vsraja posted it on 18th of March and noted that they are not using Teflon guides in the production guns. I had forgotten what material they are using currently for spring guides and mistakenly stated that it is PU. I don't intend to use the current PE guide. Instead I intend to cut and use it as a tophat along with a couple of thin washers ( used in PH SX series Guns ) coated with moly at each end of the spring.The thick single washer used on AARMR gun's spring guide is useless in my opinion. However the gun is a 12 ft.lb gun and accurate as well. I had made some modifications to the stock before. Now I need to make a new higher cheek piece for comfortable shooting using a scope.

GNV

For Advertising mail webmaster
ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Sun May 22, 2016 1:54 am

agree with what you have said here recently, i too find the old spring with the Teflon guide the best combination.i tried to make the cheek piece some weeks back. when visiting a bike parts shop it struck me that i could try using the bike handle bar grips to form the cheek piece.
a bit of rubber glue and scissors did the trick now the cheek weld is day n night, also feels good and does not look after market.
IMG_20160522_012301-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun May 22, 2016 7:13 am

Wow !!
Great idea saarji

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Sun May 22, 2016 9:50 am

That looks pretty awesome. The curved finish you've given it makes a difference.

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Sun May 22, 2016 10:58 pm

Pretty cool. (y) (y) (y)

I still don't understand why AARMR is not willing to change the stock. If they want a TACTICAL Stock they could replace the current stock wit a properly designed Tactical Stock. The action to stock fit is very poor in the current stock.

GNV

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Sun May 22, 2016 11:41 pm

How about this model of stock for Hurricane. what is your views
With regards,
vsraja

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Sun May 22, 2016 11:55 pm

thanks GNV, Basuda and asj_raj for your kind words.
BTW vsraja the idea of a bullpup is good for a springier like the famous IZH 60 that is magazine fed.

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Mon May 23, 2016 8:05 am

They should dispense with all the 'tactical' shebang and stick with a traditional design. IMO nothing beats a good old fashioned polished wooden stock anyway.
I've been wondering, for those who have the Hurricane, is it possible to switch to the stock completely?

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Mon May 23, 2016 8:24 pm

Properly designed Tactical with proper ergonomics have their own appeal. There is nothing wrong with them as long as they are comfortable to shoot.
Similarly Synthetic stocks are perfect for field use and maintenance free. Siilarly RF finish and Ceramic Coating are perfect for field use. Regular Bluing needs some care and if you are careless then they rust.
I think Bull Pup design is not practical for Springers.

I recently learned about magzter.com and became a Gold Member. I was delighted when I found that Airgunner and Air Gun World magazines are available to download and downloaded all the available issues. This app is pretty cool and subscription is not expensive.

Regards,
GNV

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Fri May 27, 2016 5:36 pm

So I happened to speak to Col Puri earlier today and he informed me that the production had been delayed further due to some problem with delivery of one of the machines they had ordered. He also said that they had succeed in achieving muzzle velocity of 860 fps (didn't mention what pellets) but was a little sketchy about the exact muzzle energy being delivered by the latest iteration. The main problem he said was that currently the inside of the cylinders was being finished by hand instead of being machined so they had been unable to obtain consistency over all the units, something that would be fixed later on.
He mentioned the pieces being ready by mid to end of next month (so there is still more waiting :( ), and also mentioned that the current high muzzle energy might be reduced later on to prevent issues with the gun being more powerful than what is permitted for ARs.

main13
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by main13 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:31 pm

asj_raj wrote:So I happened to speak to Col Puri earlier today and he informed me that the production had been delayed further due to some problem with delivery of one of the machines they had ordered. He also said that they had succeed in achieving muzzle velocity of 860 fps (didn't mention what pellets) but was a little sketchy about the exact muzzle energy being delivered by the latest iteration. The main problem he said was that currently the inside of the cylinders was being finished by hand instead of being machined so they had been unable to obtain consistency over all the units, something that would be fixed later on.
He mentioned the pieces being ready by mid to end of next month (so there is still more waiting :( ), and also mentioned that the current high muzzle energy might be reduced later on to prevent issues with the gun being more powerful than what is permitted for ARs.
Let me know if reduced power is any issue.. That's something that can be 'negotiated'... ;)
You should've spoken to apna Manbir paaji - am seriously keen to find out the weight & brand of those pellets. Typically they use Mastershot 16gr pointeds to test. Not sure which ones were these...
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods.

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Fri May 27, 2016 7:41 pm

main13 wrote:Let me know if reduced power is any issue.. That's something that can be 'negotiated'... ;)
You should've spoken to apna Manbir paaji - am seriously keen to find out the weight & brand of those pellets. Typically they use Mastershot 16gr pointeds to test. Not sure which ones were these...
I actually don't have Mr Manbir's number. The sales lady only gave me Col Puri's.
I might be off mark but the way I see it, as I've mentioned before, the one major advantage the Hurricane has over Precihole models is the power, apart from that Precihole seems to have honed everything else to as good as it can get in their NX100 series. Some bells and whistles like ceramic coating etc remain, but then they have RF plating instead.
So yeah, IMO they should follow the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' motto and keep Hurricane as powerful as it is, while improving other aspects.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Fri May 27, 2016 8:38 pm

After all this talk, does this air rifle actually delivery more power than the precihole (>12fpe without diseling) or do we just have hot air blowing?
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Fri May 27, 2016 8:53 pm

kshitij wrote:After all this talk, does this air rifle actually delivery more power than the precihole (>12fpe without diseling) or do we just have hot air blowing?
I'm afraid I'm going by what the other patrons have posted about the first iterations they had tried. Haven't had the chance to vet any of the claims myself since AARMR sports is all out of units for now and none of the local retailers have even heard of it.

main13
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by main13 » Fri May 27, 2016 9:08 pm

asj_raj wrote: I actually don't have Mr Manbir's number. The sales lady only gave me Col Puri's.
I might be off mark but the way I see it, as I've mentioned before, the one major advantage the Hurricane has over Precihole models is the power, apart from that Precihole seems to have honed everything else to as good as it can get in their NX100 series. Some bells and whistles like ceramic coating etc remain, but then they have RF plating instead.
So yeah, IMO they should follow the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' motto and keep Hurricane as powerful as it is, while improving other aspects.
Check PM.

I'm yet to buy it myself so can't comment on its current behavior but apparently Manbir paji says that the gun has become extremely 'soft' & power has increased consistently with further refinements. Can be sure of it only when I get it myself..

The stock design I don't at all. The 3.5kg weight I do mind somewhat. A heavy rifle is ok if shooting bullets at several thousand atmospheres as it improves recoil & accuracy but I don't think one needs a heavy rifle to shoot 16gr pellets at a few atmospheric pressure..!

But then it also makes it extremely sturdy & likely to last probably our lifetimes & perhaps our kids' too - that's something I really appreciate about weaponry.. In our home we still have a few blades & hides that are over hundred years old... :)

The stock design I wish I had been involved with earlier - its one of my hobbies.. Actually they manufacture fibre stocks for IOF rifles, among other stuff. What Sardarji did was to take that same firearm stock, modified its design to turn it into an impromptu airrifle on CAD.. But then, being a Sardar, he firmly believes that ARs are for kids - so he 'shortened' the full length stock to accomodate a shorter pull length - little did he know his gun would be carefully scrutinized by grown up guys, some with with decades of shooting experience... :D
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods.