Trip to Bhimashankar continued

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Trip to Bhimashankar continued

Post by SMJ » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Some more pictures...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Trip to Bhimashankar continued

Post by Sakobav » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:15 am

SMJ
nice pictures looks like a python..hope you did some plinking only..just for clarification are guns including air files allowed inside national parks or sanctuaries in india? I was informed they arent ? this is a place in maharashtra?

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:36 pm

The snake appears to be Russel's Khukri?

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:04 pm

Absolutely sir, just pure plinking. As I said I was not too happy about the back drop but didn't have much choice unfortunately. I would have preferred to set up the targets in other open parts of this vast property which I felt would have been safer. But for reasons I mentioned, I was advised not to. However before starting to shoot, I did my best to make sure the area behind the boundary was absolutely clear. You are right - firearms or even air rifles in national parks or a sanctuary are a definite no. I would not have taken my air guns if I was staying within the precincts of a national park or a wildlife sanctuary -it would be both irresponsible and illegal. This property is built in what I believe are called reserved forests. The wildlife sanctuary began a further 10 kms away. Upon reaching the place I had informed the management of my air guns and my intent to plink - only went ahead with their permission. Yes this place is in Maharashtra.
@sudhaiob- that is correct, could not edit the post.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:18 pm

sudhaiob wrote:The snake appears to be Russel's Khukri?
It is a Russel viper. Very poisonous indeed.

SMJ, what would the rifle on the left be?

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:37 pm

Hello Big Daddy,

Sudhaoib is correct, it is a Russells Kukri- realized the error too late to edit.

The rifle on the left is good 'ol IHP 35

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:40 pm

Good photos
Thanks for posting.

I was wondering if you could answer some questions?
Were you able to go into the wildlife sanctuary itself?
What kind of facilities do they have for visitors? Do they have tours, etc.?
Do they have a significant amount of wildlife there? Is it worth a trip from that aspect?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:44 am

Hi XL Target,

Thanks. More than happy to answer your questions :)

1.No I was not able to go into the wildlife sanctuary this visit. The sanctuary is around 131 sq kms, primarily set up to protect the habitat of the Malabar giant squirrel (known as a "Shekru" locally). Bhimashankar is actually more famous as a location for one of the 12 Jyotirlinga's of India. The temple borders the wildlife sanctuary.

2.The resort so far offers only basic facilities - there are no TV's, very little connectivity for cell phones and no running hot water- you still have to ask them to heat the water up for you. For me it was a fantastic experience. Sadly there are grandiose plans to fully develop the place. Here is the website link to the resort - http://www.bhimashankarbluemormon.com/ Regarding wildlife tours - from what I understand the forest department has started some tours but they are still scanty and pretty much in their nascent stage. I don't see it being regularized like a Ranthambore or a Kanha.

3. Unfortunately, no - there are leopards but not enough of a prey base to hold a decent population. Here is another interesting link which will give you some insight - http://www.wrcsindia.org/?q=project/spo ... imashankar This is definitely not the place to go for anyone who is interested in some serious spotting.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:07 pm

Thank you very much, SMJ.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941