Illuminated open gun sights!!!!

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
TariqPathan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Illuminated open gun sights!!!!

Post by TariqPathan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:36 am

Hi guys,

I have the following weapons

1) 12 Bore James Enos double barrel.
2) IOF .30-06 ( no scope yet)
3) Diana Model 35 (no scope)
4) Diana Model 27 (no scope)
5) Precihole NX100 (no scope)

I am short sighted and wear spectacles. I accept that I do have problems seeing in the dark and take more time adjusting to Low light situations. Hence, I am not that quick when I have to shoot in the dark. Can someone suggest how to have illuminated open rifle sights ( Indian Perspective )??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Illuminated open gun sights!!!!

Post by xl_target » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:46 am

The usual way here would be to get some kind of night sight. They are generally available for handguns. They use a tritium ampoule mounted in the sight, This gives you a glow in the dark sight without any batteries or other external power source. They have a 12 year half life after which they get progressively dimmer and will have to be changed.

Here are the sights on my CZ75 P-06s

This is what they look like in total darkness

However, you probably are not going to be able to get any kind ot tritium sight that will fit any of your sight dovetails.

When I was young, my friends and i used to shoot rats at night in the shadows of Mumbai's Colaba skyscrapers.
The simplest expedient that we resorted to was to hold a flashlight with the supporting hand near the fore end of the stock of our air rifles.. This illuminated the front sight as well as the target. With a little practice we were quite successful. Of course having young eyes helped a lot. This might be something that you could try.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

TariqPathan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by TariqPathan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:59 am

Hi xl_target,
The view from your weapon looks fantastic. Wish there could be something like that for my weapons. Will try my best to find an alternative to this. Was considering using "glow in the dark phosphorescent neon paint"

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:44 pm

I have used glow in the dark paint on sights. It is better than nothing and does not cost much to try. My big trouble is that it can be dim until your eyes adjust. I have discovered the lume used for watch hands is much better quality. If there is a watchmaker nearby maybe he can help with lume and suggest a clear protective finish.

For low light with rifles I prefer a "ghost ring" style rear with a luminous front post. You could try investigating those.

Added in 6 minutes 10 seconds:
Also I used to use XL's flashlight technique a bit but we would use an elastic strap to hold the light on the side of the gun. We discovered if you do not protect the gun first with some cloth however it wears off the stock finish.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:11 pm

What an interesting topic! Reminded me of the old HMT watches that we had; radium painted hands and numerals! :D

Thank you Mark and xl_target for your inputs.

TariqPathan maybe you could try this link Radium Paint from India.

P.S. I am thinking of getting LASIK, my eyesight is pretty shot too - I have had hypermetropia since I was a child. :cry:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

TariqPathan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by TariqPathan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:58 am

Thanks Mark gonna try all that .
And ckkalyan I will try the paint and also contemplating las ok myself. But better than lasik is a newer technique called SMILE.