Knives, gear reviews and more

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Knives, gear reviews and more

Post by zombie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:48 pm

Hello everyone,

Under guidance from Katana, we have started a YouTube channel focusing on camping/outdoors activity. We have reviewed Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate and Gerber LMF II survival knife. I have shared links below. Support us by liking and sharing our videos. Comment on them and subscribe to our channel.

You may also drop us a line at savaj.outdoors [at] gmail.com.

Episode-5: Gerber LMF II Survival knife review

Episode-4: Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate knife review

Thank you all.

Zombie

P.S: Mods, feel free to relocate/merge this thread.
Last edited by zombie on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Guns are not evil. Humans are

Savaj Outdoors channel: www.youtube.com/savajoutdoors

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Knife reviews

Post by kshitij » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:29 am

Hi Vishal,

I did see both of your reviews. I guess you are one of the only 3 indian channels that i know of reviewing knives and outdoor gear. Good initiative :)

At the cost of being blunt and sounding like a jerk, i must point out few things:
1. In the first video, Gerber is pronounced as Jerber, twice. This could be purely out of the pressure of making the video but i guess getting the name of the manufacturer you are reviewing right is essential to making your video credible.
2. Both knives reviewed were partially serrated. Which to me is like wasting half the length of the blade. Even when you were batoning with one of the knives, you were using only the upper half (fine edge) of the knife due to which you were having to hit on the very tip of the knife. Again to be credible, you need to be able to call an apple-an apple and a lemon-a lemon (which both the knives were :P ) Suggesting something is a good buy just because you are reviewing it is not done.
3. You also recommend both knives as good "EDC" options. Are you really serious buddy? :P
Neither of those two are going to fit in anybodys pocket. So if you are suggesting EDC-ing those tactical looking blades on the waist, then i would like to know how that works out for who ever does try that. Carrying something like that in ones backpack isnt too bright an idea either.

The above is purely my point of view and i may be absolutely wrong. But I have expressed them with the intention of only providing constructive criticism and not to put you down in anyway. Hope to see more gear reviews from you.

Cheers :)
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:47 am

Hi Kshitij,

Thank you for your suggestions. Since we are really new at this, we are trying to improve and constructive criticism really helps.

1. As you rightly put it, I pronounce it as Jerber in Ep-4. Have corrected that in Ep-5.

2. I have mentioned in Ep-4 that there are pros and cons of full edge vs half serrated blades. So I have not really delved in that as that topic calls for an individual video.

3. I have not recommended LMF 2 for EDC. I have suggested it as a knife to keep in your car or while camping. It would be a headache as EDC. Bear Grylls is a different story. Actually it can easily be looped on to belt and worn horizontally.

Once again, I appreciate your suggestions. We'll be doing a review of Coldsteel SRK shortly. But we are not only about knives. We'll be doing reviews of backpacks and other 'dual use' items. Let us know what products would you like us to review.

Take care!

P.S.: I hope that you have subscribed to our channel.

marksman_dd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marksman_dd » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi there zombi,
Lot's of luck for your channel on knife review....
Since in india it's not possible for everyone(leaving a few) to have these high end performance knifes, can you also add the reviews of budget knives ranging from 1000 to 3000 rs. Both folder, fixed and about their use in various scenario

Sent from my E6553
faster, faster, faster, faster .......
till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:29 am

Hi Marksman_dd,

Thank you for your wishes.

We'll definitely keep that in mind. As I mentioned in earlier post, we'll be reviewing lot of 'dual use' items. Most of them will be in decent price range. Since we are doing reviews of stuff we have in our collection, as of now we have limited choices. But we'll try to find some knives in price range you suggested and review them.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:26 am

zombie wrote:Hi Kshitij,
We'll be doing a review of Coldsteel SRK shortly. But we are not only about knives. We'll be doing reviews of backpacks and other 'dual use' items. Let us know what products would you like us to review.
Hi,

You guys could review other gear like flashlights, solar powered camping lights, tents, sleeping bags, camping stoves etc.
Also you could explore the possibility of doing a video log of the places one could go trekking/camping. It could detail how to get there, places to explore, things to carry, things to look out for etc.
All the best with the channel,
Cheers.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

marksman_dd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marksman_dd » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:54 pm

just subscribed your channel...
nice reviews on knives.....
faster, faster, faster, faster .......
till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:58 pm

kshitij wrote:You guys could review other gear like flashlights, solar powered camping lights, tents, sleeping bags, camping stoves etc.
Also you could explore the possibility of doing a video log of the places one could go trekking/camping. It could detail how to get there, places to explore, things to carry, things to look out for etc.
Hi Kshitij,

We will review the items you mentioned and then some.

We would love to do a video log. In fact we are planning a video log of an overnight stay in the woods that would cover all the points you mentioned and more.

BTW, we had done a review of solar power bank and a DIY for a lantern using plastic bottles, water and a flashlight. Video quality and editing are not that good as these videos are from initial days.

Episode-2: DIY - Make a lantern using bottles, water and a flashlight

Episode-3: Solar charger review

Enjoy!
Last edited by zombie on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:40 pm

marksman_dd wrote:just subscribed your channel...
nice reviews on knives.....
Thank you marksman_dd.

Enjoy!

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi zombie
Subscribed your channel. Good reviews. It was my wish that there should be indians reviewing knives and gears. Thank you for taking such step. Good luck
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi Raghvendrasingh,

I have also subscribed to your channel. It is good to see your Khukri reviews. It is widely known knife, but perceived to be a combat knife. Fact is, it is a utility knife that has been put to good use by Gurkhas in combat.

Keep up the good work and keep them flowing.

A small suggestion for you. Try to keep 'blank' time to a minimum. As in show visuals of gear while you do the introduction.

Enjoy!

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:51 pm

Thanks a lot bro
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Knives, gear reviews and more

Post by zombie » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Hello friends,

Here's a quick bite from us.

How to boil an egg without pan or water:

Support us by liking and sharing our videos. Comment on them and subscribe to our channel.

Enjoy!

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:32 pm

Hello friends,

As I had mentioned earlier, we reviewed a backpack this time. This backpack is Maxgear X-7 laptop backpack. I have been using this backpack since last 6 months and I am happy with it except for couple of things. Although Maxgear is based in China, they make some great products. Go through this review and let us know your thoughts. Please support us by clicking Like/Share/Comment and Subscribe.

Episode-6: Maxgear X-7 Laptop Backpack Review

Enjoy!!!

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:26 pm

Hello everyone,

Our YouTube channel trailer for Savaj Outdoors is out. Do check it out and please share your comments and feedback.

YouTube Channel Trailer

Enjoy!!!