Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:17 pm

Dear all,
One stupid-sa Qn - Does the trigger shoe have to be curved (by rules of NRAI/ ISSF) or can it be flat and straight (right rotated 90 deg "T")
regs
A

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:16 am

airgun_novice wrote: Dear all,
One stupid-sa Qn - Does the trigger shoe have to be curved (by rules of NRAI/ ISSF) or can it be flat and straight (right rotated 90 deg "T")
regs
A
> AGN - See this link, wealth of information....
NRA PISTOL RULES - NRA Competitive Shooting Programs
compete.nra.org/documents/pdf/.../RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf
ventional Pistol Matches These rules establish uniform standards for NRA sanctioned ... A tournament may be conducted on one day, or successive days, or may .... the regular Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, ..... Trigger shoes and stops ... volver. The pistol may have orthopedic or specially shaped grips........

Briha

kishorbhagwat
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kishorbhagwat » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi all,

I am very new to this sport. Just started practicing 20 days back with common sharing AP of shooting range. Since last 3-4 days I am going around 340/400. But not above that. So got info about this blog on net. after surfing thro this I got info about figure 8 exercise. But after reading multiple time about the figure 8 exercise on page 103, I am not able understand figure 8 exercise. This could be the fullish question, so may be you ignored my earlier query. Now I am putting my doubt in more clear way.
1. I am able to do the exercise from 2mtr. at home. So I need to create plan square target of 3.4 cm X 3.4cm. Am I correct or do I need to draw circles also on it.
2. Do I need to do this repetition using AP? I don't have AP then how to do that? any alternate arrangement.
3. Draw eight means what? moving on circle drawn for the score 8 on target i.e. outer ring of black portion on target OR moving like 8?
4. If like 8 then horizontal or vertical?

This could be kidish questions.......but I want to clear them instead of practicing something wrong.
Thanks in advance for your kind support. And sorry for troubling you.

Thanks,
Kishor

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:38 pm

brihacharan wrote:
airgun_novice wrote: Dear all,
regs
A
> AGN - See this link, wealth of information....
NRA PISTOL RULES - NRA Competitive Shooting Programs
compete.nra.org/documents/pdf/.../RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf
ventional Pistol Matches These rules establish uniform standards for NRA sanctioned ... A tournament may be conducted on one day, or successive days, or may .... the regular Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, ..... Trigger shoes and stops ... volver. The pistol may have orthopedic or specially shaped grips........

Briha
Dear Brihji

Many Thanks for the pointer. I checked out "International Pistol (Includes Air Pistol)". Though it does not mention explicitly anything about trigger shoe, it alludes, nonetheless, to the fact that the barrel must be straight up while weighing. This brings us to "crooked" shoe to hold the weight; else it might slip off a straight one unless a slight grove is cut in the trigger to hold the weight. Remember the angle between the axes of the barrel and the grip is about 135 degrees. Now with the shoes straight down, it still isn't at 90 degrees to the axis of the barrel. Hmmm... confusions galore. :-)

regs
A.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:48 pm

kishorbhagwat wrote:Hi all,

I am very new to this sport. Just started practicing 20 days back with common sharing AP of shooting range. Since last 3-4 days I am going around 340/400. But not above that. So got info about this blog on net. after surfing thro this I got info about figure 8 exercise. But after reading multiple time about the figure 8 exercise on page 103, I am not able understand figure 8 exercise. This could be the fullish question, so may be you ignored my earlier query. Now I am putting my doubt in more clear way.
1. I am able to do the exercise from 2mtr. at home. So I need to create plan square target of 3.4 cm X 3.4cm. Am I correct or do I need to draw circles also on it.
2. Do I need to do this repetition using AP? I don't have AP then how to do that? any alternate arrangement.
3. Draw eight means what? moving on circle drawn for the score 8 on target i.e. outer ring of black portion on target OR moving like 8?
4. If like 8 then horizontal or vertical?

This could be kidish questions.......but I want to clear them instead of practicing something wrong.
Thanks in advance for your kind support. And sorry for troubling you.

Thanks,
Kishor
Dear kishor,
Gathering my courage to answer your questions.

1. No concentric circles for Fig 8. Plain is P-L-A-I-N - i.e. BLANK; plain and simple as that.
2. Obviously. You can't. Nopes. Since you plan on shooting with AP what other thing can you think of that would have the same sights and weight/ heft since what you are doing is a sight alignment exercise ?
3. Follow the boundary outline of figure 8 in ENGLISH. Alternately, it's also like the RTO test fr granting you 2-wheeler license; except this one you do on the card on the wall. One circle drawn clockwise and the other anti-clockwise. The ring outer to the black portion is #6 not #8. On plain side there is no black portion, in any case.
4. It's figure EIGHT not INFINITY. So obviously VERTICAL.

Where do you prax ? Since you have scored obviously you have an access to an AP. With 20 days of prax if you shoot 340/400 it is very encouraging. Keep up with your current level of prax and you will only do and get better. Good Luck. :cheers:

regs
A.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Dear Mr. Bhagwat,
First and foremost there are no silly questions, ALL questions however silly they may appear to you are really quite important. You must get answers to them in order to avoid making silly mistakes.
1. First and foremost, the fig. 8 exercise needs to be done with a AP. If the AP is at the range then I sufggest you do the following exercises;
a) Follow the box drill methodology of training, and first get your sights aligned at one point on the wall. To do this you may reverse the air pistol target, so tha thte blank face is now facing you. Next lift your pistolin the centre of the blanktarget and align your sights. Hold the aligned sights for 10 - 12 seconds.
b) Give yourself a tick (correct) mark if your sight alignment was steady and satisfactory.
c) Repeat the above with sufficient rest between each sight holding exercise.
d) Initially try to achieve 40 repetitions within 45 minutes. Achieve 100 % then increase the number of repetitions by 10.
e) After you have achieved 100% in 40 reps, then I will advice you the fig. 8 exercises.
Hope this was satisfactory, if not , do call me.
Regards

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:01 pm

Came across those images while i was reading up on long range shooting with air rifles.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

kishorbhagwat
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kishorbhagwat » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks airgun_novice & Hvj1,

I read somewhere on net about some other figure 8 exercise using dumbbell, so got confused. I am doing practice at MES range in Pune. I handled AP first time on 9th Jan 15. I joined casually, so not decided to own personal AP. On 23rd I participated in mayor cup & scored 326/400. I also got surprised. On 29th I scored 340 & after that I am always between 332 to 340. I have decided myself to go for the personal AP only after crossing 360 for at least 1 week. So I am looking for the exercises to improve & reach at 360 ASAP.
After reading triggering technique on TOPS, I tried to implement on 7th (the day I had discussion with hvj1 ). I crossed 340 & reached 348. So I am hopeful that exercise given by you will help me to achieve 360 ASAP.

Thanks a lot again.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:46 am

kishorbhagwat wrote:Thanks airgun_novice & Hvj1,

I read somewhere on net about some other figure 8 exercise using dumbbell, so got confused. I am doing practice at MES range in Pune. I handled AP first time on 9th Jan 15. I joined casually, so not decided to own personal AP. On 23rd I participated in mayor cup & scored 326/400. I also got surprised. On 29th I scored 340 & after that I am always between 332 to 340. I have decided myself to go for the personal AP only after crossing 360 for at least 1 week. So I am looking for the exercises to improve & reach at 360 ASAP.
After reading triggering technique on TOPS, I tried to implement on 7th (the day I had discussion with hvj1 ). I crossed 340 & reached 348. So I am hopeful that exercise given by you will help me to achieve 360 ASAP.

Thanks a lot again.
Dear kishor,
If you are comfortable with the sport and wish to pursue it for next few years and are confident about your commitment, I think you should go for your own AP at the earliest. That should help you settle in faster and you will actually hit your dream scores earlier. Why ? Customization to personal attributes will eliminate a lot of floating variables. Is your MES range same as the one in Hadapsar ? If so, our Jitu Sati practices there; you will benefit by staying in touch with him. And of course we all have hvj1 to fall back on as we travel the Path. :-)
regs
A.

kishorbhagwat
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kishorbhagwat » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:39 pm

MES range is the range at the center of Pune City in Renuka Swaroop Girls Highschool. Regarding your suggestion on AP, I will think. I am thinking that if I can achieve 360 with common sharing AP, which having lots of variable. Then I can move much further with own AP. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks a lot.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:17 pm

kishorbhagwat wrote: I am thinking that if I can achieve 360 with common sharing AP, which having lots of variable. Then I can move much further with own AP. Correct me if I am wrong.
Correct.

kishorbhagwat
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kishorbhagwat » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi Hvj1,

As I told earlier that I was doing practice in MES range. There I was using Steyr LP10 AP, where I reached till 345-350 score. But due to some reason I changed the shooting range. Now I am practicing at sharda centre range. Here they have walther LP400 AP. I am practicing here since last 1 week. I am scoring between 310-320. There was no practice for 15 days in between chnage in range. Is this just due to change in AP or due to no pratice for 15 days? I am expecting expert view on this.

Thanks,
Kishor

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:29 pm

kishorbhagwat wrote:Hi Hvj1,

As I told earlier that I was doing practice in MES range. There I was using Steyr LP10 AP, where I reached till 345-350 score. But due to some reason I changed the shooting range. Now I am practicing at sharda centre range. Here they have walther LP400 AP. I am practicing here since last 1 week. I am scoring between 310-320. There was no practice for 15 days in between chnage in range. Is this just due to change in AP or due to no pratice for 15 days? I am expecting expert view on this.

Thanks,
Kishor
Ah! Nice questions, here are the likely answers;
1. Change in pistol, will affect your shooting, since the trigger feeling, sights and recoil of both pistols are different.

2. Change in Indoor shooting range will also make a difference, because NO two indoor shooting ranges are EXACTLY illuminated. One may have more powerful lights directly over your head the other may not. The same applies throughout the range as well as the light intensity on the target.
As a result, it takes a few sessions to get used to a new shooting range.

3. When you take up the pistol after 15 days, You not only forget what exactly to do, but also the muscle memory of your shooting arm and hand diminishes.

Regards

omydevil
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by omydevil » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:05 am

Hello Kishor Bhagvat Ji,

Can you please suggest good shooting range in Pune?

MES is better or Sharda Center Range is better ?

Thanks,
Omy

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:32 am

Hello Friends,
As discussed before, I plan to launch a website, which will make it easier for novices to pick up the nuances of air pistol shooting. Here is the first video - How to Shoot a '10' - Sequence of Steps (SOS).
Please feel free to comment, all criticism will be taken constructively,in fact will be most welcomed in order to improve video quality.
Having said that, my brief dabble with film (video) making has bestowed upon me the realisation of what film makers have to go through. And so, I doff my hat in respect to the Greats - Shyam Benegal, Ray, Scorsese, et all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_r6lAIkDM