12 BORE RIFLE SLUG

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

12 BORE RIFLE SLUG

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:32 pm

Dear All,

I have bought 'Shaktiman' 12 Bore Rifle Slugs. I believe that they are the same as what was called the 'Boll Ammunition'. Now one of my friends (owns a 12 Bore but no expert) warned me that I should not use this ammo in the choke barrel as it would burst the barrel.
I have bought a second hand DBBL 'Indian BSA 30" barrel' and my question now, is that...
1. Is this true? (Although, I presume that if it was so, the box/ cartridge should have a warning to this effect.
2. How does one identify the choke barrel as visually and by using a scale I am unable to identify any difference?? (Without proper measuring instruments,)

Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 12 BORE RIFLE SLUG

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:15 am

While I can not speak for Shaktiman cartridges, rifled shotgun slugs are made to be used in choked as well as choke-less barrels. They usually give better accuracy in barrels with less choke. The caution not to use in chocked barrels applied to the old full-diameter round ball ammunition. And older shotguns. SxS shotguns have lesser, or no choke in the right (front trigger) barrel, and tighter choke in the left (rear trigger) barrel. In O/Us it would be the lower and upper barrel, respectively.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks TwoRivers, I will try out the rlfle slugs today. But as you mention that you do not know about 'Shaktiman' I will try to take some precautions like industrial gloves and protective eye glasses and shoot out 10 to 15 rounds through both barrels.
Hope nothing goes wrong, but then what the heck, I bought it for only Rs 12,500 so even if it gets damaged it I can get a new one. Besides it would be a good learning experience either way.

Regards

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Shaktiman slugs are not rifled. The caution they issue is to ensure that the gun is chambered for 2, 3/4" (70mm) cartridges.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Roland
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Roland » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:09 pm

Remove the slug from a cartridge and see if it passes through the barrel you are using it in.
Better be safe then sorry!
Just my thoughts though.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Vikram, I do not have any details of the 12 bore that I own, since it is a second hand one that I freaked out on considering the looks, condition and cost.
Today I have managed to procure heavy duty industrial gloves and protective eye glasses. Also, after buying this gun at the end of last month I have fired about a 100 rounds and all of them were 70 mm cartridges.
Now like I said I will try out the slugs no matter what, considering that even if I ruin my gun worth Rs 12,500 it would be a good learning experience
Let's hope for the best. I am heading towards the terrace to try at least 4 rounds now.

Regards

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:17 pm

Roland, on your suggestion the plan is postponed till I check as suggested by you.

Regards

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:50 pm

Roland, I have removed the slug. It is a solid lead cylinder about 1.5 cm in length and a smaller diameter half a ball sticking out of it in the front. The cylinder has 12 rifle type deep groves on it.
This slug is smaller than the bore of both barrels and slides through both of them easily.
Thanks to you I am heading towards the terrace again but without the gloves etc.
Will get back to you guys soon.

Regards

airguns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by airguns » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:14 am

aadhaulya wrote:Roland, I have removed the slug. It is a solid lead cylinder about 1.5 cm in length and a smaller diameter half a ball sticking out of it in the front. The cylinder has 12 rifle type deep groves on it.
This slug is smaller than the bore of both barrels and slides through both of them easily.
Thanks to you I am heading towards the terrace again but without the gloves etc.
Will get back to you guys soon.

Regards
This type of slugs are always smaller than the bore, the base expands somewhat for a better seal. Should easily fire through a full choke. Most bulges around the choke area are not caused by slugs but by mud etc. lodged in the muzzle or by cleaning wads, carelessly left at the muzzle.
Best bet is to use one barrel only and get used to the point of impact at various ranges. The barrels of even the best double barrel guns don't shoot at the same POI at all ranges, Indians made guns such as the Bharat Small arms, amongst others are not tested or regulated for POI at manufacture, therefore if using both barrels you could be shooting in extreme cases a few feet apart at 50 yards.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:38 am

No more posting from my side, at nights. I am quite sure that I wrote about my firing experience last night but today I cannot find the post. Most probably at that time I was sozzled enough and posted in some other thread or may be I did it in my dream.
Well, I shot off 4 rounds through each barrel with no issues at all. But I think that the noise level was very high. Maybe more than the 30.06 shot also. However, the slug cartridge seems to be quite powerful, as firing from 20 mts (Max available on my terrace with a wall on the other end) I was showered with plaster of the wall on every shot.

@Airguns, Your suggestion about POI is very good, but as I am very new to this world of guns. I will not come to know, if the point of impact is different if it is due to the accuracy of the gun or my aim..

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:48 pm

I was showered with plaster of the wall on every shot
How about using few large sacks full of sand or mud to "absorb" the slug instead of hitting the wall. Also if the slug or bullet ricochets from wall, it can be fatal.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Please do not take it personally but the original post was removed because there were just so many unsafe practices involved with firing a gun in such fashion.

1. As GBM correctly pointed out, the danger of the slug when fired against a hard surface such as a concrete wall at such close quarters can ricochet and maim or kill you or any bystander. Even if the slug disintegrates, the shrapnel can still be very dangerous.

2. Discharging a gun without ear protection is not advisable as the damage to hearing is high and lasting. That risk is exacerbated when discharged in closed confines.

3. Whether the licensing authorities are aware or not, firing guns closer to living quarters is in the legal grey zone, if not illegal.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:16 pm

@GBM & Vikram,
Your suggestions are well taken.
I intend using two 1" boards separated by buy about 9" filled with sand and placed about 6" from the wall. This should stop the bullet and in case of ricochet it still would not travel through the barrier. (even a 30.06)
Kindly advise if my thinking is correct, then I would have it ready tomorrow.
@Vikram, after buying three weapons and huge amount of ammunition I really do not afford to buy 'ear protection'. As per various web sites the minimum cost is Rs 2500
Regards

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:12 pm

Simple ear plugs are available for Rs 35 only on eBay.in
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:17 pm

@Vineet, are they the same as the swimming ear plugs, or are the specifically for shooting?
I will try to find them on ebay, but please remember i am computer challenged.
Regards