Best sharpening systems or stones

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Best sharpening systems or stones

Post by estousandy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:19 pm

Will give it a shot then.

My need is to keep three different kinds of blades in usable condition. A machete, knife & an axe, with different angle requirements. This particular item seems to work on all these with just a few strokes.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

For Advertising mail webmaster
Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 am

Hey estousandy ....... go for accusharp and also post pics of accusharp when you get it....
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:55 am

Take a look at the Wicked Edge Pro system https://www.wickededgeusa.com/

It sure takes the guess work out of figuring the angles. Leaves you with an awesome edge!! awesome

There are several systems out there, and collecting and using sharpening systems is as much fun as collecting blades IMHO :D

Regards,
Pistolero
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:21 am

anonymusneo wrote:
Raghvendrasingh wrote:Hi anonymousneo
You must ask for cumi carborundum stone . But at hardware store you just ask for the stone used by carpenter for sharpening their chisels and other wood working tools. In above every stone is under Rs. 200. So try some....bro
then i got the one that was available as, carborundum stone in red package .

i already have a 10000 grit natural whet stone but i need the in between ones :)
anonymousneo,

AO Smith makes the "TRI-6 - 6" Three Stone Sharpening System"

The three stones are:
Medium Arkansas - 600 Grit
Fine Arkansas - 1,000 Grit
Coarse Synthetic

This is what I use and it works pretty well.
It is available from Amazon for about $24.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:16 am

Like XL, my set is Smith's, too.

I've had mine for a long time. These used to be sold at any outdoors shop, but now they are called "vintage" on ebay!

In addition, I have a little "black hard" Arkansas stone, which is quite smooth and suitable for razors.

Finally, I have thin triangular and square stones for use on triggers and sears.

I think any good Arkansas knife sharpening set should work well, but I don't know what would be available in India. The stones in my set are only called "soft" and "hard" without a grit measurement. These can put a fine edge on a blade, but when the knife gets mor than 120mm - 150mm long it take a lot of work with stones this small.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:31 am

The only stones readily available here are the aforementioned carborundum ones. For all the others, you need to hit Amazon, eBay, knifecenter, etc.

The lack of a knife / outdoors culture tells very sadly!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:41 am

@essdee, picked up a carborundum stone from a hardware store. It is easy to sharpen the edge using this. Took about 10mins to go from dull to sharp. With a little bit of stroping the knife was sharp enough for most jobs. For the price, this is a fairly good deal.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:00 pm

kshitij wrote:@essdee, picked up a carborundum stone from a hardware store. It is easy to sharpen the edge using this. Took about 10mins to go from dull to sharp. With a little bit of stroping the knife was sharp enough for most jobs. For the price, this is a fairly good deal.
Hey that's great :D
Any particular "Brand" & cost please!
Briha

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:06 pm

Brihaji, it is the same carborundum branded stone. It comes in a red box. Was dirt cheap, some 220 odd bucks for an approx 1.5x6 inch stone. The stone grit is in between 400 to 600 if i am not wrong.
So ideally, you would need this stone plus 1200 grit sand paper and a good old pure leather belt to keep your knives razor sharp...
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:11 pm

kshitij wrote:Brihaji, it is the same carborundum branded stone. It comes in a red box. Was dirt cheap, some 220 odd bucks for an approx 1.5x6 inch stone. The stone grit is in between 400 to 600 if i am not wrong.
So ideally, you would need this stone plus 1200 grit sand paper and a good old pure leather belt to keep your knives razor sharp...
Thanks Bro :D
Briha

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:03 am

kshitij wrote:Brihaji, it is the same carborundum branded stone. It comes in a red box. Was dirt cheap, some 220 odd bucks for an approx 1.5x6 inch stone. The stone grit is in between 400 to 600 if i am not wrong.
You have to be careful... Lower grit aggressively removes metal, and you may re-profile the edge or damage it. The best idea, in absence of quality sharpeners, is to paste a high grit sandpaper to a flat surface, say 8x3 wooden plank, and use it for sharpening. 800 or 1000 grit is good enough.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:07 am

@choombak, i have to normally put an edge on something that has no edge what so ever. Hence the lower grit stone is useful. To give the final sharpness i use 1200 to 2000 grit sand paper only.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:51 pm

pistolero wrote:Take a look at the Wicked Edge Pro system https://www.wickededgeusa.com/

It sure takes the guess work out of figuring the angles. Leaves you with an awesome edge!! awesome

There are several systems out there, and collecting and using sharpening systems is as much fun as collecting blades IMHO :D

Regards,
Pistolero
Pistolero, since you've used Edge Pro and Wicked Edge which do you find better.

Thanks
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:15 am

@ essdee sir... junglee.com is also providing many quality sharpening stones like smiths tri hone and a lot more through ibhejo.com. I dont have a credit card so i cant buy from international sellers. Please give your suggestion....

@ moin sir.... i want to buy lansky deluxe 5 stone kit, as you had used it... what is you opinion and advice to me???
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:57 am

Raghavendra, you mentioned earlier that you are not really keen on keeping a perfect angle on the blades. In which case, the carborundum will work for you. In fact my axes, machetes and EDCs are all done free hand. It's only the "showpieces" which get the Spyderco / Lansky treatment! As I grow, I learn!!!

If possible, get a stone like the Spyderco medium stone (grey) just to fine tune the free hand sharpening, esp for knives. Or you can do it on sandpaper (upto 800 is sufficient). My sincere advice would be not to spend the money on a Spyderco or Lansky unless you have at least 5 very good (say 30 USD and above) knives. Don't repeat my mistake!!

Moreover, if you are trekking or something, you can easily carry a stone in your pocket or pack and use it whenever you feel the need. Carrying a Spyderco or Lansky would also be easy, but setting up the whole shindig in the backwoods might pose a problem!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley