Best sharpening systems or stones

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Best sharpening systems or stones

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:16 pm

Hey everyone
I wanna ask to every IFGian that which sharpening system or stone is best for curved/recurved blades and straight blades. Where can I buy one????

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Best sharpening systems or stones

Post by kshitij » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:58 am

Hi,
I am an absolute newbie when it comes to knives and there are better guys here to advice you. But i will share what i use anyways :)
The easiest tool to use to sharpen your knives is sand paper. Pick up some good quality 3M sandpaper/polish paper from any shop that supplies automotive paints and accessories. Get atleast one sheet of 200, 400, 800, 1200 and 2000. Depending on the kind of edge that the knife has choose the lowest grit and work your way up.
The knives i bought basically came with a flat edge, so i started right from 200 and went upto 2000. By the time i was done, the knife had a razor sharp edge. You will find tons of videos detailing how to sharpen using sandpaper on youtube.
Only down side is, as compared to a whetstone, this is a more expensive proposition if you have to regularly sharpen your knives as the papers wear out quickly.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks kshitij for your valuable information. ..I m also new in this hobby....... still learning bro......

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Confession time.......

I can't sharpen on sandpaper or whetstone. It just doesn't happen for me. And after trying on 4-5 knives, I am scared of the elbow grease it takes me on the sharpening systems to get the edge back.

I do the machete on a whetstone, but just can't achieve the shaving sharpness with free hand sharpening. Machetes don't need to be razor sharp, anyway!

I do have a couple of systems - Lansky and Spyderco Triangle. Both are good enough and give me shaving sharpness whenever I want. As far as choosing between the two goes, it depends on how you prefer the hand movements during sharpening to go. I have now gotten used to both. The Spyderco was ordered from Amazon (or eBay, I forgot). The Lansky was from knifecenter. Both should be in the range of INR 4-5K or so. If ordering the Spydie, add the diamond stones - you'll need them sometime, and ordering together, you'll save on the shipping!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:57 pm

I use these stones and rods to sharpen my knives and kukris.......
In first picture...local stones
2nd picture....smith's pocket pal 1 & retractable rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

anonymusneo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anonymusneo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:48 am

what stones do i ask for localy? i have no idea

i only know whetstones which are not cheap .

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:12 am

Hi anonymousneo
You must ask for cumi carborundum stone . But at hardware store you just ask for the stone used by carpenter for sharpening their chisels and other wood working tools. In above every stone is under Rs. 200. So try some....bro

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:33 am

Neo, in Hindi you would say "dhaar karne wala patthar". Look for the Carborundum branding, Raghvendra's pics have it very clear.

There are also Chinese copies of the famous Fallkniven diamond stones available. I got one - for 25 INR. And it behaved just like you expect a PRC product to behave - the metal sheet covered with the shiny crystals (diamonds??) came off from the plastic backing with the first stroke of my leather cutting awl! Subsequently glued it together with Fevicol All Fix, and it did a good job on the awl. I sharpen the awl freehand as I don't really care about maintaining and angle and so on with it. For knives, it is the Spydie or Lansky.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi essdee sir
If we had cared to maintain the angle then we would not have learnt free hand sharpening. In starting I saw many videos then tried on kitchen knives many times. Now I am able to sharpen my knives.

anonymusneo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anonymusneo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Raghvendrasingh wrote:Hi anonymousneo
You must ask for cumi carborundum stone . But at hardware store you just ask for the stone used by carpenter for sharpening their chisels and other wood working tools. In above every stone is under Rs. 200. So try some....bro
then i got the one that was available as, carborundum stone in red package .

i already have a 10000 grit natural whet stone but i need the in between ones :)

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Hey anonymusneo sir ......... please post some pics of your sharpening stones....... I m also in search of good honing stone or rod .....so please give some suggestions.

Motorpsycho
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Motorpsycho » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:09 pm

To maintain an accurate angle and sharpen to a razor edge , for a noob like me , the Lansky universal is the safest bet. I have seen pros on you tube use it sharpen blades.

anonymusneo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anonymusneo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:02 pm

honestly for khukri or bigger blades then 2 feet you dont need razor sharp edge
thats why it was never given much importance in india.
they used to sharpen on any given stone , and maintain that edge when ever they had time.

coming back to topic, yes i will post picture soon , but i dont have much in my repository

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:23 pm

What about Accusharp? http://www.accusharp.com/

They claim it to be a fix to "stone" age. Is it worth the 10$?

I'm planning to try one since it's available in India at a bit more.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi estousandy
I haven't used accusharp but you can try because they make quality stuff in my opinion. There are other good sharpeners like smith's pocket pal 1 & smith's retractable rod. There are many options available in india. But the main thing is your need.