IOF finally develops AK-47 variant

Posts related to rifles.
pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

IOF finally develops AK-47 variant

Post by pran80 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:43 am

Dear IFGians,

just now saw the below news article on IOF finally developing AK-47 variant. The article says that INSAS is going out of production, then why is IOF still interested in making cosmetic changes to the same?
The link to the article is as below-
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 635112.cms

Thanks and regards,
PRanjal

For Advertising mail webmaster
ARAE
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: IOF finally develops AK-47 variant

Post by ARAE » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:44 am

:clap: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :clap:
pran80 wrote:Dear IFGians,

just now saw the below news article on IOF finally developing AK-47 variant. The article says that INSAS is going out of production, then why is IOF still interested in making cosmetic changes to the same?
The link to the article is as below-
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 635112.cms

Thanks and regards,
PRanjal
ARAE

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:02 am

Arent they already making a variant of the AK47?
Screenshot_2014-10-08-09-59-59.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:24 am

How to believe this news item? The photo in the news article is a Heckler and Koch 9 mm labelled as AK 47. This is like announcing someone's wedding with the picture of a jackass instead of the bride. Unfortunately this is the quality of defence reporting in India.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:01 pm

What's so great about duplicating an almost 70 year old technology? And a bunch of guys with Ph.D.s are unable to replicate properly what one injured Sergeant in the Soviet Army thought of on his sickbed? What were the qualifications for Sergeants in the Red Army, anyway?
using the AK-47 as a model but without replicating any of its mechanism.
What's that supposed to mean? A smoothbore musket which looks like an AK47?
The Ishapore factory has a long history of developing and making rifles. During the World Wars, this factory produced .303 bolt-action rifles for the Allied forces. After the 1962 Sino-India conflict, the factory developed and built the 7.62mm self-loading semi-automatic rifle.
Sorry? Did someone mention development????? The first one was a late-19th century Lee Enfield design. The famous SMLE. The second was a copy of the equally famous Belgian FN-FAL. Where does the "developing" part come in? I use a Xerox machine to copy Shakespeare's works, and I am suddenly a great writer???
it failed to operate successfully in mud.
Which is what the AK47 is famous for!
The new order will sustain the factory for the times to come
Now you come to the actual reason for wasting my tax money, Mr. Official!! To keep a few incompetent sarkari karmcharis employed......

Forgive me if I greet this news with a big YAAAWWWNNNN!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:07 pm

Iof is manufacturing ak 47 variant from quite some time. Most of the ak's we see with the police are made by the iof.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by pran80 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:37 pm

Dear Essdee,

I did not post the link cos I was proud of IOFs achievement. It was just out of curiosity as to why they are still trying to copy an old design while simultaneously working on the INSAS(at least that's what I gather from INSAS topic on this forum).
Would be interesting to know the pricing of this AK-47 variant though.
Vineet I did not knew that IOF had been making AK-47 variant, could be that the news has been republished?
Thanks,
Pranjal

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:38 pm

I really hope India uses something like a 6.5 calibre cartridge which is light but heavy enough and has a flatter,longer trajectory and has enough energy to punch through.IMO, a great compromise between the 5.56 and the 7.62 NATO cartridges.And the rifle built on the FN-SCAR platform.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:59 pm

All news portals are compromised and paid for by someone. This news is really surprising because after the rejection of the Trichy assault rifle there was news of 3-4 foreign assault rifles in the competition. Now suddenly they say some Indian design has won.

If I recall right the requirements were changeable barrels for 5.56, 6.5 and 7.62, leftt handed/right handed shooting, Picatinny rails, reliability and to be manufactured in India

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:32 pm

The weapon shown in the article is a Heckler & Koch MP 5 SMG.
The AK's in use in India are procured from eastern block countries, not even from russia.
(intresting read : http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/why- ... 33532.html)

There is nothing known as "Development" in any Indian Ordinance Factories. Even the hotch potch attempt that they produce is a poor mix of 100 parts from 200 different rifles which take 20 years in finalizing, that eventually get rejected by the security forces, but is thrust on them in the name of Indigenisation.
And as Murphy's Law States... "Remember your gun is made by the Lowest bidder"
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:38 pm

Many German and Italian arms manufacturers had approached the Indian Government with proposals to manufacture their weapons in India with Indian labour, well to some extent atleast. :) They declined their proposals over and over again. I am sure we all appreciate swadeyshe, only they should do it under tight quality control :?
Last edited by farook on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

dheeraj_1772
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dheeraj_1772 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:17 pm

Dear sirs,
this venture was done by the IOF way back in 2003-2004, and the test weapons were issued to the Indian Army as well as Border Security Force for testings and reporting. the design part was properly replicated with some modifications in inner parts and safety shear. Rifle was good in looks but not in firing. Finally they were taken back and since then now the news of this product is heard at this forum.
Anyway at that time I was also serving in BSF and used that weapons, that's why i commented here.
Thanks for info.

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:01 pm

What about the MCIWS then? That was the one satisfying the laid out GSQR & it was coming out OK as per last reports.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:41 am

dheeraj_1772 wrote:Dear sirs,
this venture was done by the IOF way back in 2003-2004, and the test weapons were issued to the Indian Army as well as Border Security Force for testings and reporting. the design part was properly replicated with some modifications in inner parts and safety shear. Rifle was good in looks but not in firing. Finally they were taken back and since then now the news of this product is heard at this forum.
Anyway at that time I was also serving in BSF and used that weapons, that's why i commented here.
Thanks for info.
Thanks for the first hand information on the use of the rifle, dheeraj.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:59 am

Don't know if this is true, but here is an image of the new rifle with "made in India" marked on it
http://www.indiatomorrow.co/images/Jaga ... /AK-47.jpg
EDITED: I read on another forum that this is a generic image and is fake.