enquiry about gun licence

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
rvn_venky
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

enquiry about gun licence

Post by rvn_venky » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:33 am

HI All,

Just came to know about this forum thru a google search and joined it. Happy to know that there is such a forum in India. I happen to be a software engg.

I have a question for all the members in this forum.-

I have read some of the posts in these forums and most of the members seem to have contacts with politicians /police top brass.
1. So If I have a budget around Rs. 1 lakhs and absolutely no contacts, Is there no hope to getting a licence + gun (.32 IOFB revolver ~ 45k ) and the rest of money for hiring a lawyer to help me with licence acquisition.

2. After getting the licence+gun by using legal methods, Will I be harrassed by police thru-out the tenure of the licence (forcing me to bribe the cops for 1 reason or another)

I currently happen to be a resident of hyderabad / permanent residence -bangalore.

Can this respected forum help me in any way. Also IF this Qn has been answered in some other forum thread..my apologies..kindly point me to the correct thread..

Pl. guide.

Thx for yr time.

*** Post mildly edited - Moderator's Note: - While corruption may be a fact of life in India, it is still ILLEGAL to offer or accept bribes and IFG DOES NOT condone or tolerate any ILLEGAL activity! Please keep this in mind while making posts in the future ***

For Advertising mail webmaster
sudhakardm
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: enquiry about gun licence

Post by sudhakardm » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:07 am

Mr. Venky

Dont try to manipulate or back door approach for a license. It is serious offense. Secondly dont mention about it in the forum again. This is my sincier advice. Try for a license thru proper channel.

Good luck.
Sudhakar

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:34 pm

Hello Venky,

Unless there is a specific written prohibition in your area (usually by the MHA), there is no really no reason why you shouldn't be able to get hold of a license through proper means. This is really no "high-connection" affair its pretty straight forward. If there is a shooters association where you are (Hyderaband and Bangalore stand out in a rich shooting heritage) joining it would help would help your cause immensely. A budget of 1 lakh is pretty healthy for the purchase of an IOF Handgun.

As to why you would need a lawyer for this is somewhat odd...that is unless if you have a bunch of omelette-head babus like we do this end of the country.

Regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:21 pm

cottage chese";p="21844 wrote:As to why you would need a lawyer for this is somewhat odd...that is unless if you have a bunch of omelette-head babus like we do this end of the country.
CC - the lawyer reference was put in by me, the sentence meant something completely different before I did that... hence my edit and the reference to my making the post a tad "milder"...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:05 pm

mundaire";p="21846 wrote:
cottage chese";p="21844 wrote:As to why you would need a lawyer for this is somewhat odd...that is unless if you have a bunch of omelette-head babus like we do this end of the country.
CC - the lawyer reference was put in by me, the sentence meant something completely different before I did that... hence my edit and the reference to my making the post a tad "milder"...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Accha.... my error... :)

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:28 am

Venky,

If you are a law abiding citizen and want to own a gun, there is no reason why you shouldn;t be able to get one in India. Though the laws are restrictive, they still allow ownership of guns and there is no reason why you should not be able to get a license. As has been rightly suggested, get a lawyer to do the paoerwork because they are better aware of the rules and regulations and they could also do a better job of using legalese in the application process. Technically speaking, if an application is rejected, the police are supposed to give a letter in writing indicating the reason for the rejection of your license. They usually don't do this to direct applicants but cannot refuse this if a lawyer demands that they act as per the rules. And then your laawyer could file for this refusal to be overtunrned.

No, you will not be harassed as a gun owner - you do need to make sure that you break no law though and that you follow all safety precautions etc. And you also need to deposit the guns with the police or with a dealer whenever required by law. Also, as has been very clearly told, do NOT pay or offer any bribes etc. You do not need to. Those who do things like this give all honest gun owners a bad name and also spoil the process of getting licenses for future gun owners, making all future applicants suspect as potential bribe givers.

Good luck with your application and do let us know what happens after you apply.

rvn_venky
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rvn_venky » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:50 am

Thx for the quick reply and sorry about the reference to bribes..I just wanted to be open/direct in my Qn.. So can anyone provide the details of hyderabad/bangalore shooters association and I can approach them for help.

Thanks
Rahul

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:16 pm

rvn_venky";p="21890 wrote: So can anyone provide the details of hyderabad/bangalore shooters association and I can approach them for help.

click forum index.
scroll down the forum page.
click shooting associations in india.
click karnataka shooting association.
or, look at the search link on your left hand side. fill karnataka shooting association in the blank. click go.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:33 pm

rvn_venky";p="21827 wrote:I have read some of the posts in these forums and most of the members seem to have contacts with politicians /police top brass.
I am not sure how you have come to this opinion as there is barely a post on this forum that I haven't read and the thought that MOST of us are 'connected' is novel, to say the least.

I am from Bangalore and I did not have to pull any strings or pay a bribe whilst applying for both a rifle and shotgun licence. Neither did I need a lawyer.

The next time you are in Bangalore, you could come over and I could show you how to fill the form and explain the process.

Mack The Knife

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:22 pm

Venky,
Here's an interesting article :lol: Guess someone had posted this sometime back on the forum

Want a double-barrel gun licence? Get yourself and two other persons sterilised!

India’s most populous state, Uttar Pradesh, targets population control with gun licences! With there being many more takers for gun licences than sterilisation procedures, local officials in the state float a highly-questionable scheme offering one for the other

Establishing a link between a gun licence and population control involves some pretty fancy mental gymnastics. Unless of course one were thinking ‘murder’. But the government of Uttar Pradesh, India’s most populous state, seems to be having little difficulty. District magistrates are offering gun licences (much in demand in Uttar Pradesh) to male citizens who go in for sterilisation.

Not surprisingly, this highly questionable scheme has already run into trouble, something India’s much-touted and largely unsuccessful population control programme can do without. With incentives increasing if you convince more people to go in for the procedure, there have been reports of coercion.

Less than a month ago, a first information report (FIR) was registered against Avtar Singh, a farmer in Lakhimpur Kheri, who allegedly got five of his labourers (one of them a bachelor) forcibly sterilised when he was offered a revolver licence in exchange by district magistrate S B S Solanki.

According to the FIR, Singh “abducted” the five labourers, drugged them and got them sterilised at a district primary health centre. The victims later went to the police. “There have been no arrests yet. Perhaps the sterilisation can be reversed,” says Lakhimpur Kheri’s superintendent of police, P N R Padamja.

Ironically, the very same magistrate is now probing the case!

The incident, however, has not deterred Bareilly’s district magistrate Dr Moolchand Yadav. “Any person who opts for sterilisation will be given topmost priority in the granting of a gun licence,” he says. “We have done this as almost each application that comes to my office is for a gun licence. The family planning programme is lagging behind,” Yadav explains.

For the interested, Yadav has even framed a set of guidelines. “If you want a licence for a single-barrel gun, you must get yourself sterilised, plus get one more person (sterilised). For a double-barrel gun, the applicant must bring two persons. For a rifle, the applicant should get three persons, and for a revolver there should be four other than the licence-seeker.” Armed with his ‘action’ plan, Yadav is confident of meeting his district’s sterilisation target.

Other district magistrates in the state claim they have not taken up the scheme. “We only carry out sterilisation programmes with persuasion and education. There is no incentive involved,” says the district magistrate of Unnao district, Anil Kumar Sagar, who says he has over 1 lakh pending applications for gun licences.

Source: The Indian Express, August 23, 2004

http://www.infochangeindia.org/archives ... 4&detail=T
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:53 am

Pran, I did mention this in the 'Armed and Friendly' interview by TOI. Thanks for the further reference
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

ECHOFIGHTER
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ECHOFIGHTER » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Esteemed IFGians, i have an AIV(less J and K), (originally issued for TN and later extended to AIV(less J and K)) for a '12 bore shotgun, which expires in july 2012.I have the following queries:
1. How many days in advance can i apply for renewal?
2. I reside in Ahmedabad, Gujarat - Can i apply to Commissioner's Office, Ahmedabad for renewal?
3. Will they Revoke the AIV status?
4. Can they chose not to renew my licence?

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:07 pm

For questions 1 and 2 please refer Rule 54 of Arms Rules 1962.
3. Why do you feel they would revoke AIV of license? Have you violated any provision of Section 14 or 17 of Arms Act 1959?
4. Same as 3. If they choose to revoke or not renew, you may have to fight it in courts.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi Mack the knife,

I do think a lawyer is required (and I talk from my personal experience as RK Laxman's common man, read: no contact in 'high profile' or for that matter medium profile people). Usually (in delhi) the license gets rejected in the first go at the licensing authority. One should appeal to the LG office (for which I would suggest a lawyer) and the chances go up significantly. I await my appeal to be heard in April. Needless to say, its a personal experience for a sports category license that I had applied. It could very well be different for self defence purposes.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:32 am

ECHOFIGHTER wrote: 1. How many days in advance can i apply for renewal?
You can apply one month in advance.
Also you have one month grace period. For example, if your license expires on 1st of July then you can apply for renewal in anywhere between 1st June to 31st July. After that you will have to pay late fees.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.