New Delhi Zoo

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
Amarpreet
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

New Delhi Zoo

Post by Amarpreet » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Using a basic Nikon point & shoot in the Delhi zoo.
jaguar.jpg
Lioness.jpg
gibbon.jpg
jackals.jpg
swimming_hippo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: New Delhi Zoo

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:07 pm

Great pics Amarpreet - especially considering that you've used a "Point & Shoot" camera :clap:
With your eye for composition the next step should be to go in for an upgraded camera model & keep shooting :D
:cheers:
Briha

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks for the pics. An unrelated question, does anyone think that the jackal and the coyote are the same thing.
They look very similar.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:12 pm

Lovely photographs.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:16 am

dev wrote:Thanks for the pics. An unrelated question, does anyone think that the jackal and the coyote are the same thing.
They look very similar.
Regards,
Dev
Difference between Jackal and Coyote
(Images & text courtesy www.differencebetween.com › Science & Nature)

Fox / Jackal and Coyote are closely related carnivorous mammals of the same genus. It is very easy to get confused between them.
Fox / Jackal
•They are medium to small in built and commonly found in Asia & Africa.
•There are about 37 species of foxes / jackals.
•They have a long and narrow snout, pointed ears, beautiful and hairy coat, and a brush-like tail.
•Usually, they hunt their prey by group hunting.

Coyote
•Coyote is an American jackal or prairie wolf is found throughout north and Central America.
•There are 19 recognized subspecies. The color of their coat varies from grey/brown to yellowish-grey, but the throat, belly, and undersides are whiter-pale in color.
•In addition, their forelegs, side of the head, muzzle, and paw are reddish in color.
•The tip of the tail is black, and they have their scent gland located at the dorsal base. Usually, coyotes shed their fur once a year, which starts in May and ends in July.
•Their ears are proportionally larger than the head. However, their feet are relatively smaller than the rest of the body.
•They stay as large groups and hunt in pairs. These territorial animals are primarily active in the night, but sometimes they are diurnal, as well.

JACKAL

COYOTE

Briha
Last edited by brihacharan on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:52 am

Cool pics! That close up of the jaguar is lovely! What zoom did you use?

A question - doesn't Delhi Zoo have wiremesh? (sorry, last time I went was in 1981). In Mumbai, the wiremesh gets in the way unless you have a manual focus option. But of course, Mumbai zoo is a travesty, or a tragedy!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Great pictures Amarpreet I have not been to the Delhi Zoo for a long time must make it a point to visit at the earliest thanks for sharing regards
N

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:50 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Cool pics! That close up of the jaguar is lovely! What zoom did you use?

A question - doesn't Delhi Zoo have wiremesh? (sorry, last time I went was in 1981). In Mumbai, the wire mesh gets in the way unless you have a manual focus option. But of course, Mumbai zoo is a travesty, or a tragedy!
What zoom did you use?
essdee,
> See the post - Clearly says that the camera used was a "Nikon - Point & Shoot" model :deadhorse:
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Brihaji, P&S models range from 4X to 10X nowadays. Even the 20-50X megazooms can also be termed P&S (not being proper SLRs). That Jag pic looks more than 4X (unless Amarpreet went real close to an Amazonian wildcat!). Hence my Q.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:48 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Brihaji, P&S models range from 4X to 10X nowadays. Even the 20-50X megazooms can also be termed P&S (not being proper SLRs). That Jag pic looks more than 4X (unless Amarpreet went real close to an Amazonian wildcat!). Hence my Q.
essdee,
> Point noted & conceded :stupid:
Briha

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Thanks Briha SIR
Please add the credits for the pics if they aren't your own, plus for the text.

Regards,

Devjyoti
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Amarpreet
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Amarpreet » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks for the comments & the appreciation. Sorry for the late reply. The camera used was a Nikon Coolpix L100. I call it a P&S because it has presets and no option to manually select shutter speed or aperture. It's the best I could find for a budget of around 12K. I have almost given up using my 35mm film camera as very few places will do a D&P job for you these days.
Essdee, you are correct on both counts. I had to zoom in for the pic and there is indeed a wire mesh around the jaguar enclosure.
I have found the zoo to be a perfect place to try out a new camera. One can capture portraits, animals, try low light photography in the reptile house etc.

chucky
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by chucky » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Amarpreet wrote:Using a basic Nikon point & shoot in the Delhi zoo.
jaguar.jpg
Lioness.jpg
gibbon.jpg
jackals.jpg
swimming_hippo.jpg

Whats deviantart.com?

Amarpreet
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Amarpreet » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:56 pm

Its a website that lets you share art with fellow members. You can upload pics, sketches, poetry etc.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

chucky
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by chucky » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:48 pm

Very Nice, Thank you.