A new Rimfire cartridge

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: A new Rimfire cartridge

Post by xl_target » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:09 am

Oggie,
To be frank, I haven't looked really hard for this caliber on the shelves of my local gun store.
However, I have not seen either the ammunition or firearms available for this caliber at any of the stores that I have been to.

I believe Savage is the only company making rifles for this caliber. If we get a few more companies making the ammo and the rifles, it has a chance to catch on.
I haven't see any information in the firearms press lately about it either. I'd hate to buy a rifle now and not be able to purchase any ammo in a few years time.

Like you, I have been considering a .22 Mag firearm for the present. If in the future, if caliber becomes more prevalent, I might consider a new rifle.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:44 am

What I don`t understand is why Winchester didn`t develop a .22 rimfire based on the .27 nailgun cartridgeinstead of the .17. A .22 rimfire with more energy/velocity than a .22 WMR makes more sense to me than a .17 as it would be more versatile with heavier bullets. I guess Winchester wanted the publicity associated with `fastest ever rimfire` etc. I know of no other manufacturers planning a .17WSM rifle and, until Savage have sorted-out the problems that the B-Mag seems to be plagued with at the moment, it is best to leave it alone I think.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:20 am

I'd wait until someone else comes out with that chambering. That Savage rifle is too damn ugly to be seen with. For handloaders the .17 Hornet would be the ticket, imo. No sight of rifle or ammo yet.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:46 am

It IS ugly isn`t it ?
And that bolt looks to be a masterpiece of style over ergonomics ........
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:02 am

It's all about "branding". Make it somehow distinctive. They have succeeded.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:15 am

lol. Yes, they`ve definitely succeeded in making it distinctively ugly.
( Terry Pratchett )