Can you please identify this shotgun?

Posts related to shotguns.
Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Can you please identify this shotgun?

Post by Kumarnishith » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:35 pm

My cousin is in market to fill up his single barrel shotgun licence when he came across a rather unusual gun. It's a single barrelled, smooth bore, 12 gauge bolt action shotgun. It belonged to an old retired government servent and now biting the dust in a gunhouse. Condition of the gun is good & since the owner of the gunhouse is a an old associate he has offered the gun at a fairly cheap price! I am posting few pics of the gun below..can you please identify the make, country of origin & probable year of manufacture to me!

Thanks in advance!

-Nishith

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Can you please identify this shotgun?

Post by Kumarnishith » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:56 pm

[imgImage][/img]

[imgImage[/img]

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:14 pm

i am not sure but is this japanese make of the world war times ?
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:31 pm

I did some research online....The Gun seems to be of Belgian origin!
The Lion & PV mark represents Smokeless powder proof of military rifles until 1903, thereafter indicates nitro proof for all types of arms.
similarly, the crown & ELG mark represents arms proved in conformity of German Proof Law of 1891. In now represents definitive black powder proof except for muzzle loaders.
12-70 I guess represents the gauge & cartridge case length.

Checkout the links given below:

http://www.shotguns.se/html/belgium.html

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

-Nishith

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:43 pm

yess ..just got the link ..its belgian ! :)

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:48 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

Hmm...it seems there is no doubt that it's of Belgian origin..Can it be used to safely fire SA 12 Bore 70mm Astram Cartridge (Smokeless) manufactured by Indian Ordinance factory?

-Nishith

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:05 pm

The gun is a French Chassepot military rifle converted/rebarreled to a shotgun in Belgium. It originally used a combustible cartridge, i.e. the French answer to the Prussian Dreyse "needle rifle". This was a fairly common practice beginning in the 1890s as black powder military rifles had become obsolete and were sold off in huge numbers. Most of them went to the colonial markets.
Unlikely to be chambered for 70mm/2 3/4" shells.

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:19 am

TwoRivers wrote:The gun is a French Chassepot military rifle converted/rebarreled to a shotgun in Belgium. It originally used a combustible cartridge, i.e. the French answer to the Prussian Dreyse "needle rifle". This was a fairly common practice beginning in the 1890s as black powder military rifles had become obsolete and were sold off in huge numbers. Most of them went to the colonial markets.
Unlikely to be chambered for 70mm/2 3/4" shells.

Sir,

12-70 mark is stamped on the barrel... Does that not mean that it can chamber 12 gauge 70mm cartridge? :cry:

-Nishith

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:29 am

Are you absolutely sure that the 12-70 doesn't mean the 12th month of 1870?

It sounds like you are going to try firing it with a 12 ga. cartridge no matter what any one says.

If you do, tie it to an old truck tire, run a long string from the trigger to your hiding place behind a rock or large tree. Point it out towards an open field or earth berm and pull the trigger. Better yet, have the guy who is trying to sell it to you pull the string. I mean, he should have no issue with that, he wouldn't be trying to sell you an unsafe gun, would he?

I sure wouldn't want to to be holding it if it blows up.

To be fair, it does seem to have a smokeless powder proof and the 12-70 with the oval around was used a gauge and chamber length indicator by the Belgians. However, I would still be leery of being the first one to try firing it.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:12 pm

I missed the 12-70 marking when I looked at the pics earlier, so apparently it is chambered for 70mm shells. XL has a point, but since the marking is on the barrel, which was fitted later, it is unlikely to be the production date of the action, with which it would coincide. But still, that gun originated in the 1860s. Unless the marking were ground off when is was converted to a shotgun, the manufacturing French arsenal should be marked on the left side of the receiver.

For identification of a gun, a good clear picture of the action, and manufacturers markings, if any, or national seals, are far more important than proof marks.

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:13 pm

TwoRivers wrote:I missed the 12-70 marking when I looked at the pics earlier, so apparently it is chambered for 70mm shells. XL has a point, but since the marking is on the barrel, which was fitted later, it is unlikely to be the production date of the action, with which it would coincide. But still, that gun originated in the 1860s. Unless the marking were ground off when is was converted to a shotgun, the manufacturing French arsenal should be marked on the left side of the receiver.

For identification of a gun, a good clear picture of the action, and manufacturers markings, if any, or national seals, are far more important than proof marks.

Sir,

Here's the picture of the marking on the action! I tried searching it on net but couldn't find similar identification mark. I am sure senior members would come forward & shed some light...

Image[/url][/img]

-Nishith

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:11 pm

HI NIshith,

Word of advice, give up on this gun.......this is not Nitro Proof, you are in trouble with today's carts. Astram, no way.
Unless you are the rare collector of antique.

There are plenty of English ones in the market, you can grab any good one, and if you want I can help you decipher english markings.

Cheers...

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:36 am

Actually the lion with the PV under it is a Belgium Nitro Proof but you do have a point.
Will it handle a steady diet of today's cartridges? I wouldn't want to be the one to find out that it wont.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:34 am

Thanks guys for the wonderful inputs..It's decided then it would be foolish to buy this gun & use it as a wall hanger. Will revert back as soon as I find another gun!

-Nishith