Air Pistol Grip Modification

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
bishu57
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Air Pistol Grip Modification

Post by bishu57 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Have been exploring options of how to better fit the grip of my AP to my hand and hence thought of bringing it to the forum.

I have read thru almost all the links available on the net and various other gun boards on the same and yet am not still clear about how to get this right. I have taken the shortcut also of ordering a Rink Grip which should be with me by end July but till then trying to better the fit on my original Steyr Grip.

I have re-discovered M-seal. It can be used as a filler on the Grip and can be sanded and filed to desired shape, (though its a dusty process removing the stuff, best done with a handkerchief tied over your face).

Taking tentative steps at the moment and proceeding slow to ensure that I do not make any major mistakes and spoil the Grip.

Any comments / Advise (preferably with some pics ) would be great

regards

Bishu57

For Advertising mail webmaster
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Air Pistol Grip Modification

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:19 am

Since it was problematic for me to find even 100 gm of saw dust, I used M-seal as filler to "raise" the square of the palm and the (front) finger areas. Note that M-seal increases the weight as it dries. I used 100gm of M-seal and with the original 1100 gm loaded weight of my FWB P34 but managed to stay within the 1500 gm max limit.

Alternative is sawdust mixed in Fevicol - much lighter than M-Seal. Good Luck.

regs
A.

bishu57
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by bishu57 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:46 am

:-) AgN, thats the same problem i faced of finding sawdust, i resorted to M-seal as could not figure out any other option. However on Amazon and the Rink side they have something called wood -putty which i have ordered. Will experiment and update. Will try to update pics of my M-sealed grip today / tomorrow for reference

regards

Bishu57

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:13 pm

Dear bishu57,
Wood putty is used by most but is hard to come by. Good for you that you found it on Amazon. Out here in MMR, the word itself is "foreign" to the hardware stores. That's a better option than (sawdust+fevicol) or M Seal.
regs
A.

bishu57
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by bishu57 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Dear AgN, do you shoot at the MRA range? If so would be nice to catch up sometime. I went today to fill up the form for the MAWC, Aurangabad.

bishu57
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by bishu57 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:13 pm

As promised here are some pics of the M-seal modified grip of mine

The white m-seal applied where the base of the thumb rests - this space used to have a gap when holding the grip and my hand used to move to the left on the grip
photo (1).JPG
Thickened area after adding the m-seal.
photo (3).JPG
Another view showing the width and area modified
photo.JPG
Amateur chequering of the surface of the m-seal with the serrated side of a butter knife :-)
photo (2).JPG

Latest update, have been shooting with the modified grip now for a week and the grip definitely feels and fits better

regards

Bishu57
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:18 pm

bishu57 wrote:Dear AgN, do you shoot at the MRA range? If so would be nice to catch up sometime. I went today to fill up the form for the MAWC, Aurangabad.
Dear bishu57, I prax at SVS but we can meet up the next time CMG meets. :-) Good luck for the RP Patwardhan. Been there last year; objective achieved. ;-) regs, A.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:34 am

Dear bishu,

I do not want to discourage you but please read my post below.

Re: Creating Grip for Steyr LP 10

Postby tirpassion » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:18 am
Dear Saptarshi,
please do not fiddle with the grip. Pls take my word. I had worked on, over worked on, destroyed 2 grips to understand that the best grip of Steyr is the original one :D . I am finally with my 3rd grip also on my Hämmerli AP40. I had seen your grip and we had also worked on the gripping yesterday. I would suggest you to stay there only. If needed, we will also see to it next Sunday. The grip is a very sensitive thing. It is only possible to make a match grip after years and years of experience. While waiting for that experience, please confide in the more experienced ones who made the grip or in the less experienced ones who learnt the harder way like tirpassion :D .

best regards
tirpassion
I am always of the same opinion/suggestion for newbies. When you start to modify your grip yourself, the most difficult thing is to STOP. When to stop and where to stop. It is because we do not have sufficient experience to understand where/when to stop. Please note also that even a millimeter of addition/removal of material from a strategic place will radically change the angle of the grip.
Be aware also that the Rink grip is lighter and will change the rake angle of your AP compared to the original grip. Both these factors will make your AP more nose heavy. I have 3 Rink grips (destroyed one and abandoned one) and I know what I am talking about. When you get the Rink grip in hand, please do not do any modification on it.

My final suggestion; please keep options open to get your original grip back to the ZERO position. You might find it necessary someday; who knows :D ?

best regards
tirpassion

bishu57
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by bishu57 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:12 pm

Dear Tirpassion

Before i started i read thru most of the posts that are online on IFG as well as others. I had also read your advise to saptarshi.
I still went ahead with the mod because i felt that it would help my grip. However have kept the option open to revert back to the original Zero position as it will be a simple matter of sanding down the m-seal right to the wood of the grip.

Have no intention of fiddling with the Rink grip when i get it.but thank you for the advise will keep in mind

regards

Bishu

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Dear bishu,

I gather from your posts that the motive of your grip modification was the question of 'comfort' because you talk of 'better fit of the grip'.

I sincerely hope that you know all what I will write in the following. However, a simple reminder will do no bad, I think :D .

The most important thing in grip/gripping is the regularity of gripping and in shooting position, the sights must align naturally. What is Natural Alignment position? Grip the weapon correctly. In shooting position, hold it against a white wall and align the sights with your wrist locked and the correct muscle tone. Lift the AP up, bring it down a few times and bring back to position. You should see the sights aligned perfectly; rather you must see the sights aligned perfectly. If not, each and every necessary modification (be it adjusting the dedicated screws in the frame, putting a piece of paper of desired thickness inside the grip to change the angle or finally the grip modification which is the last option because all other options are inapplicable) must be done to get the Sight Alignment naturally.

Now, having understood that you know and feel the contents of the above paragraph and having seen the pictures of your modified grip, I realize that in Natural Alignment position, your AP was pointing to the left (the front sight was on the left corner of the back sight notch in shooting position). So, you added the M seal on the left wall of the palm rest and got the Natural Alignment in order. Right??? If yes, did you order the Rink grip with a 7° angle? Otherwise, you will again find the same problem.

Please feel free to write back.

best regards
tirpassion

bishu57
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by bishu57 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:08 pm

:cheers:
Dear Tirpassion,

you got it absolutely dead on target :D .
Indeed when i used to pick up the gun with natural movement and checked alignment the sight used to be invariably to the left. Hence the m-seal to align it naturally.

I also double check it by holding against a blank white wall and also with holding against a target and closing eyes to check where my NPA goes . Post all these i did the modification.

Have ordered the Rink with the 7 degree tilt and also wrote to them explaining that i am left eye dominant and a right handed shooter..

While on the topic - i also have an issue of my front sight drooping slightly below the rear sight notches, hence just added a very thin (about 2 mm thick tape below the grip above the point where the middle finger rests - this made the notch come up and is now is perfect alignment.

Hopefully thats the last of the mods i needed to do to get everything right

regards, and thank you so much for taking time to respond and guide. Deeply appreciated

Bishu

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:01 pm

bishu57 wrote:Dear AgN, do you shoot at the MRA range? If so would be nice to catch up sometime. I went today to fill up the form for the MAWC, Aurangabad.
Dear bishu57,
Did you go to Aurangbad MAWC ? How did it go for you ? Objective achieved ? Also heard that on one night (Jul 6th, I think) the Deogiri Express slipped from the tracks - hope this mishap did not adversely affect you or any of our shooters ?
regs
A.

bishu57
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by bishu57 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Dear AgN,
Could not make it to Aurangabad this time, (work related matters) so gave it a miss. Was not aware of the Deogiri Express incident. Plus have not been able to make it to the MRA range this whole week so no update from the shooters too. Going tomorrow and day after , so will figure out news about the same.

regards

Bishu57

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:10 am

Dear bishu57,
Finally got around to taking and loading the pictures of my modified grip. Am afraid the portion above the web does not stick for long but crumbles down due to pressure; hence reapplied. :-(
http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q75 ... 4fb014.jpg
regs
A.

bishu57
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by bishu57 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:13 am

Dear AgN,

If i may be immodest :-) Grouping has considerably improved. If you PM me your email id would share some snaps of the cards. Your grip modification is quite extensive, may i suggest something that i discovered online - a material called "Sugru" you can check it at sugru.com. Am happy to share that I have that and also the "wood paste" from rink with me. do let me know if you want to explore these instead of M-seal (especially in the areas where you have to apply repeatedly).

regards

Bishu57