The real 'gun problem'! (Monsoons)

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: The real 'gun problem'! (Monsoons)

Post by xl_target » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 pm

SS wrote:
Grumpy wrote:No. WD40 is a water displacement product - it is a VERY poor lubricant and won`t stay on a surface.
It also rots wood at a rate of knots.
Thanks Grumpy.

ABM, Ballistol is what I'm using for now. Also got wd40 and hoppes no. 9- not used the latter yet. I guess these should suffice for the time being.

Cheers,
SS
SS, I'm sure you are aware of this; (just in case and for those who aren't aware) Hoppe's No. 9 is mainly a powder solvent even though they claim it prevents rust. If you haven't fired the gun, you don't need to crack the bottle.
Still, one does get used to the smell. It is one smell that I do associate with guns. It would make a great after-shave lotion except that my wife can't stand it. :)

As far as WD 40, I have no idea why people keep bringing it up. There has never been, nor will there ever be WD40 in my gun room. It sits in my garage instead. While WD40 does have some efficacy as a corrosion preventative, there are so many more suitable products today that do a significantly better job fulfilling two of WD40's three main claims (i.e. lubrication and rust prevention).

inplainsight and anyone interested; here is a product test that shows how well some of them work. This is by no means all that products available out there. If you look around there are a bunch of similar test on the net with many featuring other products. I notice Ballistol is not on there but it is not a product that is readily available everywhere in the US. None around this area, at least. Still Ballistol seems to get high marks from its users. I, personally, have used Breakfree CLP for thirty some years (as a corrosion preventer), along with Hoppe's No. 9 for getting rid of powder fouling.

Rust preventative test
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Well done xl_target ..... no harm in repeating the link to the rust preventative test link.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 pm

I carry WD 40 in my range bag. Especially around this time, with the monsoons upon us. Once the gun gets wet, it gets sprayed with WD 40 and then wiped down. Then cleaned once i am home.
For that purpose atleast, it is good.
What do you guys use for similar situations?
Regards
To Excellence through Diligence.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:15 pm

xl

WD 40 has served me well for cleaning after firing ammo with corrosive primers.Used to use hot water before that.WD 40 is a lot less messy.

Grumpy,

Did not know that WD40 affects wood.Will keep that in mind.Thanks.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Ballistol smells .... Hoppes smells .... and WD40 smells. Of the three, I think that WD40 smells most unpleasant.
I used to advocate the use of WD40 years ago but now barely ever use it on guns.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Safarigent wrote:I carry WD 40 in my range bag. Especially around this time, with the monsoons upon us. Once the gun gets wet, it gets sprayed with WD 40 and then wiped down. Then cleaned once i am home.
For that purpose atleast, it is good.
What do you guys use for similar situations?
Regards
AB
I carry RemOil in my range bag but generally only use it for lubrication.
CLP seems to stay on the metal quite well. I generally wipe any firearm down with a CLP dampened rag before putting it in the gun cabinet.
If I'm going to use it, I wipe it down with a dry rag before putting it in the case to transportation.
If it gets wet in the field or range, I don't do anything but wipe it with a dry rag before casing it at the end of the day or range session.
I have left them like that (in the hard case) for a couple of days (ya, I know that's tempting fate) before stripping them down to clean them.
Apparently, enough CLP stays on the metal to protect it because I don't have rust on any of my guns.
The oldest one that I shoot regularly was bought new in Dec 1984 and it still looks like the day it left the factory.

However, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Winnie,
I wasn't aware that WD40 would cut corrosive salts. I thought you had to use something water based.
Learn something new everyday.

One of my biggest issues with WD40 is that it leaves a yellowish film on some objects when it dries.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:50 pm

Winnie,
What corrosive ammo is this?
Thanks for the reply XL!
To Excellence through Diligence.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:19 pm

XL,

Thanks for that information. The Hoppe's is sealed for now- I'd bought it keeping in mind that IOF.22. Bought the 3006 instead which has a chrome lined barrel. The conclusion I reached (post reading online ofcourse) is that I could use Hoppes (which probably has ammonia) post shooting sessions but I should not leave it on the iniside of the barrel while storage. Too much conflicting information on the net so I decided not to use it at all. Any suggestions?

I have breakfree on my wishlist on amazon when I visit US next- haven't been able to find it anywhere around here.

Btw- I heard they made room freshners in that Hoppe's fragrance!

Grumpy, thanks. I have been quite liberal with my use on WD40 but will keep it away from wood going forward.

AB, trust me a mother disliking the smell of ballistol is no where close to a wife disliking it! Suprisingly, I seem to be the only one who doesn't mind that smell at all.

Cheers,
SS

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:14 pm

There are people that LOVE the smell of Hoppes !
WD40 is a water dispersant. Useful for chasing water out of - for example - padlocks and for freeing up rusted-up bolts BUT it is not a lubricant and doesn`t adhere to surfaces.
( Terry Pratchett )

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:02 am

Use a furniture paste wax. I am sure there is a local version of this somewhere:
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:52 am

Mark's absolutely right. The simplest way to protect a carry handgun is toe liberally coat it with car wax. Wax do not run when wet and protect against finger prints as well. Generous coat every third day will serve you well. I have even used Candle wax in emergencies when caught in a cloud burst while outdoors. Please take care that the car wax is not mixed with rubbing compound as its use will strip off the bluing. I have now graduated to "Armadillo" wax by Blue Wonder and this Teflon mixed product protects all my handguns and long arms as well. Never had complains wit Turtle Wax either. Do examine the innards for moisture seeping in from tiny openings though.
Best of luck

Marksman

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:56 am

BTW, WD-40 should only be confined to barrel scrubbing in case one does not have better dedicated stuff.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:06 pm

marksman wrote:Wax do not run when wet
It will run when it's hot.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:
marksman wrote:Wax do not run when wet
It will run when it's hot.

Well....unless there are hot showers. :wink: :lol:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Of the lot, Eezox smells the best but not easily available in India as there's no demand for it.

However, Ballistol does a fantastic job of protecting metal wiithout screwing up the wood.

Their (Ballistol) bore solvent, Robla Solo Mil, is right up there with the best of them. Infact, I prefer it to Montana Extreme, Sweets, the J-B compounds, Pro-Shot and a probably a few I have forgotten/sold.

Hoppe's # 9 (bore-solvent) and Rem Oil (lubricant & rust preventive) are rubbish when compared to what is available now.

I have never tried it but the Sentry Solution Marine Tuf-Cloth is considered to be good.