Anyone in Shanghai?

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Anyone in Shanghai?

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:08 am

Friends, I will be Shanghai next week on official work (meetings, conferences, and other such sleeping pills!). Evenings will be mostly free.

If some IFG Bro is around, would be honoured to meet up.

In any case, can someone help me with places to visit, have a couple of drinks, etc.? Where I will not be robbed or put into prison for life!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Anyone in Shanghai?

Post by xl_target » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:09 am

Bon Voyage esdee.
Take lots of photos.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

spin_drift
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by spin_drift » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Be good or else be careful and try to not to get shanghaied ;)
I believe in second chances… it’s called reloading

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:38 am

Wish you a nice 'Shanghai Surprise'!!! :wink:

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:37 pm

tirpassion wrote:Wish you a nice 'Shanghai Surprise'!!! :wink:
+ 1

Don't miss the street markets for local food (but be careful) and copies of Jap katanas .... you also get Korean and Chinese full metal C02, airsoft and dummy pistols in Shanghai.... Unlike Hong Kong they do allow you to enter the airport with big blades in hand luggage but please check with the authorities in advance.

Bon Voyage

TC

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks, guys!

TCda, I'll get the Katanas / airsofts into the plane probably OK (I do have a stopover in HK, so that might be an issue), but how on earth do I get them off the plane and out of Mumbai airport? Even an Indian prison holds no attractions for me! Of course, if I see a decent small blade, I'll probably risk it!

Say, does anyone know if the Chinese object to people carrying a carton or so of smokes? The legal ITC stuff......
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi Essdee,
Till nine months ago the Chinese did not object to people carrying their own smoke. Don't think the rules have changed.
Now coming to the Mumbai airport part : Declare a Katana as "traditional Chinese artifact to be put up on the wall" .... should work. For safety buy one with a blunt edge and decorative blade /scabbard. Since these are knockoffs you can always alter the looks the way you want. I can say for sure that the cheapest 10 dollar Chinese Katanas are brought into the country by mules/carriers by the dozens. You can find them at Heera Panna. I have seen much better finishes (and a little expensive) in Hong Kong and my brother spotted a number of these in Shanghai
Dummy pistols are clearly marked (on the box) as non-firing replicas and there is no ban on importing a "showpiece" or "a toy for my boy."
Airsoft guns are usually made of ABS so should not be a problem with the same "toy for my boy" theory. And, if you are a member of a rifle club (I assumed all along as I wrote that you are) a Co2 pistol will do no harm.

Cheers

TC

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:28 pm

TCda, thanks!

The "toy for my boy" idea sounds good, esp as I have a boy who will appreciate such gifts - I caught him trying to use my Lansky sharpener recently!!

Sorry to disappoint, but I am not a member of a gun club :stupid: . Love 0.22's too much to submit to the silly 0.177 diktatorship :rules: ! Plus the clubs here are at least 1.5-2 hrs drive - one way - away......... unlike my compatriots Airgun Novice and Brihacharan, I love to be lazy on weekends :ZZZ: !!
Cheers!

EssDee

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Dear SD,
Guess what ? I just (as in yesterday) discovered a 3-lane shooting range at Mulund just off the EEH and another one is getting inaugurated at Thane (E). Finally got on the Net after a week. :-) Bon voyage. So time to get that membership. :-) You can always borrow my N25/ Pegasus or get one. Lemme know after you return and we shall check 'em out.
regs
A.

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:52 am

Bon Voyage SDda. Hope u dont forget ur slr . Take a lot of pics and email them to Maharshtras CM. Mumbai aspires to be like Shanghai is'nt it... In the next 500 years maybe lolllzzzzzi :D

Regards
Moin
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:30 pm

AGN, since I am baaaack, we can check them out maybe this coming Sat??

No issues with smokes, booze, etc., but my bosses made sure I couldn't go shopping........... So the only stuff I got is something from duty free..... wanted to try out the Irish stuff after years of sticking to the Scottish! And yes, I did see some "copy" multitools, but I would be better off spending the $$ on Victorinoxes or Leathermen in India. These looked exactly like the reputed brands, and unless you know how an original Vic opens, closes, and generally behaves, anyone can be fooled! Meant for mall ninja type knife carriers - "mere paas bhi Swiss knife hai". I was reasonably sure some of the smaller attachments (e.g. the nail files and bottle/can openers) were mild steel or even aluminium. Looking for quality? Sorry!

Moin, I did get a few pics, most of them from my 79th floor room. And the Mumbai-Shanghai conundrum can best be discussed over a glass of the Irish......
Cheers!

EssDee

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Dear SD - Out of station this Sat-Sun. But should you want, I can email you the directions. BTW timing is rather odd 10AM-5PM and on holidays (incl Sat-Sun) kids on training schedule supposedly crowd. Do not feel bad that you could not snap Shanghai to compare with Mumbai. Well, our Mumbai does turn into VENICE every monsoon anyway... ROTFL

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Welcome home brother,
Waiting for some view from your room in the sky. :D

:cheers: (here's to the Irish :wink: )

TC