Need help in locating some scrap lead + slingshot pics

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
discovershashank
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Need help in locating some scrap lead.

Post by discovershashank » Tue May 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks AAmit I would probably go to a metal dealer tomorrow. It's quite far and I am not sure if they sell in smaller quality. Do you mind telling me the price you would sell it to someone if he shows up at your place of business. Just for an idea to get a good bargain tomorrow.
I thought of few replacements for the ammo. On would be medium small aquarium pebbles, The Other would be the nuts they sell at hardware store, the Pentagon or hexagonal ones.
What do you guys think of that?
Any other suggestions? I would try to get Some replacement for ammo if I don't get the lead tomorrow.
A knife makes me feel stronger, keeps my temper down and gives me the courage to fight for the right. If I am wrong, don't correct me...

For Advertising mail webmaster
bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Tue May 07, 2013 9:42 pm

discovershashank wrote: BTW my new sling is here, was looking for a simple design for some time.
http://db.tt/oy819TEZ
Interesting. I have never used a metallic slingshot myself because they were unavailable to me in India decades ago when I was a schoolboy. I always used the wood of a guava tree which is very hard. Again it was always car inner tube or lorry inner tube rubber for the power and a piece of leather for the ammo. I used to be able to shoot flowers off their stems at 5 to 10 meters. Easier than using an air rifle for the same.

Aquarium pebbles are great but I think nuts from hardware stores would be seriously effecive ammo. I have never used them on any regular basis but the size and weight are appropriate although I guess it will veer after 10 meters or so. How about ball bearings from an automobile scrap dealer? The last time I carried a catapult around in my pocket was about 15 years ago when I used to walk in a lonely park at 5 AM (darkness) and got attacked by a bunch of wild dogs because I used to choose unusual routes not frequented by people. Never got attacked again though and the catapult was never used.

discovershashank
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by discovershashank » Wed May 08, 2013 6:11 am

Nice to here your story sir, it just brings me closer to my memories.
I went to my village as a kid when my uncle who was too young to be called that any I often called him Ajay bhaia mistake. He knew my love for weapons and gifted me with my first decent folder which had a 2.5 inches of carbon steel pen knife style blade who he hand sharpened on the stone and made me a wooden skin out of it. It was beautiful and I just wished I had it. As it was end of our vacation he couldn't make the Slingband for me. My father was pretty sure that he coo get it done and I was as sure that he simply wouldn't. Anyways the Slingshot remained in my box of what nots until my granny broke her leg. She was old but in much better shape than Today at that point. Being a wrestlers daughter as she told us. After the bandages were opened,my dad got light resistance bands which the moment I looked I knew were made just for my slingshot. I had to keep it low as that was not the right time but had to book it before my sister gets an air of my plans. I somehow suspected she would take it if she knew. I guess most of you guys can understand younger brother Elder sister thing:-) . Anyway I asked my dad after a couple of days when I caught him in good mood. I reminded him the Slingshot and the work done on it and told him that he would have to make me a slingshot out of the band once the purpose is solved.
Just then my sister entered and did exactly what I thought. She said she would like use it for light workout. My dad quickly ruled it out on hygiene reasons as mentioned on the package. He built me the Slingshot as soon as I got my granny say she doesn't wanna use it any more and dad made pretty good sling out of it. Not as good as I expected but good enough. I kept the rest of the band safe so that my uncle would make the best Slingshot for me out of it. That sling lasted for about a year when it finally took it's first brake. A lot was going on at that time and I had bigger things to think about than making another band. It got lost and forgotten since then until I saw this slingshot online. I had to order it an must say pretty impressed by what I ended up with.it's accurate but that depends on how good you balance it while putting it together. It's mostly done alright but if you are getting one of these, secure the bands with rubber band which I didn't do and had to spend some time balancing.
Let's see how far it goes. I might use resistance bands in future which I found out to be not my discovery but is being used by people. There are tonnes of such videos on YouTube. The best seems to be Thera band gold. You would be amazed to see the speed and accuracy of many folks. Putting few links I am sure you would like if not seen already.
A knife makes me feel stronger, keeps my temper down and gives me the courage to fight for the right. If I am wrong, don't correct me...

vijayshimla
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vijayshimla » Wed May 08, 2013 4:44 pm

To get any quantity of lead in India- i have found that the best place to go to are the Sanitaryware Dealers--molten lead is used still for fixing Cast Iron Sewage pipes and they will sell from 1 kg to silli of about 20 kg.

discovershashank
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by discovershashank » Wed May 08, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi Vijay, I read so online and checked with sanitary ware dealers in my area which were pretty big dealers. After the first few told they do not keep it and doesn't know anyone who is selling it, I gave up looking at those stores. If you get it at your place, I would try in bigger markets. Did not get any time to look today. Probably gonna try on weekend.

marthandan
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marthandan » Wed May 08, 2013 8:22 pm

lead weights are easily available from fishing tackle shops.

http://www.fishingtackleindia.com/index ... ategory/84

if you find that to be expensive, let me know. i can buy some from the local tackle shops and courier it to you.
marthandan

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Wed May 08, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi dis sorry it very long name and i dont know english much.if you have not found any lead then i suggest you to find senatory store by the native name of lead in your reigion.we in haryana calls it RAANG,SIKKA i am not sure but it can be helpful.i have faced similer problem like you thanks

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 pm

you can also find lead from tire balance shops but now days every car have alloy wheels and lead weigts are sticked inside of rim not on front.these weights comes with double sided tapes or even the shop owner doesnt know what they are made of.you just ask for balancing weight and that will be lead each weight of 10 grams thanks

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu May 09, 2013 8:37 am

For slingshot ammo you can also try to locate glass marbles, try a garden supply store or here in the US a lot of bulk glass is sold in marble size and shape. Also you can get pricing on steel ball bearings, the 5 mm size works well and is probably not that expensive where you are.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:33 am

Mark, the garden supply type of marbles would be comparatively expensive here, mainly due to their uniform size and consistency, transparency, etc. Cheaper option would be kids' toy marbles.

Shashank, you can try wholesalers of Chinese made toys - they have some marble-based games, quite reasonably priced, esp when you are going to throw away the game part and keep only the marbles!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

discovershashank
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by discovershashank » Thu May 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi, guys thanks for all the suggestions. Essdee, exactly what I did. I bought a brainwita set from a shop and well, kept the board aside, tried them and the result was pretty good but I found nuts doing much better job and stays accurate. The marbles tend to divert in windy conditions over a distance but the nuts stayed more accurate.

Thanks Ashok, I did try explaining the shopkeepers what I was looking for and I think they did had something made of lead but I think they might not be aware of.

And thanks marthandan, for the link and the offer. The lead online seems little a costly right now and keeping leads weight in mind, I think you shipping would not save much. Just not the right time to spend extra :? But I appreciate you being ready to walk out to make that purchase and ship it to me. For a lazy a$$ like me that looks to be the greatest gesture :roll: I thank you for that.

YogiBear
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by YogiBear » Tue May 14, 2013 3:45 am

Aloha,

You can also go to automotive/truck repair shop and get unservicable ball bearings if they discard them.

The trick is to get the bearing out of the bearing races. Then your problem is getting rid of the steel races.

Also, you should be able to find them on the internet from places like Bass Pro, Cabela's or Gander Mountain.

Look under slingshot. Don't know if they will send out to you or the costs involved.

You can also use round lead fishing sinkers. They come in various sizes.

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Tue May 14, 2013 10:29 pm

You can always use glass marbles...they are super cheap and you can get them in local shops pretty easily..You can get 500 for Rs 50- 80 ....that's what I use...pretty effective and accurate..though the range and knock down power won't be similar to lead balls due to difference in density...by the way what kind of sling shot are you using? Home made? What kind of rubber are you using..? I had made mine using new 16 no. Foley catheter (urinary catheter) ... You can get those in any medical store..will post the pics sometime.. With some practice I was pretty consistently hitting beer cans at 20 -30 yards..very addictive:- D

discovershashank
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Need help in locating some scrap lead_ slingshots pics

Post by discovershashank » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:54 pm

http://db.tt/sBoRyJ4x

http://db.tt/x0KuI4S8

Just done making this slingshot. Tried with quick bands. Works great. Waiting on an aunt who would come next month forf theraband gold to make the real bands.