Please Help me with a good Scope

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
sicosidd
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Please Help me with a good Scope

Post by sicosidd » Fri May 04, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi,

This is my first posting on this blog, this is siddharth from Hyderabad and i have 3 Air Rifles, Diana 350,Weihrauch HW 90, and HW 77K, i plan to get a good scope for my HW90 ( i am tempted to buy a Walther 3-9*40E IR scope ) for the same but wanted some expert suggestions on a good scope for the 350 Magnum and HW 90.

Appreciate your help...

PS: Also any Pneumatic Ariguns around?

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Re: Please Help me with a good Scope

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri May 04, 2007 4:58 pm

Hello Siddarth,

Welcome to IFG and it's good to see our Hyderabad members increase in number.

You should get advice on scopes and mounts for your air rifle shortly from the air rifle experts here. I am not an airgunner myself though I do know a little about optics. If Walther lend their name to a product (I am not familiar with their branded scopes and have no idea who make them for Walther but optical companies in Germany are many in number) it should be very good.

As an airgunner, you will make many friends here. Do drop in whenever you feel like it.

Welcome again!

PS If you're looking at buying something, check out our classifieds. If you don't find what you want, then post on our Guns Wanted classifieds. All advertisements in our classifieds are free and we only request that you post back if you do buy something from a member with details of how the purchase went. If something is being sold, then the price must be posted and be openly visible for everyone to see.

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Fri May 04, 2007 5:26 pm

hey siddharth

know nothing about scopes am totally new to shooting
but amazing rifles you go there:)

Tc
siddharth

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri May 04, 2007 5:40 pm

Hi Siddharth,

The Walther you mentioned will most probably not last very long on any of those spring-piston air-rifles. They are okay for PCPs and .22lr rimfire rifles.

You will need to look for a medium to heavy recoil scope.
http://www.straightshooters.com/navagat ... tures.html

I have not had a problem with the Simmons Pro Air series, Bushnell Legend series and the Tasco / Hawke Varmint series. However, I am not sure if these will survive on a Diana 350 Magnum as it has a jarring'ish recoil.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri May 04, 2007 5:48 pm

Walther scopes are cheap. Reckoned by many to be cheap and nasty. They looked remarkably good value to me but when I mentioned them to Mack The Knife he was less than impressed so I had a closer look.......and yes, Walther scopes are cheap, Chinese made ...... and not very nice.
Goodness knows why a company with the high reputation that Walther have should associate themselves with such a downmarket range of scopes.
Good value for money scopes ? :
Debens Hawke Nite Eye Dot IR range ;
The Italian Konus Pro range;
Bushnells Trophy range.
How any of them would do on a spring powered air rifle I have no idea but they all work well with considerably ( ! ) harder recoiling centrefire rifles.

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Fri May 04, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi Siddharth

Welcome to the forum.You might remember me.We had met at Royal Armoury some time back.

I think that the Walther 3-9x40mm scope might be a good choice for the HW90.It might be a little too powerful for an air rifle but then again, it wouldnt hurt you.I use a Redhawk 3-9x40mm scope for my diana 350 magnum and an AGS 4-16x56mm SWAT scope for my Logun S16s.

One more thing I would like to point out is that you should probably use a rail mount with the Walther scope rather than normal mounts.since it is an expensive scope and you dont want it shifting for every 100 shots.

Cheers

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri May 04, 2007 7:25 pm

"One more thing I would like to point out is that you should probably use a rail mount with the Walther scope rather than normal mounts.since it is an expensive scope and you dont want it shifting for every 100 shots."

????????
All the Walther scopes are cheap........and if your scope mounts move every 100 shots they are either crappy mounts or incorrectly mounted.

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Fri May 04, 2007 7:37 pm

Grumpy

If you have fired a Diana 350 Magnum, you will notice that it has a high leel of recoil.So as you mentioned if someone uses cheap mounts, they will start shifting.If you use a rail mount, this might be reduced by a considerable amount.

Thats why most big game shooters prefer a rail mount rather than normal mounts.

Cheers

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Fri May 04, 2007 10:58 pm

Hi Siddharth,
Welcome to the forum. IMHO, you should go for a riflescope that is specifically designed for air rifles. The reason being that they are supposed to be much tougher then most of the riflescopes used on centerfire rifles. Please remember, a spring powered airgun recoils both ways because of it's very design. The lenses of scopes are normally cemented to the tube accordingly to accomodate the recoil,where as the air rifle spring causes a forward recoil as well after the initial recoil. Hence most scopes go out of allignment in just a few months. All the best.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat May 05, 2007 12:06 am

"thats why most big game shooters prefer a rail mount rather than normal mounts."

Sorry Ashar but that`s just not the case - a Weaver type rail on a hunting rifle is a rare thing......as much as anything because they are so ugly. The purpose of a Weaver or Picatinny rail is not increased security but convenience in mounting accessories.

sicosidd
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by sicosidd » Tue May 08, 2007 12:01 pm

HydNawab";p="19287 wrote:Hi Siddharth

Welcome to the forum.You might remember me.We had met at Royal Armoury some time back.

I think that the Walther 3-9x40mm scope might be a good choice for the HW90.It might be a little too powerful for an air rifle but then again, it wouldnt hurt you.I use a Redhawk 3-9x40mm scope for my diana 350 magnum and an AGS 4-16x56mm SWAT scope for my Logun S16s.

One more thing I would like to point out is that you should probably use a rail mount with the Walther scope rather than normal mounts.since it is an expensive scope and you dont want it shifting for every 100 shots.

Cheers

Ashar

Hi Ashar, How are you doing, good to see you on this forum, dude i missed your phone # can you sms or call me on (edited by moderator.Please PM him the number.Remember.It's for your own safety.Please do not leave your address or phone numbers on the open forums.Thanks)

I am waiting on the walther scope, i guess its not a good scope for the 350 or the HW90, as advised i will use a rail mount, nizam is making one for me.

Cheers
Siddharth

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Thu May 10, 2007 12:16 am

The leupold 3-9 x 33mm EFR (extended focus range) is a good scope.
www.straightshooters.com/leupold

sat

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Mon May 14, 2007 9:59 pm

hey

i have IHP air rifle, which does not have the rail base nor the screw hole to mount the scope base. So i will have to do some jugad :D, either i get the base soldered or use some super glue to first fix the mount on the air rifle, so in ur sugestion which would be easiest mount to get fixed first and then mount the scope.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue May 15, 2007 12:42 am

Doesn`t the IHP have conventional dovetails cut for mounting a scope ? If it doesn`t you can forget super glue as a method of mounting a scope.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue May 15, 2007 1:31 pm

No rails Grumpy they don't want (according to a dealer) people to thing that they are long range stuff mmmpfff giggle ;-). Anyway the incredible trigger always ensures that you pull the shot and so the scope allows you to spot how far you missed by.

Dev
Grumpy";p="20148 wrote: Doesn`t the IHP have conventional dovetails cut for mounting a scope ? If it doesn`t you can forget super glue as a method of mounting a scope.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.