How to give your stock a BASIC oil finish

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: How to give your stock a BASIC oil finish.

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Looking very nice Mack The Knife! BTW - I've been meaning to ask, what's that round silver coloured sticker just ahead of the sling swivel?
Abhijeet,

I asked Grumpy the same and he tells me that it is called an escutcheon or shield on which the owner would have his/her name or initials engraved. In this case, it is called a blind as there is no engraving.

The one you see here is actually polished brass but the light can play tricks whilst taking pics.

The gold plated triggers were a mistake. If you look at the pics in the shotgun section, you will notice that the triggers and top lever were heavily tarnished and their finish worn off. A friend suggested that I have them gold plated as a protective coat. I did not quite like the idea of blinging the gun, so asked Grumpy whether this would be suitable for a English style SxS shotgun. I wont quote the old curmudgeon word for word but he basically wanted to know if I was a tart or a shooter. ;) This reply was received late at night, so I could not call my jeweller friend who had the trigger blades. Sent him an SMS but he claims not to have received it, so this is how I came to have gold plated trigger blades. The cost was only Rs.100.00 per blade so removing it really wouldn't matter. However, I have let it remain for the time being.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:15 pm

Inder,

This weekend I would just like to go to the range and shoot the damned thing. Give me a call and we will decide when to meet.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:23 pm

the amount of patience that you have is scary.
Shows how little you know me. ;)

Your shotgun is a real treasure
For some reason I haven't quite taken to it. The rust on the front of the rib being a prime reason. I am already considering blinging it - gloss finish stock (Indians just love shiny things), a good reblue and then selling it for twice what it cost me, so that I can get within striking reach of that unused Webley & Scott SxS 12 gauge.

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:26 pm

Mack The Knife, Magic! No comparison to what it looked earlier.Brilliant job and thanks for sharing.Planning to do some bluing work any soon? RB would nicely fit on the escutcheon.I don't think the gold plated triggers look any bad.

Best-
Vikram

Pee yess: what did you do with the rusting at the muzzle?
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi Vikram,

Sure it looks a little more presentable than what it did but that's about it.

Ranjeet, got me some blue from Germany but that is not hardwearing at all. I will have to get some Oxpho and Dicropan T4 in or better still, try my hand at rust bluing.

Right now I am not sure whether I am going to keep it or let it go, so will avoid putting any initials on the shield.

See page 4 of this thread for 'rusting at the muzzle and it's removal'.

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:52 pm

Don't know how I missed it.Thanks.In case you need any stuff from here.Please let me know.Can post immediately.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:56 pm

Mack The Knife,
Missed out on the images on Pg 4,neat job.
Guess with the bluing to follow nobody will know the diff.
You will get the 2x,if it's going back on the rack.
What's the quote on the W & S,just to get a benchmark on prices down South.
Best
Sanjay

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:10 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="15921 wrote:Inder,

This weekend I would just like to go to the range and shoot the damned thing. Give me a call and we will decide when to meet.

Mack The Knife
Okie will give ya a call on friday. Regarding Oxpho I've got some and I think that should cover your shotty. let me know if you want it.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:42 pm

Vikram,

Thanks for the offer but blue is one thing that is getting increasingly difficult to get by post. Cabelas and Brownells wont ship, otherwise I would have ordered some.

Let me know a little ahead of your departure for India and I will have a few things sent to you to bring. Probably only two things - Napier's Super Shield and Napiers Gun Oil. If Grumps rates them they are definitely worth a try.

Ta!

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:14 pm

Sanjay";p="15931 wrote:Mack The Knife,
Missed out on the images on Pg 4,neat job.
Guess with the bluing to follow nobody will know the diff.
You will get the 2x,if it's going back on the rack.
What's the quote on the W & S,just to get a benchmark on prices down South.
Best
Sanjay
Sanjay,

JB-Weld will most probably not take a blue. Grumpy had advised me to add charcoal dust to the epoxy before filling the cavities but I deliberately ignored this as he was unfamiliar with the product and I did not want to take a chance by adding a foreign substance.

I have a Birchwood Caset metal marking pen which could blacken the JB-Weld but I'd rather leave it naked at the moment to observe what effect firing has on it, if any.

The quoted price for the Webley & Scott is 2 lakhs.

Mack The Knife

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:26 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="15937 wrote:
Thanks for the offer but blue is one thing that is getting increasingly difficult to get by post. Cabelas and Brownells wont ship, otherwise I would have ordered some.

Probably only two things - Napier's Super Shield and Napiers Gun Oil. If Grumps rates them they are definitely worth a try.
Mack The Knife,

Have you tried this site ?

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_ ... gories=259

or Target Sports

http://www.targetsports.co.uk/index.php ... 965ef1fb3b
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:48 pm

Sujay,

I know of these sites but as far as purchases in the U.K. go, I have only ever ordered from B.A.R and the one time from J.S.R. and the N.S.R.A. shop at Bisley.

My brother may be moving to the U.K., so hopefully that will make it a bit easier getting non-postable supplies once a year.

Mack The Knife

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:12 pm

[quote="Mack The Knife Bana";p="15942"]
Sanjay";p="15931 wrote:Mack The Knife,

The quoted price for the Webley & Scott is 2 lakhs.

Mack The Knife
[/quote]

Wow ! Thats a lot,you could get a good O/U on this side for that price.Prices in Delhi are all time low for shotguns,the business is slow according to some of the dealers I met,thanks to the licencing policy,they are rejecting a lot of fresh apps.
A good SxS would be anywhere bet 45 to 75 K.A lil more then it would be out of the box,in mint condition.
Sanjay

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:39 pm

But I think it will be very nice to shoot. Ofcourse I don't know anything about shotguns but you may just fall in love with it. The wood looks so nice those diamonds are so pretty.

regards,

dev
Mack The Knife Bana";p="15923 wrote:
the amount of patience that you have is scary.
Shows how little you know me. ;)

Your shotgun is a real treasure
For some reason I haven't quite taken to it. The rust on the front of the rib being a prime reason. I am already considering blinging it - gloss finish stock (Indians just love shiny things), a good reblue and then selling it for twice what it cost me, so that I can get within striking reach of that unused Webley & Scott SxS 12 gauge.

Mack The Knife
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:06 pm

Mack The Knife,
Well, I thought the jeweller goes to bed early...;)
I have similar 'gold plated' handles on many surgical instruments-but that denotes tungsten carbide jaws for
a. fine work and,
b. horrendously expensive.
thought you went and got something TC'd!
okie, the story is closer to home and the jeweller.
Surprised at the bling, but since its a 'turn around' job-wish you luck as you zoom towards the W&S shotgun
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."