M1 Garand

Posts related to rifles.
ebraganza
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: M1 Garand

Post by ebraganza » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks all ...

I know of someone who wants to sell a U.S. Armoury Springfield M1 Garand ...
If anybody is interested please let me know ...

For Advertising mail webmaster
guncrazy
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by guncrazy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Dear All,
It has been long I wrote on this forum but at times when my fingers itch and stomach churns words flow,
M1 Garand, M1 Carbine and 1911A pistol they are all here in India and in bulk, ask faujis of this nation, I myself have a M1 Garand, the only worst part here is NPB and PB types of weapon, M1 Garand is a semi rifle therefore before issuing the Army Base Workshop drills hole in the gas cyilnder and operating rod to make it single shot whereas the carbine and pistol are still issued on PB license and in orignal condition. Sorry but at times I feel like sharing gyan,
Regards
Guncrazy

carbine
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by carbine » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:28 pm

there are lots of .30 carbine and .30m1 garand in UP /BIHAR.but all semiautomatic rifle and semiautomatic shotgun are PB in india.only defence personnel are getting new liecense for PB weapons in india

ebraganza
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ebraganza » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:20 pm

guncrazy wrote:Dear All,
It has been long I wrote on this forum but at times when my fingers itch and stomach churns words flow,
M1 Garand, M1 Carbine and 1911A pistol they are all here in India and in bulk, ask faujis of this nation, I myself have a M1 Garand, the only worst part here is NPB and PB types of weapon, M1 Garand is a semi rifle therefore before issuing the Army Base Workshop drills hole in the gas cyilnder and operating rod to make it single shot whereas the carbine and pistol are still issued on PB license and in orignal condition. Sorry but at times I feel like sharing gyan,
Regards
Guncrazy
Is your M1 Garand single shot ? ...

-- Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:43 pm --
guncrazy wrote:Dear All,
Regards
Guncrazy

The gas cylinder of a semi automatic already has a hole in it ... To make it single shot the hole needs to be blocked so that the gas does not go out and you end up cocking the rifle to shoot again ... The army issued ones earlier are all in semi automatic condition, however I am not sure if lately they have started making it single shot ... The ones that I am aware of were the workshop drills holes are for display purposes in officer's mess etc. ... Basically these display rifles have all the parts intact only thing due to these holes cannot be operated ...

Bill Poole
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Bill Poole » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:58 am

My Garand, John C got it right when he put it into production.

Poole

http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/westerngames.htm
-
Bill Poole बिल पूल بل پول
Arizona, USA
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:28 am

Nice guns Bill are the last two rifles 1903 Springfields?

Best

Bill Poole
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Bill Poole » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:25 am

Top is a garand, my wife's actually

2nd is a 1903A3 (the WWII variant of the 1903) borrowed from a friend for the match

3rd is my 1896 Swedish Mauser, made in 1909, 6.5x55mm

This year in the CMP Western Games, I'll shoot a different swede, same garand and I'm borrowing a 1903 from the same friend.

Poole
-
Arizona, USA

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:40 am

HI Bill, Nice Guns.
What does the disc read on the butt of the swede? I passed up on a 2 (I think) the allure of a 243! But no fear, its back on my radar!!! What loads? I use a different 6.5, (x 284) but the 139 Scenars do a great job.
GL
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vrohan59 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:01 am

roy wrote:I had no idea that many Garands were sent to India during WWII. I had thought that Commonwealth weapons would be what was available. Converted to "single shot?" Do you mean a true single shot rifle such as a Martini Henry? Or were they converted to a manually operated repeater? When I hear "single shot" I think of a firearm which only holds one cartridge, but have heard the term used to mean one shot at a time as opposed to full auto, and also to signify that a magazine cutoff device is being employed and the rifle reloaded with single rounds while keeping the loaded magazine in reserve.......
Roy,
In Shillong,where I'm from there were American soldiers stationed long after WW2 ended.As my grand dad told me they used to come to peoples' houses in the city and sell off "surplus"arms and ammo.As a result a really large number of G.I as well as trophy Axis weapons are in our hands!!As my grand dad's brothers served as medical officers in the then British army,naturally we ended up with quite a few as well.Unfortunately most have been sold off at dirt cheap prices>
Regards
Rohan
War does not define who is right -- only who is left
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

Bill Poole
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Bill Poole » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:35 am

I don't remember what that disk reads, and it does not matter as the disk is not original to the gun.

my other 1896's came with disks, but I don't pay much attention to them

Poole
-
Arizona, USA

rakeshranjanyadav
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rakeshranjanyadav » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:32 pm

m1garand is avail in india on license and can anyone modify m1garand in this position

vikas singh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vikas singh » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Vineet wrote:In India M1 Garand would cost around 2 lac rupees.
Dear sir , iam looking for garand but not getting it . can u help me I am from UP :D

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:41 pm

The M1 is the only weapon in .30-06 I would be willing to own.
Sold my dad's when he died for 10K, since I didnt live in India and didnt want the hassle. One of these days will get one.

jagir singh gill
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by jagir singh gill » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:51 pm

m1s were sent to india during 1965 qnd 1971 war but by then they started using SLR(FN FAL) so now they are selling them to licensed soldiers from jabalpur depot.

but i really need one as i sold my own by mistake so pls help.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:52 am

Gill correctly speaking a NSP firearm issued toa fauji cant exchange hands witha no fauji but i have seen that happen where the licencing authorities are ignorant which most of them are.These were 1965 war surplus and the initial lot issued to faujis as NSP were semi automatics .Of course now the issuing depots have woken up and started drilling holes in the gas reciever tubes before issuing them.