My Crosman Quest 800X

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

My Crosman Quest 800X

Post by vivek009 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:00 am

Hi guys,

First of all - sorry that I vanished for almost 15 days after promising to send the pics, etc. of the gun. I got really busy with my brother-in-law's marriage in Indore.

Here are some of the pics I took last night:

[albumimgc]28[/albumimgc]

[albumimgc]29[/albumimgc]

[albumimgc]30[/albumimgc]

Looks elegant, does'nt she?

I have shot about a 200 rounds with it so far, and I think I can comment to a fair degree about its power and accuracy. Well, since I don't have access to a chrono, my comment on muzzle velocity is only qualitative - With 0.22 GSmiths, it repeatedly makes a 3/4 inch-wide and at least a half-inch deep crater on a cement wall located about 15 yards away. Whatever be the velocity, it is certainly less than the gun's potential since the GSmiths are really tight fitting pellets, with about 0.5-1mm of skirt sticking out of the breech.

It did take time to settle down - with the first 50 shots or so being all over the place, the next 50 after sight adjustments being close to the target. The remaining shots, after fine tuning the sights, have all been very accurate, if you subtract erronous shots. The gun is zeroed in for 50 yards and I am getting groups of about 2" to 2.5" at 50 yards now. The fibre optic sights really are much better than the conventional iron sights. You can aim at your targets even when there is reasonably dark outside.

There is one problem, however, that Im facing - The gun has a fair degree of recoil. The trigger assembly is attached to the back of the compression chamber with a large nut, which keeps loosening due to the jerks, resulting in the whole trigger assembly moving, after every 50 shots or so. The only way one can access that nut is by separating the action from the stock. I've done that twice already, but I don't think it is a good practice to repeatedly dismember the gun and then putting it back together. Is there any way this can be taken care once and for all? - I think I'll try a thread locker on the nut, next time I open up the gun.

All in all, I think the gun has been a great value for money - given its power and reasonable accuracy.

Cheers
Vivek

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kanwal » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:22 pm

Hi Vivek,

Whats the make and model no. of this beauty ? Where did you got it from and at what price ?

It's quite obvious that some amount of play comes in trigger assembly mechanism after few shots, How about the recoil effect ? does it also lower down as the movement increases also it must be losing power due to this ? have you discussed this problem with your supplier ?

--Kanwal

vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vivek009 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:13 pm

kanwal";p="12837 wrote:Hi Vivek,

Whats the make and model no. of this beauty ? Where did you got it from and at what price ?

--Kanwal
Its from Crosman. Its called Quest, the model no. is C8M22X - where 8 stands for 800fps, 22 stands for 0.22 cal. and X stands for the combo package - it comes with a Crosman 4X32 scope (which I am yet to try out fully, but the few shots I've taken using the scope have been very wayward).

I got it from US for about $116 plus $13 for shipping within US. My friend brought it to India.

Im not sure whether the recoil also reduces after trigger assembly starts moving. Will check that. Since it is not bought in India, there's no way I can talk to the supplier.

Vivek

kanwal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kanwal » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:32 pm

OK, so you bought it from some online store ( US ) otherwise would have cost you much more for shipping.

Since this is a 0.22 Cal is that freely allowed in INDIA ....I guess it is limited to 0.177 Cal ??

your friend didn't faced any problem in Indian Custom ? I think a lot of members will be interested in knowing about that experience in detail, it will serve them as a guidance.

pls post........

Kanwal

vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: My Crosman Quest 800X

Post by vivek009 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:52 pm

Kanwal,

The experience with Indian customs are posted in a different thread, titled "Bringing in a Crosman 0.22 cal...". However, for convenience, I'll narrate again.

First of all there is no restriction on 0.22 cal. if you are bringing it personally. The restriction is there if you get it shipped directly to India. My friend did not face any problem with Indian customs. He declared on his own that he is carrying an airgun. They inspected it, asked some stupid questions like - can it be used to kill someone? do you have a licence?, etc. and then let him go. They did ask him for payment of duty, but his stuff was only marginally higher than the duty free limit and he simply refused to pay any duty. They kept on insisting and he kept on refusing and they finally let him go.

He did face a bit of a problem with the airlines (Delta) at Texas airport. They raised objections since he was not carrying the gun in a hard case. But after some one and half hours of arguement, they let him go. Also, he had TSA approved locks on the case, which made his arguement stronger.

After landing in Mumbai, he had to catch a Jet flight to Indore. Jet guys made him fill some forms, checked that the gun is unloaded, issued a "firearms unloaded" tag. That was it. He says his experience with Jet was pleasing.

This is all he told me and this is all I know. All in all, he could bring it in without much fuss. And had he followed my advice of carrying the gun in a Hard Doskocil case, he would not even have faced the trouble that he did in Texas.

Vivek

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:10 pm

Vivek,

Loctites Removeable Threadlock 243 is the way to go. This applies to the stock screws as well.

Degrease before applying and don't flood the threads.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:16 pm

It's quite obvious that some amount of play comes in trigger assembly mechanism after few shots.
There shouldn't be any play caused by recoil after thousands of shots.

How about the recoil effect ? does it also lower down as the movement increases also it must be losing power due to this ?
Airguns don't loose power just because the recoil loosens the stock or trigger assembly fastners.

Mack The Knife

kanwal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kanwal » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Point is that Vivek has already faced this problem twice and in shooting less than 200 shorts......its a
mechanism.........

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:29 pm

I realise that because Vivek said so himself.

Your comment, "It's quite obvious that some amount of play comes in trigger assembly mechanism after few shots." gave me the impression that you were making a general observation rather than a specific one.

Mack The Knife

vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vivek009 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Mack The Knife,

Is this threadlocker - Loctite Removeable Threadlock 243 - available easily in India - I mean at general hardware shops, etc.

Vivek

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:01 pm

Yes, Vivek.

Loctite have a presence in India and I bought my bottle in Bangalore a good few years back.

Mack The Knife

vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vivek009 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:57 am

This is the screw I was talking about, which repeatedly gets loose, making the whole trigger assmbly move from side to side.

[albumimgl]41[/albumimgl]

Is there any difficulty you foresee in removing this and putting it back with loctite? Or anything I should keep in mind while removing it.

regards
Vivek

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:12 pm

Loctite Blue is available in small packs called super wiz. I believe this a removable thread locker which Mack The Knife is talking about. I remember writing a brochure for these guys six years ago. So they definately are around but till now I haven't found the red loctite anywhere in Delhi. But the small blue tubes are available everywhere just ask for super wiz.

Regards,

Dev

p.s. the Crosman Quest is a rebadged Cometa. You can lube it with James Maccari's spring lube and get a whole new set of stuff that he makes to make the rifle much smoother and pleasant to shoot. Anyway congrats on a nice air rifle.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:40 pm

Vivek,

Removeable threadlock shouldn't cause a problem there. If you can't get your hands on 243, use nail polish varnish as a stop gap measure.

I repeat......degrease the parts and don't flood the threads. I would also recommend you let the 243 set for atleast 30 minutes before shooting. I prefer to leave it alone for 24 hours though.

Mack The Knife

vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vivek009 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks Mack The Knife and Dev,

I'll try to get my hands on the 243. I just realised that the trigger pack has again got the sideways movemenet, which means the screw has loosened again, after my shooting session this morning. Does the threadlocker need to be applied often - I mean once applied, how long does it keep the screws from loosening? before the need for re-application arises. This is more important for such screws as shown in the pic which are inaccessible from outside.

regards
Vivek