Koyna-Chandoli Tiger Reserve- Starting an NGO.

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
lionheartguru
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Koyna-Chandoli Tiger Reserve- Starting an NGO.

Post by lionheartguru » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:32 pm

hey hey guys ... me too me too coming along ! :cheers:
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

For Advertising mail webmaster
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:52 am

I have lost at least 2 alsatian pups and one local terrier which developed symptoms of distemper just a few days of having given the vaccine.
We recently lost 5 dogs in 10 days. Cause 'unknown' but looked like distemper.

the only reason distemper wasnt on the diagnosis list was because they were vaccinated for it. But all symptoms matched distemper.

If anyone else has hadd had similar experiences please share.

I do know that once the cold chain is broken the vaccine is useless.

sorry for going OT.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Just found this video on a friends facebook profile. Similar to the one i posted earlier on this thread.

The background:
THIS WOMAN FOUND THIS LION, INJURED IN THE FOREST, ON THE VERGE OF DEATH. SHE TOOK THE LION HOME WITH HER AND NURSED IT BACK TO HEALTH.LATER, WHEN THE LION WAS BETTER, SHE MADE ARRANGEMENTS WITH A ZOO TO TAKE THE LION. SOME TIME PASSED BEFORE THE LADY HAD A CHANCE TO VISIT THE ZOO. THIS VIDEO WAS TAKEN WHEN THE WOMAN WALKED UP TO THE LIONS CAGE TO SEE HOW HE WAS DOING. WATCH THE LION'S REACTION WHEN HE SEES HER !!!!!

The Video:

Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:32 am

Thanks very much Archer, You really made my day. I sincerely wish more such videos, stories are presented on this forum instead of chaps happily posing with animals shot by them. Love and compassion for animals is a far higher emotion and I do believe one has to evolve spiritually to that level.
Best Regards

vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vrohan59 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:52 am

hvj1 wrote:Shooter
Yes this is the biggest problem. I spoke to one of the District Forest Officers about it, do you know, what he had to say about this? Cut all the trees, then we will have no problem of villagers felling trees! I said to myself, then why have you b@@tards in the first place? That is why I am a very strong advocate of the concept - Army take charge of these forests. Believe me the attitude of the Forest Dept. is the pits!
Furthermore only the presence of the army, with its manpower can manage to patrol the forests, no mai ka lal villager dares take pangas withe army. Believe me they are only afraid of the danda, nothing else works.
Regards
In the north east of India,its the army too who is responsible for illegal felling of trees!!There have been incidents where senior army officers on transfer have ordered their jawans to "get"them quality timber.These guys in uniform have literally blown off full hill sides of forest cover using explosives!!Next what,get the army to stop people from pissing on the streets??!!!!! And why should villagers fear army personal?these units have been created for our protection,so here its a case of choosing the lesser evil!!don't get me wrong,I'm a patriot,but if that means calling a b**tard a b**tard,then so be it :evil:
War does not define who is right -- only who is left
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:43 pm

archer wrote: THIS WOMAN FOUND THIS LION, INJURED IN THE FOREST, ON THE VERGE OF DEATH. SHE TOOK THE LION HOME WITH HER AND NURSED IT BACK TO HEALTH.LATER, WHEN THE LION WAS BETTER, SHE MADE ARRANGEMENTS WITH A ZOO TO TAKE THE LION. SOME TIME PASSED BEFORE THE LADY HAD A CHANCE TO VISIT THE ZOO. THIS VIDEO WAS TAKEN WHEN THE WOMAN WALKED UP TO THE LIONS CAGE TO SEE HOW HE WAS DOING. WATCH THE LION'S REACTION WHEN HE SEES HER !!!!!

Parag
Glad you found this and posted it for all of us to see. This is indeed a much appreciated change after a series of some other gruesome posts and discussions.

To me a happy and compassionate lion looks much better than a dead bear.

morevalue
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by morevalue » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:26 pm

I am the resident of Koyna. We are project affected people...

Part of our villages already rehabilitated during Koyna dam extension.. We also lost our farm land during the course.

Now once again due to this Sahyadri Tiger Project we are going to kick out from our ancient and historic land..

For your information..
We are not tiger hunters. Since so many years we people and not the government have protected this forest.
People in this locality does not have tendency to sell the trees to the Vakhar wala or coal agencies.
Our demand is that the project should go but not at the cost of the human..
The fact of the tiger census: You know very well that Govt. needs figures and the government people given wrong figure of tigers in this area to protect themselves. As per villagers only two tigers found in this area.

We people of Koyna Khore (upto Shindi) strongly oppose the vacation of villages for this project. These villages should be removed from the Sahyadri Tiger Project.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:56 am

Hello Morevalue,
I would like to know more about your situation. I will pm you my number , do call.
Best Regards

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:58 am

Progress At Last!
To all my friends, here's wishing you all a Very Happy New Year. Now to get to the point- I have finally clinched a deal for 3 acres of land, with a magnificent scenic view and will be the staging point for our NGO. Those of you who would like to be on the board of this NGO are welcome to come forward. Mind you, we need people who can seriously contribute (knowledge and time wise) to this project, on a fairly regular basis.
Photographs of this site (3 acres) will be posted shortly.
Best Regards

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:55 pm

hvj, can you please let me know what exactly interested people can do to help this NGO. I mean from a distance, people who live far away

Secondly what is the joining process

I genuinely want to know what all is required. Thanks.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:21 am

Hi Rajat,
How distant will you be mate? :D The joining process is very simple, if I like your style, then you get to join 8) . Thus far, your thoughts and attitude are in synch with mine, what we need to do is to look for other such like minded fellows. O.K. Mate, to start with I have to register the NGO. I have the charter but have had no time to get around to developing it. Will do so the moment my house is completed in Satara (By 1st May).
Best Regards

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:21 pm

hvj1

Hearty Congratulations....That's a good start.

M.
hvj1 wrote:Progress At Last!
To all my friends, here's wishing you all a Very Happy New Year. Now to get to the point- I have finally clinched a deal for 3 acres of land, with a magnificent scenic view and will be the staging point for our NGO. Those of you who would like to be on the board of this NGO are welcome to come forward. Mind you, we need people who can seriously contribute (knowledge and time wise) to this project, on a fairly regular basis.
Photographs of this site (3 acres) will be posted shortly.
Best Regards
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:19 pm

hvj, keep me informed. Thanks.

Tangosierra
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Tangosierra » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi hvj1,

I am very happy to know that somebody is really thinking of doing his bit for the conservation of tigers in sahyadri. This is a newly formed reserve and requires a lot of active involvement in stopping the activities against the conservation efforts. The guns are definitely not the solution, but even being a gun enthusiast you have chosen the path of peace, I appreciate your efforts. We have a small group involved in the research and conservation of Tigers since one and half years. we have done some activities in Ranthambore, Sariska and Corbett for understanding the conservation work being done by Few NGOs. We are eager to know what are the problems in the Sahyadri Tiger reserve and what would be the best solution. How can we contribute to resolve. I have gone thru the blog but If you can help us in giving some idea about what exactly you are going to do. I would love to join your group and do my bit for this cause.
I wish you all the best, may god give you all the strength you need to the save Tigers

Tangosierra

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:19 pm

Hello Tangosierra,
First and foremost, I need people like you to COME and TELL us WHAT to do. I have only good intentions, backed up with some action. In the next three months, I shall be in a position to invite you for a meet at Satara, where we can all get together to first and foremost get to know each other. I am in the process of flattening out part of a hill property I have recently acquired. On this flattened piece of land (I/2 acre), I plan to buld at least One cottage and put up at least two tents.
In the process of acquiring electricity connection, a tubewell (already identified two borehole sites through water diviner). We have constructed a gate and working on getting the entire fencing done. This is just the begining....
I leave tomorrow from ahmednagar to Satara,to supervise the bulldozer, Excavators and tractors, will return late at night or camp under the stars......Then next day head back to ahmednagar.....
Hope to hear more regularly from you mate.
:D Best Regards