Lets talk about Big Bore 300 M event

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
amer4545
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Lets talk about Big Bore 300 M event

Post by amer4545 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Lets talk about Big Bore 300 M event held every year in Indore. There is an enormous interest in this event and each year the participation is increasing and this platform should become a go to place for those who have participated in this event, those who train for this event and for whose who would want to participate in it.

Some shooter have said that big bore match sounds like a Gazal with the big guns singing, some have said that the smell of gun power gets their adrenalin flowing and some have taken the big bore event as a personal challenge, end of year achievement and what not.

So lets talk about Big Bore on the following lines.

a.What is big bore event, some history, when does it take place
b. Pre-requisites in taking part in it, what kind of membership is required, previous scores, etc
c. Equipment requirement - What kind of weapon, ammo, sights, slings, jackets, iris discs, spotting scopes, gloves, mats
d. Training requirement - Exercises, cardio, shooting practices, zeroing, mental exercises
e. Postures, positioning
f.high-low of the event, what to expect

Just so it is easy for readers to follow on your experience or advise, please mention the topic in CAPs and talk on the subject.
Hope to hear from all the IFG'ians on Big Bore.

Thanks all
Amer

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Lets talk about Big Bore 300 M event

Post by MoA » Tue May 11, 2010 11:31 pm

Pre-requisites: Well a rifle in a caliber with some accuracy at 300 M would be it. Sights: Any non-optical I believe.
A sling, jacket, Pants, Shoes, Sling et al would be good to have.

Postures: 3 Position, a coach would do better explaining that.

Practise: How much ammo do you have? What type of rifle? How many barrels? Ideally you would want something like a Keppler, or Gruning and Elmer in 6 mm BR and at least 2 barrels a year + 1 Competition barrel. In terms of ammo for real competitive shooting my guess is if you're shooting out 2 barrels a year at least, then a minimum of 3000 rounds a year. Ideally hand loaded, if not then you choice is limited to either Lapua or Norma. These sell for well over $1 a round even in Europe. :cheers:

amer4545
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by amer4545 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:35 am

The biggest challenge is practice and you cannot practice shooting big bore rifles. I dont know any range in Hyderabad where you can practice big bore at 100M or 200M.
Cant practice at a lot of farms, the noise will start objections. So what is the best practice method.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed May 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Well in that case, it is pretty much a pip[e dream then. No equipment, ammo, or range. How do you think you're going to compete in ISSF?

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed May 12, 2010 4:12 pm

Whoa MoA, we are I think talking about the Big GAME kind of event planned for sometime this year,a first for India.Wish i was there :oops:
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Amer, Shutzen, an ex member who shot big bore, when he was with us, wrote extensively on preparing for the event, in the Indian context.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=15
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2005

Ignore the bickering in the posts.......obviously
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."