Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by brihacharan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:26 pm

Guys,

hvj1 wrote > For AR fiddle with clicks till you get it right.
This Q & A between reminded me of this incident that took place several years ago....
At a reception for David Ogilvy the doyen of advertising a few of us managed to entice him for a bit of Gup Shup with us....
It was then when one of our colleagues asked Ogilvy....Sir, could you tell us the secret of good copy writing.....
Ogilvy like the wry Scot he is said "PUT PEN TO PAPER!!!!!!!!
Briha

For Advertising mail webmaster
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:35 pm

Dear Brihji,
Putting pen to paper... err, lead into AP and thence into paper. No blending with Scotch - only pure German :-)

Dear Anand
Revisited your advice on breathing chart. Didn't want to write on it in the last post. Verification and repeated confirmation form basis of successful experimentation. I have since shifted to breathing as per the chart (4-5 breath cycles) since warming up to the practice efforts that will start from next month and from the basics. Results observed are pretty encouraging. Thank you very much for that key pointer.

Dear Guruji et al,

Getting back in the shape and trying to get back in the groove. Took to live fire about twice a week. Shoot about 20 max - sometimes 17 or 13. Now it's gonna be 20 at least next week on - will increase it gently till it reaches older levels. Have enough time till pre-nationals (Sept), so not overdoing it at start. Just enough to stay perked. Took to Yoga at Shri. Nikam Guruji's Shri. Ambika Yog Kutir. That's 2 hr/ 1 day/ week for 12 weeks. Follow it at home intermittently. Have to be more committed. Long distance scooter/ car drive/ ride still makes the body ache all over - so cut down on that travel. Planning to reduce weight by another stone by Sept this year. Now,

AR v/s AP shot placement -> Yes the sight settings shifted the AR shot group to the center of AR and AP targets. But I think I was unclear about my predicament. When my kids shoot they shoot above my group for the same settings. When I shift my groups up to the bulls eye, their groups shift further up. This is observed on AR and AP targets alike. Wonder why ? With the AP, the shots gets placed above the POA, as normal. So curious into this phenomenon. I suspect it could be the way image gets registered on my retina now with one eye open (AR) v/s both the eyes open (AP). Just making a note of how bodily attributes have changed over last few months. :-)

Will work on all the three aspects - Physical, Technical, Mental in next 6 months. With family commitments increasing by the day, have to be in top form anyway. Running 5 km at a stretch is one of the things in my "100 things to do before I die" list. ROTFL

dev/ jitu/ kshitij/ kishor/ (missing anyone here ?) - hope to see y'all at pre-nationals and nationals this year. :cheers:

regs
A.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:07 pm

Keep it up AGN.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:15 pm

Thank you Sir - :-)

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:29 am

Dear all,

1. Has any pistol shooter tried physiotherapy ?
2. Are there any specific exercises or routines ?
3. How many "sessions" does one need typically ?
4. Does electro-therapy help in long run or stays sustained over long duration ?

regs
A.
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Hey hvj. Was on complete hiatus from shooting as cancer was suddenly detected in my father's blood. Haven't touched the ap for more than a year. Finally his health has stabilised and yesterday went to pdra. Shot a 40 shot shoot. Scored 343. Need to start basics again. Please advise
Jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:05 pm

Hello Jitu,
Good to hear from you again, though I confess that I am not very regular here as is obvious. However, if you have my number please do call me for advise.
BR

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Dear Jitu & guruji.

So happy to see your mail,
For TOPS had grown pale,

Dev & Guru both irregular
No Tir or Jitu to go for shooter's jugular,

In spite attempt to kindle thread fire
By our fauzi Anand Nair,

Feeling grew of being cast away,
Been a while since I stood at shooting bay.

Time to drag out that concierge Tir,
Jitu to unleash his doubts - ek bar phir,

Guru to become regular in casting his eye,
So fools like me can keep asking "Why?"

regs
A.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:02 am

Hello AGN
I have started coaching a few kids at Satara. I have set up an Indoor Shooting range 3 lanes , you are most welcome to visit us and sort out your problems. Do call.
Best Regards

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:14 pm

hvj1 wrote:Hello AGN
I have started coaching a few kids at Satara. I have set up an Indoor Shooting range 3 lanes , you are most welcome to visit us and sort out your problems. Do call.
Best Regards
Thank you Sir for the offer. I definitely would want to pay a visit - if not just to meet and chat with you. However, family and personal commitments hold me back till Mar-Apr of next year. BTW, would you be making an appearance at MSSC or GVM this year ? I so, I can catch up at Mumbai. Have filled in the entries for both the event - yet to make up my mind on playing. Tried my hand at last MAWC - not great but surprisingly OK for expectation. Actually had a decent number of shots in #9 & #10. A few in white brought it all down. This time around had broken my glasses - just imagine the fanciful reasons I keep throwing up. ROTFL

I have one ready already for not playing the MSSC next week - injured my right wrist while wrestling with my 12-year old kiddo - the young man wrung it really bad; caught me off guard. Plus can not even prax till Sep 30th which gives me a session or two to squeeze in before the competition. So now main focus is on GVM next month. Let us see.

Hope Jitu's on track. Not heard from kshitij or kishor (guy from Pune) in a while. Hope we see grand opening of THE DEV RETURNS soon. ;-) :cheers:

regs
A.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:38 pm

Hello AGN,
Please call.
BR

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Dear hvj1, Tried calling again as advised but probably you were busy. Update from my side - Decided to play MSSC and did I ! Similar outcome as MAWC. So nothing wonderful to report. Hope the rest come up with good news. regs A.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:19 pm

A bit of update - played both MSSC & GVM. mid-80 only and consistently so in both. Had to change sights/ grip/ trigger setting just before both the events. That would have mattered but still I was drastically defunct in the "mehanat" department. Somehow I felt that zeal to excel was dim while I was playing my GVM this time. One thing is clear as daylight. Nothing beats well-defined plan covering technical, physical and mental attributes. Yogasan is good place to start. Will adhere to asan-pranayam as tailored at Shri. Ambika Yog Kutir. Plus Brihji had outlined some exercises some time back. Basics by hvj1 and breathing advice by Anand Nair is to be practised over and over. Hope 6 mth will make that difference. Meanwhile good luck to all. :cheers: regs, A.
PS: The old leaf sheds and the new leaf turns tomorrow... literally (y)

WilliamTell
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by WilliamTell » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Namaste, would someone please comment on RWS R10 Premium Match Pellets and Geco 500 (which I understand, are also by RWS).
I have a Steyr Evo 10 (mechanical trigger) - was wondering about the pellets best suited for for it. (forgive me if the topic has been covered elsewhere - but I have not come across any discussion on these two in my search.) Also, I have not yet participated in any qualifying competition (I believe there is such a thing - only after which I can register as a shooter with the MRA or the NRAI and participate in any/all tournaments) - any pointers about this? Thank you.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:56 am

Either of the pellets is good enough for a beginner, as regards registration with MRA, it is a simple task , go the MRA office and complete the necessary formalities.