Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by hvj1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:07 pm

jitu sati wrote:will start the fig 8s as per the schedule u have advised. iam already doing the abort procedure whenever i exceed my usual shot sequence by 2/3 sec. however then the worry remains that would i be able to complete the reqd shots within the stipulated time. hence the query of how much time one should ideally take for a shot totaly
jitu
For your information, the 60 shots match for ISSF Air Pistol men requires 1hr 45 minutes. If you stick to the time schedule given by me you will not have any problem.
Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:28 am

oh! i was under the impression that that alloted time was 1 hour and 30 min. however if i stick to ur schedule even that should be enough. so will check when i do the back to back session. till then i have started the fig 8 schedule as directed. first 40 done. no pain as yet. will do 60 today. i am trying to check SA when i take the pause in the white of the tgt.
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:31 am

jitu sati wrote:. i am trying to check SA when i take the pause in the white of the tgt.
jitu
Can you please explain this?

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:03 am

what i meant was i was trying to combine the figure eight ex with SA as advised by u earlier
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Ah OK

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:22 am

day before and yesterday have completed the 40 and 60 repetitions. touch wood no worrying pain. will rest today as suggested. then tomorrow will restart the figure 8s.
jtiu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Please tell me your percentage
Regards

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:58 pm

will do sir. the process of getting the sight on to the tgt in figure 8s and in the normal shooting i.e when taking the sights straight to the tgt area as advised , are quite different. i noticed that when i take the air pistol directly in normal shooting the drill a conscious effort needs to be made to keep the grip constant. as whenever i i actually shoot the grip tends to shift after a few shots probably due to reloading making different groups on the tgt. need to devp the practice of keeping the hold constant during real shooting
jitu

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:24 pm

hvj1 wrote:Hey Tingriman,
Good to see you here.
Regards

Dear Jitu Sati,
I can well imagine the scene in your house, they may be thinking that you have banged your head somewhere. That happens, I remember, pasting one at eye level in the toilet, (sitting on the throne). A guest once asked me very politely the meaning of the picture? ROTFL
There is much much more to it. Will dwell on it at greater length shortly.
Glad to see you persevering, make sure that the grip does not tighten.
Regards
Dear HVJ1,
I can't tell you how inspiring you have been. I have been waiting for my SteyrLP10 and not doing anything much but twiddling my thumbs at the delays from December 14 by Messrs Steyr," Ve are now shutting for the holidays." Now I am waiting for the good people at Postal Customs to send me the letter of torture. Just working on my fitness as I lapsed on it badly thru December and Jan. Thanks for the metal training part, that is what no one teaches for free. Once again I thank you for being so dilligent.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:38 am

Hi Dev,
Good to hear that your LP-10 is on its way. Believe me, though I personally shoot with the Morini, I am having second thoughts, since I started seriously shooting with the LP. Its a great great pistol and very user friendly unlike the morini which needs careful handling. Both are great thoroughbreds, the one can be tad frisky whereas the other (LP) will never waver.
There is lots more to come regarding mental training, I was wondering whether I should start a seperate thread on Mental Training since it has wide applications. Do advise.
Finally, if you have friends doing the ap event you can welcome them here, the more the merrier! Aur mujhe bada mazaa aata hai.
Regards

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:08 am

hey hvj can u please clarify my doubt too
jitu

-- Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:30 am --

oh forgot my other query. when i do my next back to back shooting what should be a reasonable score to expect with my present state of difficulties. atleast if i have a tgt then i would be able to motivate myself to push harder and practice more
plese oblige hvj
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:46 pm

Hello Jitu
As I mentioned to you, if you look for scores, then your attention will be diverted from your technique, the moment this happens your performance drops. Instead, concentrate on your box drill percentage since that will help you in focussing on technique, which leads to performance. The difference between the novice and the top shooter is the control on technique,which is to be executed from shot to shot. The top shooter focuses entirely on technique for each shot and trains himself to keep himself focused all the time on his technique shutting his mind from scoring. The novice and an average shooter is more concerned about his score hence his full attention is never given to correct shot execution. If you wish to be a top shooter, then you must train your mind and develop the good habit of focusing on technique.
My students train themselves to' NOT TO SCORE'. Even in practice matches, the scoring is done by me, not the shooter. You can also do the same, teach somebody to score your practice match correctly.
You must download the ISSF rule book and read the correct method of scoring and also the rules for conduct of the air pistol event.
Best

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:05 am

roger sir. will concentrate entirely on tech. let me take a leaf out of 3 idiots and pursue excellence. will keep u info about the changes in % of SA
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:48 am

OK JItu, dont forget to download the ISSF rulebook

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:55 pm

hvj1 wrote:Hi Dev,
Good to hear that your LP-10 is on its way. Believe me, though I personally shoot with the Morini, I am having second thoughts, since I started seriously shooting with the LP. Its a great great pistol and very user friendly unlike the morini which needs careful handling. Both are great thoroughbreds, the one can be tad frisky whereas the other (LP) will never waver.
There is lots more to come regarding mental training, I was wondering whether I should start a seperate thread on Mental Training since it has wide applications. Do advise.
Finally, if you have friends doing the ap event you can welcome them here, the more the merrier! Aur mujhe bada mazaa aata hai.
Regards
It is somewhere at postal customs. Need to go thru their whims and fancies to get the pistola out. Frankly, it has been so long that I have almost forgotten that I had ordered it. I quite loved the LP 10, its got a certain kiddie bling that appeals to me; man with the silver gun and all.

Please do start another thread on the mental aspect, cause IMHO that is the difference between a 9 and a 10. Pardon my ignorance if my thinking is wrong. Looking forward to more of your lessons. A few more chaps may be doing ap on the board but may not be writing in.

Regards and thanks,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.