Shooting in the Indian Context - As a sport and a career

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Shooting in the Indian Context - As a sport and a career

Post by sa_ali » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:11 pm

great write up. I dont know how i missed it for all this time.

For Advertising mail webmaster
chefafzal
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by chefafzal » Wed May 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi, Tenx that was indeed a very helpful spread you provided . I however need more advice from you and the others as well. I'm 28 yrs of age and was very fond of shooting ever since I was a kid. i have had a i wud say informal training from my uncle when i was around 8 - 10 yrs. I really would like to get all serious and make it big in 10m air rifle shooting. I honestly feel i have it in me. I couldn't practice earlier as my mom was against guns and stuff, to cut the long story short i don't want to waste my skill. ever since i was a kid my shots have been reasonably good. As of now I have a local .177 air gun which i had bought 4 yrs back for 1,000/- bucks.
Would like to know what type of gun i should buy now to practice. I was thinking of taking coaching at the Top gun institute at delhi for 7 days which they charge around 12,500/-.
For air gun I was confused whether to buy a national or IHP type gun or go for imported like Walther, FWB etc. But Imported as you are aware are highly priced. ( Pls help me out on the gun in detail )
And I guess we need a gun with Peep Sights . What would you recommend. And I'm in nagpur right now but plan to move back to Hyderabad as it is my home town and it has a shooting range as well for practice.
And a very important question : Do i need a licence for airguns li e national and for imported etc. pls advice.
and just so you know I'm currently working as a Executive Chef of a 5 star hotel.
Thanks.
Afzal Ali.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed May 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi.
Glad to hear about your confidence in yourself. Seriously wish you the very best :)

From what I read about you, the fact that you are open to new tips and learning should itself be your biggest strength. Here is what I can start you off with:
1. Import a good gun, if at all you want to get serious about it. These will surely cost a good bundle, ranging from 1 to 2 lakhs. If this is immediately not affordable, I suggest you stick to competition guns, and definitely the peep sight ones.
2. An option for you could be the IHP peep sight compressed air. See if you can order one directly from IHP, or even procure an used one. Once you get a good hang of the peep sight accuracy, trigger control, rhythm and position, you should go in for good clothing.
3. A good shooting kit of trouser, jacket and shoes should cost you about 30K from Capapie (Mumbai) or from Calcutta. Both of these are good enough for a long trip into your new career. Once you have clothing on, sports shooting becomes a different ball game.
4. As you get a good hang on peep sight shooting with proper clothing, you could consider import of a good PCP like Walther or Feiniwerkbau. You dont need a gun license but definitely need a cllub license to import. As you practice with match grade guns, the weight, recoil, trigger, balance etc., should have prepared you to handle these imported ones well. This meet a certain boom in your scores.
5. Match this with a Mavlankar and Nationals, so that you have atleast 1-2 months of good usage of your new imported gun. This will help achieve best scores in the matches by getting you adapted to the gun, as well as testing the gun well before hand. (never go into a competition with a brand new gun, or one that you have not got used to)
6. TopGun training at 12550 is fine, but also think if you have better usage for that money... like maybe a new jacket. You can always find good shooters to observe you, and practice alongwith.
7. As a plan B, you can also start off with guns in a club, and slowly amass enough balance to purchase the right gun. But dont bother with wrong investments on jackets and pants. These are custom made and once you order them, you cannot find buyers. But in the case of guns, you will always find someone looking out for second hand guns.
8. Plan C, which most love to do, is settle for an imported cheaper versions, like a Daisy Powerline, which is a springer and comes with peep sight. All said and done, the combination of springer, its recoil, harder trigger, etc, will never develop a proper rhythm fit enough for competitions. But owing to affordability, you can still begin with importing a Powerline or an TechArms peep sight.
9. Peep sight rifles also require some more adaptations like gloves, inserts, etc. It is best to just observe some one who is already knee deep into this line, to ask questions and see what all is required. This sums up to a 'Shooting Kit', and is quintessential for great shooting. Plan and slowly accumulate a good shooting kit. Have the right stuff, which will unfailingly support you on the long run. Think anywhere from 1 to 4 years. I dont know you personally to give a better gauge of your sports timelines, but if after 4 years, you are not learning, then its time you tried something else.
10. Last and most important tip is to develop a proper training and shooting rhythm. This requires dedicated time sense, despite whatever mood you have at that time. Make a schedule, with very small achievable goals, and even if it means having to let go of a sudden date with that hot chick, make the schedule most important. This will greatly help in preparing the mind and body, create a competition environment, etc. Every training session, plan to achieve or observe something. Be hungry for new information and dare to try out changes. One day you sleep well and shoot, while other days, you have a little warm up and shoot. Sometimes you sip water while shooting, and sometimes you observe how long you go on without drinking water thru practice. Sometimes you change fore sight inserts, and sometimes you shoot on a blank piece of target. Keep checking, training, learning, training, sacrificing, training, discussing, training, researching, training, and more training. Aim to improve yesterday's score, or last week's grouping (forgetting score). One fine day, you will see regular 98s and 99s.... thinking about what made you miss out the last series 100.
All the best and ping me if I can help more.

TenX
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

varunik
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by varunik » Wed May 02, 2012 5:03 pm

@TenX

I hear every one talking about the IHP compressed air rifle.
But what about the PCP one?? The last one in the products list at IHP website.
A post on IFG says it was for 12k, 2 years back, I would be around 15k by now.
Whats your opinion about it?
Has anyone ever used IHP PCP?
So many times, it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge
Of our rival
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night
And he's watching us all with the
Eye of the tiger

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed May 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi,
The PCP is a very old model, unable of compensating to suit the user. This means that the rifle should allow adaptations of stock and cheek rest for the user to get into a custom comfortable position, which the PCP lacks. The cost difference between them is not too enormous, but the customization that the Compressed Air allows, is far superior. Also, in PCPs, constant side lever action can surely tire particular muscle groups, which serious shooters should avoid.
I have used and known several IHP PCP users, and most wish they had sought better. Many get into mechanical problems, and fret for long. Given the low range of availability of models in India, even the PCP has a long waiting list..... but thats India for you :)

TenX
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

chefafzal
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by chefafzal » Wed May 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Thankx a Lot Tenx really appreciate it. Just one thing when you said " the IHP peep sight compressed air " you meant the National Compressed air rifle from IHP right ?

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed May 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Yup :)

IHP (Indian Hume Pipes) is the company that makes the "National" brand air guns.

TenX
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Wed May 30, 2012 3:03 pm

TenX,

Great write up. I just got in touch with Capapie and they've sent a quote- looks like an economical Indian bet. Are open sight events still continuing at GVM and NationalsIf not- then technically open sight events will not lead to renowned shot status. Or am I holding the wrong end of the stick and just misconstruing information I picked up?

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed May 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi SS.
Glad you enjoyed the read.
Open sights for rifles go upto GV Mavlankar only. Post that the road is only for Peep Sights.
However, all pistol events are always open sight.

If its competitive rifle shooting you are after, start and stick with Peep Sights. However, I must say there is a bigger fun world with open sights, which all hobbyists will enjoy, albeit not on the Olympics route :)

TenX
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Wed May 30, 2012 7:44 pm

TenX wrote: However, I must say there is a bigger fun world with open sights, which all hobbyists will enjoy, albeit not on the Olympics route :)

TenX
Cannot agree with you more! Thanks for the clarification.

luckycute
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by luckycute » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:51 am

Tenx got a good idea on air rifle shooting as a sport or as a career on your post and Article. I am very kin on learning this things

I was Interested in shooting from my early age with body building too, I go for air rifle shooting at any fare or Mela (locally) with Rs. 5 for 4 Shots. So, now i am very kin to join a shooting club and start in broad way, i.e 1st of all like to start from Guwahati (as i am from Assam).

Will you give me some Idea how to Start in begining, as i don't want to go for a expensive begining but I will
opt or start my expensive in my later days.

so pls suggest me regarding:
1. Joining of Rifle or shooting club.
2. Licensing if required for Air Guns.
3. Licensing for Shot gun if necessary .
4. Choosing Air Guns i.e types and made (not expensive as i said, will go for expensice in later period ).
5. Coach.
6. Dresses.

Will be grateful to receive your comments n suggestion.
with regards
Luckycute

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi...

Lemme give you some brief on your questions, although I must say they are not the best questions you could have asked :)

1. Joining of Rifle or shooting club.
Joining a club is not a must, if you dont really plan to make a career in shooting. However, joining a club does have its own advantages. You can either join a state/district club or join the NRAI. The latter will help in practice at all affiliated clubs all over India. Joining a club will help in using their equipment, like guns, for your practice.
Some clubs have requirements of papers/verifications, while others may seem costly. One big advantage of practicing in a club is to shoot next to contenders, which will help in cultivating a match atmosphere.

2. Licensing if required for Air Guns.
Nope.... None required. However, for importing good air guns, a club membership is a must.

3. Licensing for Shot gun if necessary .
Definitely required. Please approach local commissioner to file papers for a license. Once you get your license, you may have about 6 months to procure a gun. If not, please re-approach for an extension. Post that, the license becomes void.

4. Choosing Air Guns i.e types and made (not expensive as i said, will go for expensice in later period ).
Air guns range from 3K to 3 Lakhs, depending on your requirement. If you want to take it along to the Olympics, only the very best, like the Walther LG300 or the FWB 800/700 will do. To begin with, anything is OK. If you have a chance, please start off with a goo imported one, like the Crosman Challenger, available for about 40+K landed in India, ordered online thru Pyramydair.com, gunsofarizona.com. etc. Strongly suggest to NOT start with Indian makes, like the IHP break barrel. You will learn a lot of things which you will again have to un-learn in due course.

5. Coach.
Very very important, although now-a-days I am seeing all toms, dicks and harrys who know 30+ words in shooting taking up a position of coach. A coach requires an exceptional eye and creative knowledge to find a problem, and then its solution. Experience, blah blah is a must.... but seemingly, it seems that older men and those who can brag well fill up such posts. Mind you... a bad coach is worse than a bad wife!
If and when you find a coach, please realize he has taken over your shooting lifestyle. Yours is to forget all logic and just listen. If the coach is really good, you will see great results :)

6. Dresses.
Very much required. Contact Kolkatta guys for a good deal and quality. Capapie was making some good stuff, but they are too commercialized and big for me to suggest them. I have shifted all my recommendations to Shyamal Das - www.probhatudyog.com. If you call him, refer me as Anand from K.S.R.A, Karnataka.

All the best and I do hope you make my words into performance ;)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

luckycute
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by luckycute » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:19 pm

@Tenx

Thanks for your valuable comments and advice . .. .Although my questions are not upto mark but I hd found all my needy data in your Answers . . ..I will Definetly turn your words into my perfomance. . .
Hope to get Your advices and comments in near future . I remain.
with regards
Luckycute

luckycute
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by luckycute » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:45 pm

@Tenx

what are the terms and condition for using/ importing foreign made airguns in India.
with regards
Luckycute

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Should be of .177 caliber if importing. However, owing other calibers is also legal.
Should be imported in the name of club member, who should also be the payee for the same, shipped to his/her address, as mentioned in the club card.
Should pass the 'Deal Test', which is to verify that the gun is less destructive ans should abide by sports shooting standards. However, I doubt if that is being done.
Better if the gun has the caliber printed on its barrel.
Scopes are not permitted alongwith. However, a certain number of pellets can be imported, which remain, by far, under the personal perusal of the investigating customs officer. I have known some who got in 10 tins, while others with just two tins were confiscated.
Better to also order some accessories and any parts alongwith. Getting them at a later point of time can be a challenge.
Using them is OK as long as it is not carried or displayed in any way that can be considered 'Brandishing'.
Use with caution and keep 3 things in mind:
Always know what your target is, and do not aim or put your finger on the trigger until you are sure of that.
Always know what is behind the target, and use caution while shooting
Always ensure there are no obstacles or anything between you and the target.

Matter of fact, there is just one rule - Use Responsibly' ... and if you realize that, all other rules, generic and circumstantial will be 'known' to you ;)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------