DSRA pulled up for hiking fees

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
kanwal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

DSRA pulled up for hiking fees

Post by kanwal » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:00 pm

DSRA targets hapless shooters, NRAI guns for its state unit

Navneet Singh
New Delhi, January 8

The National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) has taken a serious view of the recent developments that led to the Delhi shooters en masse changing their loyalty to other states.

The just-concluded national championships in Ahmedabad saw several top Delhi shooters turning out for other neighbouring states and winning medals. The reason for the shift was the reported demand by the Delhi State Rifle Association (DSRA) of a lifetime membership fee of Rs 7,500 from each shooter if he or she wanted to compete under DSRA.

Unable to pay the fee, several shooters preferred the shift than toeing the line of DSRA and even proved their worth by winnings medals at the Ahmedabad meet. Ever since the matter reached the NRAI precincts, the national body has already warned the Delhi body to be wary of its functioning.

"It's a serious matter. Delhi isn't encouraging shooters. The state body needs to function properly so that shooters don't leave for the other states," said NRAI secretary Baljeet Singh Sethi.

Once a dominant force in national competitions, Delhi drew a blank and Sethi was reflecting after the state's showing at the meet. The NRAI secretary, lamenting the sorry state of affairs, said the state body should work for the betterment of the sport and take corrective steps to encourage the upcoming shooters. "If they don't do that, it will be difficult for them to win any medal in national competitions," he added.

The state unit has an office at the Dr Karni Singh Shooting Ranges at Tughlakabad but it's not functional. "The office should be opened on a regular basis," said Sethi. But DSRA president Harinder Singh Bedi, who was re-elected recently, said all was well with the state unit. "We even have a programme for school students," he said.

Asked why the DSRA enhanced the life membership fee from Rs 1,000 to Rs 7,500, the main reason for shooters leaving en masse to the other states, Bedi said the fee was nominal. "It (fee) is absolutely nominal. If someone can't afford it, then shooting isn't the discipline to pursue," Bedi was categorical.

Bedi also said that a shooter was eligible to represent Delhi only if he or she became a life member. But since many haven't renewed their membership, Delhi do not have a team worth its name to fetch medals in national competitions.

As for the enhancement of the fee, Bedi said the money was being utilised for the development of the sport. "We try to help shooters to prepare themselves for the national competitions," he said.

But one look at the final report card of the Ahmedabad meet is enough to show which way Delhi shooting is heading.

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:34 am

upto form, I see!
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:22 pm

"Right now the peasants shall be kept in their rightful place. Tally Ho old sport is that a fox I spy...concluded Mr. H.S. BERI."

So they admit that shooting is only for the elite. And they wonder why Delhi State shooters are non-existent.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.