Seeking Advice Shooting Career

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Bau003
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Seeking Advice Shooting Career

Post by Bau003 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:13 pm

I am father of 12 yrs old dreaming that She will make big in this sports.With this dream I make her join nearby shooting academy.

She is in open air rifle for 3 months. I bought perfect10 clothes for her based on academy request. They said there is no future in open air so from today onward I put her in Peep rifle shooting.

I searched online and this is the only place related to rifle shooting I read Tenx article as well.

Starting this thread to request fellow members for guidance in future for queries and other things.

I will be extremely grateful to you all 🙏🙏🙏

For Advertising mail webmaster
drshamsherrana
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Seeking Advice Shooting Career

Post by drshamsherrana » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:47 pm

is your daughter is really interested in the shooting sport?
sport is sport,it require lots of passion and hard work.
my best wishes

hornet22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet22 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:59 am

Open sight matches are only up to GV Mavalankar championship 🏆, Mavalankar is also the qualifying stage for the Nationals for the peep sight shooters.

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:23 pm

I will advise you against dreaming for your daughter. I've seen first hand how such parental expectations reduce the sport to the value of a mere medal and absolutely ensure that kids perform as worse as they can. Kids who are made to compete almost always end up more worried about disappointing their parents than shooting and having a good time (which is crucial to performing well). Let her have a go at it first. Between open and peep sights, only peep sight rifles are in ISSF governed competitions, but, they are also extremely demanding. Why not let her try pistol and rifle both?

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:54 pm

partheus wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:23 pm
I will advise you against dreaming for your daughter. I've seen first hand how such parental expectations reduce the sport to the value of a mere medal and absolutely ensure that kids perform as worse as they can. Kids who are made to compete almost always end up more worried about disappointing their parents than shooting and having a good time (which is crucial to performing well). Let her have a go at it first. Between open and peep sights, only peep sight rifles are in ISSF governed competitions, but, they are also extremely demanding. Why not let her try pistol and rifle both?
Wow! Here's some wisdom, for sure!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:50 pm

partheus wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:23 pm
Wise words.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Bau003
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Bau003 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:27 pm

Thanks to community. Feedback learnt. I will ensure that I let her enjoy the sport .

She had interest in Shooting and Archery. Since there was no nearby Archery academy we ended up with Shooting.

It was all casual for couple of months but her coach said She has potential.

She shot 271 in open air without any shooting dress.

I will keep updating her progress and any suggestions from community on this thread

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:23 pm

She certainly has the talent. But like any competitive sport, it demands dedication and sacrifice. My best wishes for her new journey.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Bau003
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Bau003 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:17 pm

Is it required to buy Peep rifle? Academy is saying to buy 1 second hand rifle.

The reasoning they gave is Since few students are using same rifle they need to change setting so far better growth new rifle is necessary.

Is it true?

hornet22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet22 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:28 pm

Don't buy a rifle right now since your daughter is quite young and you will have to see how she performs in competitions so it is better to use the academy's rifle for the time being.

Later if you see potential in her then you can buy her a rifle

Also wanted to add that Pistol shooting has an advantage that the shooter does not require any special kit like the shooting pants or jackets like the rifle shooter so keep that in mind

Bau003
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Bau003 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:02 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:03 pm

Keeping your daughter's age in mind,I suggest that you let your daughter go upto Mavlankar ( AIGVM).
This will build a firm foundation for shooting as it is done without any shooting apparel and related gizmos which are very expensive.
After going upto AIGVM and winning medals, she can start with peepsight with confidence.
God bless your kid

Bau003
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Bau003 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:11 pm

Thanks for suggestions. Never expected such warm responses. Over last one month things moved like

1. Registration with State and NRAI started.Thoihh have not received the cards

2. Found one website Kiehberg which sales pellets in cheaper rate compared to Academy.Academu charges 850 for Geco diabolo same in website at 555.

So can I buy from above website is it real and will the pallets work. Someone told all bullets will not work in Rifle.

hornet22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet22 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:55 pm

Rifle association members are provided with pellets and ammunition at reasonable rates for practice and competition by the association.

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:56 pm

Bau003 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:11 pm
Thanks for suggestions. Never expected such warm responses. Over last one month things moved like

1. Registration with State and NRAI started.Thoihh have not received the cards

2. Found one website Kiehberg which sales pellets in cheaper rate compared to Academy.Academu charges 850 for Geco diabolo same in website at 555.

So can I buy from above website is it real and will the pallets work. Someone told all bullets will not work in Rifle.
AFAIK, a membership card isn't required to compete. Only a shooter id/membership number is needed which you get after registering with your state rifle association.

Kiehberg is legit. I got all my ware from them. Although, they are actually on the pricier side though you can bet the pellets are originals. Way back, I got my pellets from sellers in Meerut. A tin of RWS R10 would cost me 400ish if I bought a set of ten tins. I will suggest you look for options, but lately, I am hearing that individual sellers have started casting their own pellets and selling them in branded tins, so, do be cautious.

The pellet tin will clearly say whether it's meant for rifles or pistols.