best way to practice at home, your stance while shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
hb
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

best way to practice at home, your stance while shooting

Post by hb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 am

what is the best way to practice at home, your stance without a air rifle

For Advertising mail webmaster
doctor
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: best way to practice at home, your stance while shooting

Post by doctor » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:46 pm

there is no way you can practice your stance without a rifle....
best replacement ......use a bamboo... :mrgreen:

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:28 pm

or a broom stick. or a bat
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 pm

What is the point of practicing your stance , at home or range , without your firearm / air guns ?
Just make sure , they ( firearms / air guns ) are unloaded and uncocked , and don't dry fire . You will be good to go .

FN-Five-Seven
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:54 pm

hb wrote:what is the best way to practice at home, your stance without a air rifle
Dear hb, the purpose of practicing on a stance is primarily to develop balance and muscle memory. Without a "suitable" prop, only standing would be worthless. Might take up Yoga or Tai-chi instead. :-) Anyway next best bet would be a "seasoned" cricket bat of around 3-4kg, but then how will you practice sight alignment ? Get a (relatively) cheap AR or a dummy gun (I have heard but not yet seen that dummy pistols with dry fire capability come for around Rs. 3K) - observe all the safety rules, as advised do *not* dry fire in caes of real AR and use that for developing the stance. Good luck. :cheers: regs, A.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:48 am

I would suggest using the "instrument" you intend to use in competition, etc. The actual air rifle, pistol, whatever. Because the balance of every air rifle (and every piece of manufactured gizmo, widget....) differs, not only from brand to brand, but from piece to piece. With guns, the balance point, thickness of the grip, length of the stock, distance of trigger from the grip, dimensions of the sights, alignment of the barrel, etc. etc. etc. will differ. Even the most advanced machining processes will have some fits & tolerances (for both engineering and financial reasons). Each discrepancy can be a few millimetres, maybe micrometers in case of the internals of the air gun, but totalling up, they may be significant enough to impact your shooting.

Unless you get a dummy with the exact dimensions and weight distribution (not merely total weight) as your actual "piece", your muscles will develop all the wrong memories, leading to performance even worse than one without such practice!

As advised above - ensure the airgun is unloaded, do not dry fire, etc. etc.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Why dont you simply practice with the Air Rifle-----------?,Worst case- your neighbors rat you out to the COPs,show them the bloody think,its not a AK,or a UZI. Benefits-if some thieves see you they will stay away from your place------Saamp bhi maar gaye,lathi bhi nahin tuti

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:51 pm

You are talking of 10mtr air rifle shooting right ?
What is it you are trying to achieve ?
Please reply back in detail so I can help.

M.
hb wrote:what is the best way to practice at home, your stance without a air rifle
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

hb
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by hb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:07 pm

i would like to practice my stance as this is the key in air rifle shooting. cant afford a match air rifle and dont get time to go to club, this may keep me connected.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:50 pm

You can practice the off hand stance without air rifle to find which muscles are active and which are under tension when you make an effort to stand still as much as you can. You'd be surprised to know and discover as to how difficult it is. Your body does not want to be absolutely still.

Having said that, the tensions on your body with and and without the rifle will be different. Resulting in different levels of movement of your body which you must aim to minimise. And you want to feel those movements and attempt to minimise those movement while holding the air rifle.

You must put emphasis on practicing your off hand stance and holding with the air rifle you shoot with. Its the only way to go.

Yes shooting is always equipment intensive and hence expensive. But that is how it has always been.

M.

hb wrote:i would like to practice my stance as this is the key in air rifle shooting. cant afford a match air rifle and dont get time to go to club, this may keep me connected.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:24 pm

I daresay Old Chap, while you are practising your stance without an air rifle, you could also practice climbing the podium to receive your Olympic Medal.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:22 pm

hvj1 wrote: I daresay Old Chap, while you are practising your stance without an air rifle, you could also practice climbing the podium to receive your Olympic Medal.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:31 pm

hvj1 wrote:I daresay Old Chap, while you are practising your stance without an air rifle, you could also practice climbing the podium to receive your Olympic Medal.
lol
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Why exactly do you want to practice without an air rifle? Get some air rifle first and practice with it. I can't imagine why you want to buy a match rifle as your first rifle when you believe that you still need to practice your stance. Your stance has everything to do with the weight of the rifle in your hands and the feel of it against your cheek. If you are going to simply imagine all that then you might as well imagine the stance too.

My grandmother (who had a sense of humour) used to claim that there was a song in Tamil that went
"Adi" endruthukke avale illai
pillai pere Ramkrishna
Which is roughly transtaled as:
"i have no one to call as my wife"
"But I have decided to name my son Ramkrishna"

This stance without rifle business sounds a bit like that.

karmveer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by karmveer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:35 pm

gulli danda khelo mere bhai
:lol: