big bore rifles faqs for a beginner.

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

big bore rifles faqs for a beginner.

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:44 pm

thanks a ton Mack The Knife. everything was ot and ott. we needed this.

ALL moderators Please take note: PLEASE start another category:
arguments subcategories childish arguments and nonsense.
by the looks of this we really need it. or plz gimme a temporary previlage of doing it. or else plz cut paste ALL the 'polite conversation' into the arguments dept.
im sure its gonna win hands down in all the categories in the stats division.

i refuse to believe ANY person who shoots no matter how renowned can loose his cool. hats off to everyone who can get good scores with this level of self control, patience, dicipline.
as i say again, the losers are people like me who are trying to learn something and get their facts right/ questions answered.

mundaire tried his best to split the nana..... thread. but .......
so here i am again, back to square one.
for the sake of continuity, i am copying and pasting the previous questions.(minus the little courtsies.)

EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO ANSWER> SHUTZEN, MEHUL, GRUMPY, SUKH, MUNDAIRE, ALL OTHER moderators, ALL MEMBERS.

NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER. (lest i start another row.)
Last edited by shooter on Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

For Advertising mail webmaster
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:45 pm

hey shutzen and mehul
i want to know more about rifle shooting from a renowned shot.
i am uninformed.
the only thing i know is to line both sights to the target exhale twothirds and squeeze the trigger gently.

i also realise that even this might be wrong and it would be comparable to antonio benderas' dialouge in zorro when the senior zorro askes him what he knows about sword play and he replies that the pointed end goes into the other man.
instead of wasting your time on this could both of you please answer my basic questions:

1 what are the basic categories in rifle shooting viz bore and range type (rim/centre fire), position of body(benchrest/prone/standing)

2 how many shots does one fire?

3 how is the scoring done?

4 how big is the bulls eye in diff. competitions.

5 what is an average score that is considered good, good enough to be renowned shot in india/ good enought to be renowned outside/ good enough to win an international medal.

i have more questions and will ask you once i know the answers to these.

and please try give me simple/basic answers so that the 'uninformed' can understand.
thanks

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:49 pm

SHOTZEN wrote:

well HI! shooter we all r when we start but over a period of time depending on your passion for the sport and after being xposed to the system and the babus u smarten up heres my one rupee worht - Mehul can chip in with his $

Quote: › ‹ Select ›‹ Expand ›
the only thing i know is to line both sights to the target exhale twothirds and squeeze the trigger gently.

well u r getting there already -

1 what are the basic categories in rifle shooting viz bore and range type (rim/centre fire), position of body
(benchrest/prone/standing)

In both rimfire and centre fire there r two types of matches conducted in India as per ISSF rules:
Rimfire : 50 meter prone and 3 position
centrefire: 300 meter prone and 3 position

In prone position u lie prone on the ground facing ur target with a sling around ur left arm attached to the forend of ur rifle and the rifle rests on ur left hand palm and u shoot. In standing u shoot standing straight without sling. in kneeling u have the sling attached and shoot resting ur elbow on ur front knee facing the target

2 how many shots does one fire?

Both Rimfire & centre fire prone : u fire 60 record shots & "Unlimited" sighters in 1 hour and 15 min. the unlimited is a misnomer as the time taken to fire the sighter is part of the match time only so u see ppl firing anywhere from 8-20 sighter shots.

3 position : Rimfire and centre fire free rifle : 40 shots each from prone , standing and kneeling position in a approx 3 hrs.
In standard rifle u shoot 40 shots in each postion in 2 hours

3 how is the scoring done?

The targets have the scoring rings printed on em and whichever ring ur shot hits is your score out of 10 for that shot.
Since u fire 60 record shots for the comp the score is out of 600.

4 how big is the bulls eye in diff. competitions.

50 M rifle its 10mm the size is as below - do ur math

10 Ring 10.4 mm (±0.1 mm ) 5 Ring 90.4 mm (±0.5 mm )
9 Ring 26.4 mm (±0.2 mm ) 4 Ring 106.4 mm (±0.5 mm )
8 Ring 42.4 mm (±0.2 mm ) 3 Ring 122.4 mm (±0.5 mm )
7 Ring 58.4 mm (±0.5 mm ) 2 Ring 138.4 mm (±0.5 mm )
6 Ring 74.4 mm (±0.5 mm ) 1 Ring 154.4 mm (±0.5 mm )

300 M rifle its 100 mm the size is as below:

10 Ring 100 mm (±0.5 mm ) 5 Ring 600 mm (±3.0 mm )
9 Ring 200 mm (±1.0 mm ) 4 Ring 700 mm (±3.0 mm )
8 Ring 300 mm (±1.0 mm ) 3 Ring 800 mm (±3.0 mm )
7 Ring 400 mm (±3.0 mm ) 2 Ring 900 mm (±3.0 mm )
6 Ring 500 mm (±3.0 mm ) 1 Ring 1000 mm (±3.0 mm )

5 what is an average score that is considered good, good enough to be renowned shot in india/ good enought to be renowned outside/ good enough to win an international medal.

Now with the new rule comming in :
Prone
50 Meter - 560
300 meters - 475

3 position is diff just chk the match book for it
Winning medals is relative - right now wud b premature for u to think on those lines. U cud get one at 580 also and might not get it at 597 too... International - Forget it;)

i have more questions and will ask you once i know the answers to these.

no problems

and please try give me simple/basic answers so that the 'uninformed' can understand.
thanks

I hope the above r clear nough BTW dl the match book from the NRAI website and u will find the MQS and other details of the matches frm it.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:02 pm

Mehul wrote :

Shooter,

I have a few questions for you on the basis of which you could decide how to start shooting - do you plan on being in paper punching alone in ISSF competition or do you want to shoot to hunt as well? You have certain major advantages living in the UK in the sense that the choice in rifles, ammunition and equipment is vastly more than anyone in India could imagine. If it is paper punching then you could either work on the ISSF 50m or 300m matches. If you plan on hunting etc then there are considerably better choices in terms of preparatory rifle sports, equipment etc.

Personally, if you haven't got much rifle shooting, I would suggest starting off with a service rifle match and get some fun and experience shooting the Lee aEnfields, Mausers, Mannlichers etc from 100 to 300 metres. IMO the breathe in and let "x" amount of air out business is fine as long as you maintain consistency in how much air you let out. There is no magic formula of 1/2, 2/3rds or whatever - consistency is the key. From here you could switch to either ISSF matches or to more field oriented matches depending on what you want to do.

Also, if you're going to be hunting, you would need to be able to do offhand shooting either with shooting sticks or just your arms and body at different ranges without the support of a one point ISSF type sling. There are also differences in stance between ISSF style shooting and firing a sporting rifle with higher recoil - I have seen several idiots who have tried to shoot big bore rifles using the ISSF "support the forward elbow on the side" stance and get hurt and also drop valuable rifles and mar them. Again, not having hunted in the UK, I don't have much experience though I have heard that hunting guides there prefer scope sighted rifles, so my suggestion, if you want to participate in recreational or hunting use would be to start with a scope sighted rifle in the 243 to 30-06 class. These are mild in recoil and anyone can shoot them properly.

A good thing would be to take a little coaching - usually a one hour lesson is enough to begin and then you could learn as you go on. The best way is to shoot as much as possible. If you visit Chicago, you're more than welcome to shoot my riles and I could take you to some of the top coaches in this part of the world.

Cheers!

Shooter,

Just to add something - try and get a renowned shooter designation in any one field and import a gun in that - if you;re going to shoot more trap then become a renowned trap shooter and import a trap gun on that license when you return to India. And, since youl;re resident abroad, just take along a rifle on TR when you go. That way you wouldn't have to waste time on preparations for two completely different kinds of shooting and would still be able to enjoy both at your pleasure.

Cheers!

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:02 pm

Shutzen wrote:

sorry to dissapoint u Mehul - I think that the scenario has changed drastically since maybe u last competed. There is no restriction on the Rifle make type u can order as long as it fulfils certain criteria - which almost all BA rifles do and u can import any ammo. On any day at the Nationals the type of rifles u see represent probabbly the best in calss types these include both match and sniper grade rifles modified for match use like: tanner,alpine,kricho,blaser,keppeler,sig,grunig ..... there r also sevral shikari types last time one I remeber had a douglas barreled 06 and also one dude had a remington 700 . There were also a couple of guys having sporterized milsurp weapons springfields to b exact from the bangladesh war. Also M1 Garand converted to single shot . I dont see how anyone in britain would have a advantage over us in terms of rifles- remember u only need to know one rifle well enough to shoot it xtremly well and that the one which matters in the comp. the "armoury" stays home doing nothing

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:03 pm

penpusher wrote

Advantages of being in UK as opposed to being in India?Hmmm....No restriction on the number of rifles you can buy.No restriction on the ammount of ammo that you can buy.Easy availability of all international brands of rifles and ammunition that you can shoot in them to find out what suits that particular rifle best.All this at rates you would kill for in India.Easy to get guidance and training.Good gunsmiths coupled with availability of barrels ,triggers etc to keep your firearm in good nick.Best of all,no need to get a renowned shot certificate/jugaad and chummying up to slime b@ll$ passing off as shooting officiandos, to get all this.

Perhaps Grumpy can elaborate on the rifle shooting sport in UK.

penpusher

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:03 pm

Shooter wrote:

dear schutzen and mehul you both have been very kind. thanks for the answers.
before i ask more questions, i just want to warn mehul, i WILL take you up on that offer. as u might have noticed in my other posts, in my response to vikram, i have mentioned the same thing.
in fact since i was planning to visit us of a in jul, it was i who requested mundaire to call you . ( same missed call that you have referred to in post farewell mundaire.)

next, the way things look right now, ill be in uk for atleast 5 more years.

and yes i am fond of hunting and that is why i want to practice shooting.
i agree with the stance thing; in fact i dont even rest my elbow while shooting an airgun, lest i get used to it. and i also try to shoot standing uo without support.

schutzen thanks for your patience.
i think your replies were better than most sites.

also as i have mentioned in other posts,
i want all the answers to be present as a thread in one place so that other newcomers like me dont have to ask several people and visit different websites( plz see my other thresd introductions>> welcome dev vrat).

im sure this thread will prove helpful to other newcomers. thanks

what are the recommended/ allowed calibres in these competitions.

what are good, affordable/ available -both in india and abroad- rifles in each of these categories?
plz answer keeping in mind these answers are aimed at beginners/ newcomers/ first time buyers.

are scopes allowed? (silly question)

plz recommend some scopes. (see rifles question.)

mehul allthese questions are directed at you too (plus all the other ifg members)and please tell me some more about the practical diff. between hunting and competition shooting
thanks

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:04 pm

shutzen wrote:

quote="shooter";p="22174"]i think my recent questions got overlooked because of the flood of posts on the thread . so here goes.(again):

HI! Shooter this one I am pounding out again for you buddy * I hope this post sticks*

Gentlemen - I wish to point out that it feels slightly funny to keep posting in a thread entitled "Nana Pataker ...." I mean if the concerned party takes a peek at the thread he will surely not know what hit him anyways since this thread is ongoing so why not and here goes:

next, the way things look right now, ill be in uk for atleast 5 more years.
and yes i am fond of hunting and that is why i want to practice shooting.

Cool ! I suggest that u chk with ur local club (nearest to u) abt paid use of their rifles or chk at the Bisley big bore range regarding use of their target rifles. 5 years is a long time and u can have much fun competing in those 5 years . Well the hunting days r literally over in India - u can only shoot for pest control after getting a PERMIT from the wildlife deptt. Nowadays permits r issued for wild boar and Neelgai in our region. In various countries where a better regimented style of conservation is followed you can get permits for sevral types of game and have fun - But let me warn u that once you turn to dedicated competition shooting - I am talking from personal experience and a broad overview of the shooters I have come in contact with you will most likely give up hunting and enjoy just target shooting. Let me point out that however this is not a rule and rather a personal prefrence

i agree with the stance thing; in fact i dont even rest my elbow while shooting an airgun, lest i get used to it. and i also try to shoot standing uo without support.
practical diff. between hunting and competition shooting

Here I feel we have to understand the diffrences in competition shooting VS hunting l. I am posting what I have leart from exp. and from various other boards this comparison is however my idea of trying to clear the perspective:

1. In competition shooting you are shooting in a controlled ,higly competetive envirionment for score. The shooter is always concentrating on a known fixed target, at a fixed distance where he had zeroed his rifle during his sighting shots - He tries to remain calm and breathes in a manner where he can keep his heart rate under conrol. He tries not to hold his breath for more that maybe 7-9 seconds and tries to execute his shot before that- A good shooter will never try to keep holding his breath for extended periods like say 20 secs or 30-45 secs as this will starve the body of oxygen and this will lead increase in the heart rate -which will lead increase in blood pressure and this increase in BP will even cause the pupils of the eye to dilate otherwise the increaded heart rate will cascade into movement through pulse in the sling , sway while standing, - In short the groups will begin to open up - panic can set in triggering a rush of performance anxiety and adrenalin rush that can ruin the day. The process of loading ,aiming firing has to be done 60 times for record in an normal match + the sighters u fire for setting up all in one hour and 15 mn. time -so generally u haveto perform in a co-ordinated well rehearsed pattern. If the shot does not hit where u want it to u lose out on score and position and look forward to performing better and increasing your performance next time round.

2. In hunting you are trying to stalk and clobber game on foot or in a vehicle . If on foot you are already moving about in generally forest type terrain lugging the weight of your rifle and most of the time your heartrate is higher than normal in anticipation of spotting the quarry. The moment the quarry is spotted there is a adrenalin rush which puts the average hunter into hyperdrive mode then the fun starts : you try and guestimate the distance and try and figure your holdover or under. A good hunter will also try to figure wind and try to compesate for bullet drift at that range. Then comes the important decision of shot placement this decision dictates you to try and get in a postion to execute the shot. you may have to move left or right or lean over or just maybe bend your knees a little to get into proper position to execute your shot. In short in hunting generally the situation will dictate how you can best take the shot. While you are going through all this and the quarry is at a challanging distance a good hunter will also have it at the back of his mind that he should make a clean shot and the results of a mishit can be dangerous or lead to loss of the animal in the forest or a painful end for the animal where ever he loses enough blood to go into shock and die. For the hunter it is important that the one shot he takes goes where he wants and to do that there is no fixed "STANCE or ELBOW POSITION" you could execute a snapshot leaning or crouching forward -you could be taking a shot resting the rifle on your friends shoulder or you could have the support of a tree trunck or a vehicle - What matters in the end is taking a shot with ful confidence using whatever means of support time and situation allow for. eg. If I have lots of practice resting my elbow on the hip and shooting ( ISSF Standing shooting) and I get a chance I WILL use that position because I know the result of using that position and I can execute a better shot. If on the other hand I try a floating elbow shot I may not be very confidaent of my shot as the possibility for movement is greater when ur elbow is extended unsupported and secondly if in the exietment I jerk the trigger the possibility of hte rifle being moved off target is much greater with the floating elbow. So its not that I wont take a free elbow shot but I will try to use the most stable supported position when I get my shot because I might not get a chance for another shot

One very important thing in hunting is the awareness of shooting without a backstop and one should always try to position himself that if the shot misses it does not endanger anyone who may be behind the quarry. A lot many times its a wise thing to drop the shot if there is a chance that the bullet will carry on if u miss. The adrenalin which can totally clobber a competition shooter can help a hunter by helping him bend or streatch or take a position which he could not thave taken normally and shoot.

So in my opinion there is no good or bad position - the position which gets the job done with max. chance of sucess is the best position for hunting so dont get confused and biased over positions and always exercise "mazboot pakar" lest u drop and damage your equipment

However the the wind and mirage ,changing natural light and position of the sun remain a common factor in both competition shooting and daytime hunting.

what are the recommended/ allowed calibres in these competitions. Well In India only ISSF comps are held and u can shoot anything upto and including 8 mm cal. no AP or tracer ammo though

what are good, affordable/ available -both in india and abroad- rifles in each of these categories?

In India only the IOF .315 is available right now however the IOF .30'06 should be launched shortly and u will have a much better chance competing with that. The imported rifles r pretty expensive and most hunting rifles with the tapered sporter kind barrels might not be upt firing 70+ shots in an hour so u need a rifle with a bull barrel or a heavy barrel hunting rifle, besides u might not want to modify the super-expensive rifle to add the peep sights

Abroad you can buy any rifle which takes your fancy - important crieteria - Bull barrel , Crisp trigger which has high degree of repeatability and good sights. However a few manufacturers have been making production rifles specially for competition use this leads to cheaper costs , highly tested and proven product and ease of repairability because the spares are readily avaialble and dont have to be custom fit or made. I have touched upon this topic in my post in the ISSF section on sporting arms manufacturers.

are scopes allowed? (silly question)

ISSF alows only peep sights - spotting scopes to spot your shots r allowed though You have higpower and benchrest comps in a few countries where scopes r also used.

plz recommend some scopes. (see rifles question.)

The "scope" of the above ques. is literally too vast. You haveto set down certain basic crieteria before recomendations : the cal. of rifle, range at which you want to zero it , use of the rifle, how many green ones you want to spend ? and lastly if u have any prefrence for some manufacturers. Lots of sites keep testing scopes of a certain type or cost against the competition and I thing there results should give you a fair idea about what to buy.

well Shooter -Hope this is of some help

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Shooter wrote:

first of all, thanks mundaire for the separate thread.
we were going ot and ott arguing in the previous thread.
Lets have a separate thread for arguments.
also, i feel this thread isnt just fao shutzen and mehul but ALL IFG members. Dont u agree?

thanks shutzen.
this was helpful.
hav a 315 in india and though im no expert, its not as bad as some claim it is.
could it be because it is an old one?
i think the newer batches should have better quality.
anyways, what is the meaning of 'big bore'?

from what you say, thinking as a doctor and a sportsman, i think running/ aerobics plus weight training for upper body strength can be very useful for rifle shooting.
not to mention yoga/meditation.
how does one achieve consistancy in breathing (plz refer to mehuls answer to my first enquiry.)

Most practice i did was with national airgun.
used to shoot at least 100/day everyday starting at age 14.
after few months got consistant/ good enough to hit a (thick) nail/ pencil at 10 m.
first competition at 16-17.
practice rounds- worst shot was in 8 circle.
during competition shot so badly. now i realise it was performance anxiety.
all my frnds/ younger cousins were there expecting me to nail it.
felt soo embaressed, never even tried to compete after that.
now am old/fat. tried mundaires airgun/air pistol while he was in London.
the reaasults were more disheartning.
now im determined to get better.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Mundaire wrote:

Shooter,

The "FAO Mehul & Shutzen" portion of the subject was based on your first post on this thread wherein you specifically directed your questions at both the gentlemen in question... of course this does not preclude others joining in - it's just a specific request for both Mehul & Shutzen to contribute their knowledge on this thread...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:06 pm

Shutzen wrote:

Well Shooter we just started you have to get back shooting and we have to shoot a big bore national to shoot

hav a 315 in india and though im no expert, its not as bad as some claim it is.
could it be because it is an old one?

I have one too and have got good results with it . In fact when I scoped it local gunsmiths used to come to my house to see it !

i think the newer batches should have better quality.
Logically they should - u only xpect a manufacturing process to improove with time

anyways, what is the meaning of 'big bore'?
another misnomer carried forward from the UIT days. I donno but have to chk if earlier they were shooting bigger calibers in the matches. The .22 rimfire was relagated to the small bore category and the other centerfire rifles were classified as big bore . Basically u r allowed to fire any cal upt 8mm - so you could be shooting .222 or .223 and still they would be classified big bore though in cal. they are virtually .22 rimfire diameter.

Most practice i did was with national airgun.
used to shoot at least 100/day everyday starting at age 14.
after few months got consistant/ good enough to hit a (thick) nail/ pencil at 10 m.

thats pretty cool my first airgun (competition airgun) was a IHP hamerli co2 . I wore out several Indian .22 airirfles before this ******* /plinking (Edited once again ) at the farm though. Was pretty good myself

first competition at 16-17.

somehow never got around to competing in AR caouse felt its a kiddie match , and also did no think too much about the .22 either - Lack of exposure to the sport I guess - was too busy with pest control. Shot my first competition at 38 ! with a open sight IOF .22 Rifle and came in 9th in my state competition.

during competition shot so badly. all my frnds/ younger cousins were there expecting me to nail it.
felt soo embaressed, never even tried to compete after that.

Happens to a lot of people - you should not feel embarrased or disheartened but try and analize your mistakes and rework your training to overcome those flaws. At my first AIGVM was shocked to see the number of competitiors and was also more surprised that some of them were coming for their 5-6 attempt to try and qualify ! Thats what match pressure can do.

now i realise it was performance anxiety.

Well I have found that the Goras have done a lot of research and coined sevral fanciful phrases another eg : PID = performance induced dioreaha - those are the poor guys who you see rushing to the loos at the range before their comp. starts becuz they work up their tension to such levels that their tummies cant cope.

now am old/fat. tried mundaires airgun/air pistol while he was in London.
the reaasults were more disheartning.
now im determined to get better

Glad to hear that - we all r getting old and fat but working hard to stay fit and keep competing. Firing any rifle /pistol takes some practice as u r well aware. Off hand if u just pick up a gun without practice you cannot expect results. Put in some dry aiming practice and u should be okay.

I'll share some things with you here:

1. U get down to shooting your .22 50 M match and in your prep time u try to set up ur spotting scope - either u struggle through ur prep time to get it set or ur prep time runs out while u r still struggling anxiety level + u deciede to shoot ur match with a improperly setup scope and ur antics to spot the shot through the improperly set scope screws up ur position as u cran ur neck up /down or lean to ur left to peer through it and u cant shoot upto expectations all the while ur anxiety factor is going +++

2. U go through ur first 6-7 sighting shots getting into the groove and then start hitting tens and u realize the time has come to start the record shots - u call out "record" and the first target comes up - in the meantime ur brain has gone inot overdirve and u shoot ur first shot with a tense strong hold and hit a 7 or a 8 u llok thru the scope and panic - how come a ten hold has hit a 7? u take another shot another 8! its the muscle tension baby but u give some sight adjustments and get back into your comfort zone and start shooting in a rythym - ur body relaxes - the poor scope alignment screws u up and as ur body relaxes the zero shifts and suddenlly u hit another 7-8. U htink u r tired and u increase concentration and shoot again with bad equally bad results and start giving sight corrections again as per ur relaxed body and try to get back : very important to have ur body relaxed , hold rifle without any excess muscle tension, do not exert any more pressure in the match pulling back on ur rifle than the relaxed hold with which u started.
3. As ur anxiety goes up u start holding ur breath for extended periods to try and centre hold ur rifle and fire a good shot -leading to oxygen starvation and ur heart starts pumping at higher rates and u start breating faster and shallower - hell why is the rifle jumping all around the bull with the pulse transmission through the sling- u exert more force and pull the rifle back into ur shoulder and as ur good sight picture comes up u forget all trigger control and jerk the trigger throwing the shot wild -then u realise ur elbow and wrist are hurting like hell aniexty level +++++ to cap it all off u forget/ seem confused about the elev and windage corrections - r u giving correction properly or u r sure u r doing it wrong - big goof as u keep chasing the bull

4. U pause after a bad shot and u suddenly fell heavy bass thud thud thud sound - u look around for the source - and no it aint the street brats cars boom box its ur own heart beating and it sounds as if the entire range can hear it - u look around at your neighbor to see if he can hear it

5. as u r shooting u try and keep a mental score - part of ur mind is distracted with remembering the score and how many more mistakes you have left to qualify and suddenly u realise the margin for error is shrinking and mentally start giving up the match as lost and ur shooting goes from bad to worse

the above are only some of the common mistakes and faults that occour during a match. I have just outlined them so that u can read them - have a good laugh and start thinking afresh about starting out.

from what you say, thinking as a doctor and a sportsman, i think running/ aerobics plus weight training for upper body strength can be very useful for rifle shooting.
not to mention yoga/meditation.

well physical fitness is important for general well being and any sport. for shooting aerobics and light weights should do. I havnt tried yoga mediation yet but it should increase your concetration

how does one achieve consistancy in breathing (plz refer to mehuls answer to my first enquiry.)
Well thats a huge topic in itself will deal with it later. Right now just go through my noob shhoter walkthrough and tell me which point I missed out ? and how close I am to your exp have fun?

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:09 pm

Hamiclar wrote:

just for the record, it's actually termed IBS:irritable bowel syndrome, (quite different from IBD:inflammatory bowel disease) , because of it's psychosomatic origin....read :disease of the mind.

Typical example, people who feel an urge to go to the loo just before being called for that vital job interview.

Best cure : I'll tell you when i discover it

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Grumpy wrote:

Wouldn`t that have to be `IrriTATING Bowel Syndrome` ?

Irritable Bowel Syndrome is psychosomatic ? I don`t think so.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Hamiclar wrote.:

read again and note : "irritable", not to be confused with it's vicious cousin inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), which is comprised of crohn's and ulcerative colitis.

IBS is essentially a diagnosis of exclusion (even if you read between the lines of the revised criteria), while immune theories have been forwarded, the autonomic imbalance it is associated with is commonly linked to stress.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Grumpy wrote.:

Thanks for the explaination Hamilclar.....You ( I ) learn something every day........hopefully.
I think it would surprise many ( most ? ) people to discover that IBS is linked to stress..........and possibly wouldn`t amuse them.