Road to Becoming a Renowned Shot

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Road to Becoming a Renowned Shot

Post by Safarigent » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:23 pm

As an aside i am writing this is to inform my friends and critics here that today, i scored a 103/125 in the just concluded nationals and have, by scoring above the MQS become a Renowned Shot.
This long hard road has finally reached its end and i am going to begin another journey whose path will hopefully take me higher up!
See, i did it. I didnt have an Uncle or a family friend who could loan me a shotgun and ammunition. On my own initiative, i got my membership of the DSRA, NRAI, KSSR sorted out. I took the guidance of people( whom over the course of one year or more i am honoured to call my friends) and started taking baby steps. I 'borrowed' ammunition where i could not get any. I found a shotgun. I did what i had to. Standing in the heat of the summers under an open cloudless sky, sweating away to glory with the stock becoming wet and the barrels hot is not fun and only your dedication can carry you forth.
And unlike some, i am not a gifted shooter, i had to crawl and work my way up to a decent mark. But i did.
Today, i am looking to import my own shotgun and ammunition and this cycle will replicate itself every year for me.
Why am i writing this here? Not for the kudos and appreciation coming my way. But for those chaps who get put off by the amount of work one has to do. Our country is not the best place for a sport shooter, but given the dedication and stubborness, it can work out for you as well.
We need the shooting sports to be as inclusive as possible. We need mothers and fathers and wives and daughters and sons and nephews and nieces on the ranges, shooting away to glory. For them to do so, we need to put in the hard work.
The beauty is, its possible.
My story inspired a few guys here to pick up the cudgels against a blatantly illegitimate policy of licensing and they came out on tops. If this ending insoires a few more to take the next step, these words of mine would have been worth the minutes it took ke to write them down.
To Excellence through Diligence.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Road to Becoming a Renowned Shot

Post by Vikram » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Arjun,

Let me be the first to congratulate you. Very well done and brilliant job. Let it be just the beginning to greater glories.All the very best.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:38 pm

Congratulations Arjun.

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Safarigent wrote:As an aside i am writing this is to inform my friends and critics here that today, i scored a 103/125 in the just concluded nationals and have, by scoring above the MQS become a Renowned Shot.
This long hard road has finally reached its end and i am going to begin another journey whose path will hopefully take me higher up!
Well done. Congatulations on a hard won achievement.

All the best.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Ganesh TT
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ganesh TT » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Congrats bro...
Thanks

GANESH TT

only32owner
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by only32owner » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Heartiest Congratulation AB, :D

These are few lines written by you in few minutes, but it speaks a volume.

I can understand , the type of hardwork and determination required to achive what you have achived.

You are indeed a source of insperation, to many like me.

Regards.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:25 pm

Thank you guys, another member here, NM has also qualified.

nm
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by nm » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:42 pm

I started skeet last year and Totally agree with Safarigent....here one faces difficulties at every step. Starting from getting DSRA membership form, then DSRA membership, NRAI membership, KSSR membership, etc......the entry barrier into this 'elite' club is quite challenging! (Specially, If you don't have the right connections).

I didn't have a gun of my own and was using range gun.....that made me dependent on the whims and fancies of SAI officials. Getting Ammo at range from DSRA officals was another big feat....requesting them to come to range and then waiting for them to ration ammo :(

Now after having qualified I feel elated and looking forward to having my own gun and ammo :)

Like Safarigent said, Beginners do face a tough time in our anti gun system and shooting sports.......but I've realised with grit and perseverance it's doable.

Hoping more shooters come forward....
Nishant
Last edited by nm on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:49 pm

I hear you nishant!
Gents, Nishant showed sinews of steel. He had to score 21 to qualify. And went and shot 22, iirc
While one may shoot a 25 quite easily without thinking about it but the moment you are under pressure to hit 25, the ball game changes!
It takes nerves of steel to overcome that performance pressure and shoot the requires score!
With all the facilities being provided to the Delhi Shooters its a shame we dont see more people on the ranges.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:53 pm

NM,

Congratulations to you and all the very best with your future endeavours.Let is be just the beginning. Keep sharing your inspirational accomplishments with the members.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

only32owner
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by only32owner » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Congratulations to you also nm. :D

Now my HOPE is double.

Regards.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Congratulations Arjun for achieving this milestone. Hope you achieve many more!!

On a gloomy day as this one this has been cheerful news. Commendable work no doubt!

Regards,
Sumit

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:20 pm

[quote="Safarigent"]
As an aside i am writing this is to inform my friends and critics here that today, i scored a 103/125 in the just concluded nationals and have, by scoring above the MQS become a Renowned Shot.
See, i did
My story inspired a few guys here to pick up the cudgels against a blatantly illegitimate policy of licensing and they came out on tops. If this ending insoires a few more to take the next step, these words of mine would have been worth the minutes it took to write them down.

Hi Arjun,
> It was very interesting to read about your perseverance and the subsequent achievement.
> In doing so you have raised your own benchmark every step of the way - and am sure that greater achievements are in store for you :D
> Your words certainly are more than worth the time that took you to write them :D
> Way to go man ........Keep going!
> Have a great week-end!
> Wish you a Very Happy New Year :D :D :D
Briha

Tango_ Charli
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Tango_ Charli » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Congratulations sir.

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:54 pm

Arjun,

Congratulation! I'm glad your persistence and hard work paid off!

And yes, your story has inspired many, including me, to fight the bureaucracy! Btw, now that you are a renowned show, might I suggest putting in an application with DP Licnesing to get your ammunition quota increased to 15,000. You can quote their internal policy from SO 264 when you apply ;)