Congrats Ollie on becoming renowned shot in Free Pistol

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Congrats Ollie on becoming renowned shot in Free Pistol

Post by xl_target » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:26 pm

WooHoo! Congrats Ollie.
Way to go!
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Thanks a ton guys... for the good wishes !

The target was 500/600 to achieve MQS in the 50m Free Pistol event, which is dubbed by many as the 'toughest of the Olympic shooting events' {http://www.pilkguns.com/c17.shtml}. Using a borrowed pistol and only the fourth ever time that I held that pistol (once each for Delhi State, North Zone, GV Mavalankar, earlier) and shot about 225 rounds in all, with no practice what-so-ever, it was indeed an uphill task. But I guess, sheer grit and determination and the constant push and encouragement of gents like Mundaire, Dev, NM, Amit, Jaspal Rana, Rajiv Sharma, Falaq and many more, kept up the morale and killed the adversity ! Ofcourse a Silver Medal at the Delhi State and a Bronze Medal at the North Zone, acted like catalysts to keep up the spirit... !

Now, looking back, I can say that nothing is impossible - its just a question of enjoying the sport and playing it sincerely. Despite the complaining from 45 year old bones, a protest by the the shoulders and arms; and a rebellion by the knees and back, it was the mind that took me through.

Your love and encouragement will certainly see me shooting for a long long time... once a shooter, always a shooter !!

Now for the choice between Hammerli and Morini... :)

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:30 pm

BTW, I used a Hammerli and shot a score of 504...

AND, I'm not leaving my knives for the powder burners... ! The Guinness Book needs to be conquered still.... :wink:

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Dear Ollie,

Heartiest congratulations on your achievement.

You are an inspiration to aspiring shooters like me (aam aadmi).

Cheers....

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:22 am

Dear Olly,
That is a great performance with so less training and practice. hat's off again!!!
Which Hämmerli pistol did you use? I have a acquired a Swiss made 2nd hand Hämmerli FP60 (not the current Walther made one) recently (although waiting to file my demand for a license) and I am pretty satisfied with it. The only complaint it has from different fora is that it's aluminium frame tends to wear out because steel screws are directly milled inside the aluminium frame (steel on alu seems to be eating out the alu). But if proper care is taken, it should not be that much an issue.
I will stick to mine because I got it 2nd hand at a very reasonable price with a grip of my size.
Morini is the choice of almost everyone but I was told by many that it is a very difficult gun (unforgiving) to shoot with. If you have the possibility, i would suggest you to have a look on the Matchgun MG5 mechanical trigger. This weapon is having rave reviews since some time now and brand new, it is much cheaper than the Morini & Hämmerli.

best regards
tirpassion

only32owner
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by only32owner » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:23 am

Hi Olly,
Heartiest congratulations :D .

You proved it , it not only the gun but the MAN behind the GUN.

We all know, you are such a wonderful writer also. Why not post an article about this journey to become renowed shot , in one of the most difficult desipline, 50M free pistol event.

It will help all novice like me , and keep their hope alive.

Regards.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks guys !

I used a Hammerli, don't know the model no. but certainly the mechanical version...
Morini has the highest ratings in the Free Pistol Olympic event, hence should be the weapon of choice... Yes, it is unforgiving; but at our level, its the guy who's at fault so long you are using a world-class gun...

I'd love to share all my experience with enthusiasts and ofcourse I am available for any advice, except that my views are pretty simplistic and ordinary... and purely out of my own experience... I haven't had a coach, except for 'advice' from Jaspal Rana and a couple of other friends. I've also proved that you don't need to shoot thousands of rounds to become a renowned shot - a few hundreds can do ! Also, for pistol shooters, the 10m pistol is the base for all pistol shooting and just practicing on Air can do the trick !

Regards,

:cheers: